Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely Sawdust and for the best possible purpose. Making something special for someone you valued and held dear. Without gabbing on too much, is there a better reason?
What did you use as an acid etch blank if you don't mind me asking?
Best regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I’ve gone through my trial and error in this post...

does-anyone-here-have-a-vinyl-cutter-plotter-t116635-15.html

But in short its a 1.5mm thick stainless steel plate (from ebay) and i used the laserjet printer method. Not perfect or a deep enough etch to my satisfaction, but i did my best and the family are pleased which is the main thing. If i was etching aluminium or brass in this method i have no doubt that it would etch deeper/quicker

Crikey, I saw that post and thought it was some lazor eyed router robot arm project that would go completely over my head! :oops:
Thanks. I will take a look fella. Thanks for the reply too. Much appreciated. I have a had a couple of goes, wasn't satisfied, put to one side. I'd love to get it sorted.
Cheers
Chris

made some outdoor steps, the pics are before I varnished it with le tonkinois, luckily I managed to put two layers on before it starting raining like it is doing now! got some more varnishing to do when it gets dry, a lot of work went into this.

Attachments

• 47646865861_c399f0fb6d_k.jpg
    47646865861_c399f0fb6d_k.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 47646868941_8fed1f5a9c_k.jpg
    47646868941_8fed1f5a9c_k.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 46922810344_312b9cf32b_k.jpg
    46922810344_312b9cf32b_k.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 80
I really admire your dedication Ben.
Hope they work out for your parents (if I remember right).
Well done. Joinery is bang on as always.
Still not sure it's the entirely the best solution in relation to materials but that's not for me to say.
Regards
Chris

A pair of basic boxes, ABW & Curly Birch and Zebrano & Maple.

IMG_20190426_084322.jpg

IMG_20190426_084522.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190426_084522.jpg
    IMG_20190426_084522.jpg
    787.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20190426_084322.jpg
    IMG_20190426_084322.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 204
A very nice pair of boxes, something to be proud of Sir. I must say that I prefer the darker wood rather than the "stripey", but that's purely a matter of personal taste. BOTH look very well made indeed (and I DID enlarge the pix as big as they'd go).

I thank you sir, I also prefer the darker one, and Zebrano is a pipper to work with as it seems brittle and like to blow out and splinter. Id love a bandsaw to make bigger panels instead of having to intentionally use the tablesaw to resaw smaller widths, but i just don't have the space :(

Oh. Have you seen the little Makita band saw - table top? It's in our stores here (Switzerland) and am pretty sure it will be available in UK?

I have a cheapo Einhell band saw of similar size to the Makita - it's bolted to the other end of a mobile bench/table thingy with my scroll saw bolted to the other end. I wouldn't recommend the Einhell to anyone though, but as said, it's a similar size to the Makita (which I've seen in a local dealer here). It looks very nice compared to my Einhell, but then at 3 times the price it should do! But with a decent Tuffsaws blade and set up courtesy of Steve Maskery's band saw DVD the Einhell does do the job (WITH care)!

The only one I can see in the UK isn't a benchtop, it's the 1200 which comes in at 82Kgs :/ and not glowing reviews. review-of-makita-lb1200f-305mm-12-bandsaw-t97885.html.

My biggest problem as I said is space, I literally have a 7x7 resin shed which contains an MFT, Bosch XC10, Makita LS1019l, Small dust extractor, makita thicknesser and a tiny amount of storage. Then inside the house in the cupboard under the stairs I keep all my systainers and finish stuff. Renting a house I can't build a workshop so im looking to buy a new house with room for a decent sized garage or purpose built shop. Everything in the shed is big and heavy enough not to get pinched :)

I don't think the wife would be impressed with a bandsaw in the living room....some people can be soo selfish :)

An end grain chopping board for Mrs. memzey. 12” x 20” x 2 1/2”. Made of Sapele, beech and Keruing:
fB15jVE.jpg

K9Pl19w.jpg

@memzey: nice cutting board mate.

@craigsalisbury: Sorry, my fault! Search for Metabo BAS 261 - NOT Makita (in my "defence" they do both start with "M")!!!!

Edit forP.S: Can't see why the Missus should object to a band saw in the living room craig - especially if it produced stuff like your boxes, above, or memzey's cutting board. What's the matter with the woman? :D :D :D

Cheers Andy. There’s no denying that women can be the most peculiar of creatures, although no doubt they could say the same of men as well! Anyway funnily enough the bandsaw was one machine that wasn’t used on that chopping board. Plenty of action for the table saw, planer thicknesser and radial arm saw though, along with hand tools!

A damn fine cutting board, I haven't made any end grain ones yet, but when i do make cutting boards they seem to disappear off to other peoples houses before i get a chance to use any.

I'm thinking whether I could disguise a bandsaw by putting a mirror in front of it or something. Before I had the small shed, I had the MFT in the dining room with a mitre saw and thicknesser tucked underneath and within 5 minutes it had a tablecloth and a vase of flowers plonked on it....so anythings possible i guess.

craigsalisbury":3ds69nos said:
I'm thinking whether I could disguise a bandsaw by putting a mirror in front of it or something.
Lmao! Brilliant.

*whispers... Psssst Get an Inca! Bluetack a lightbulb to it and stick it on the mantlepiece. Tell your Mrs its an Art Installation. Always best to hide in plain sight.

Moxon vic using the Benchraft kit from CHT

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

Made from 45mm thick Euro Oak - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 147
Bm101":1ixz3xi2 said:
craigsalisbury":1ixz3xi2 said:
I'm thinking whether I could disguise a bandsaw by putting a mirror in front of it or something.
Lmao! Brilliant.

*whispers... Psssst Get an Inca! Bluetack a lightbulb to it and stick it on the mantlepiece. Tell your Mrs its an Art Installation. Always best to hide in plain sight.

cover it in fairy lights and call it an aussie christmas tree :)

AES":2tr3yxiq said:
@memzey: nice cutting board mate.

@craigsalisbury: Sorry, my fault! Search for Metabo BAS 261 - NOT Makita (in my "defence" they do both start with "M")!!!!

I havent head anything good about Metabo products, but ill look into it, cheers :)

OK craig, I'm not a Matabo owner myself, but their stuff generally gets good write ups here. That's about all I can say, except that the model I referenced will fit on a table top. I'm thinking of looking at one myself, to get rid of my pretty horrid Einhell, but it won't be any time soon, so can't say anything further, sorry.

Back