New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning flying haggis and Kirk,

Spoilsport, tease - nothing was further from my mind :-" :---) [-X [-o<

Hello Adam, welcome to the collective. :) If you look on the first page at posting 12, you will find an envy exemption clause. :shock: :wink:

Don’t lose sight of the fact that, inside, it is only a box, with machinery and and a numpty
mangling wood .....err, that would be me. :oops:

Right, I must get on, I am assembling the window today. More on that later.

Regards...Dick.

Dick

You'll need to get a move on then ..... first of today's rugby matches is on a 4p.m. but the important one is not on till 8.00 p.m. :lol: :lol:

Keep up the good work as you must be nearing the home straight now.

Hi folks,
Another exciting day at the ranch :)
Firstly, the DGU was placed in the frame to ascertain the spacer size. The glass had been made far to large :evil: so the gap was about 2 to 3mm ....sigh. Spacers were made from a soup container - no expense spared here. :roll: Then the Hodgson’s Flexstrip was fitted round the glass rebate. This is a 2mm thick butyl bedding compound. What a pain in the pineapple this is to do. It doesn’t lend itself to going round circles, even ones this big. Because the removable back cover is wider than the butyl, it is difficult to get it set right on the edge. Grrr.
See this beautifully crafted cock up below.

p1010212x.jpg

Next the DGU was dropped (carefully) into the frame and the spacers fitted. Boy does this stuff grip ...who needs glazing tape (sorry Dibs :-" ). We then pressed down to fully seat the glass into the butyl . This wasn’t a raging success, due to the coolness of the conservatory; and we wanted to see a clear even seal all round. So :idea: turn on the underfloor heating, turn it up to 20℃ and place the assembly on the floor, and go and have coffee.......Some time later....

We tried pressing it down with more success, but not enough. So there is this vision for anyone strolling past, of two people standing on a glass window holding each other steady and moving round a bit, flexing the knees to give extra downward pressure, move round and repeat this merry dance - a bit like a scene from Zorba the Greek :shock: :lol: :lol:
Having gone round four times, the goop was duly squozed flat all round. The window was now level with the top of the rebate ... phew.

The frame was turned over and the excess goop knifed off ..... oh, if only it was that simple. The bloody stuff sticks to the knife and the glass, and won’t pull off, roll of, or any other ‘off. Having got the worst off, it was tidied up with white spirit and a plastic bag over my thumbnail. It can’t be left too long because the butyl starts to dissolve.

The window now needs securing into the tube, so we marked the tube top and bottom, and measured round to get four positions 45° off axis. These were drilled for 5mm screws.
Then silicone was gunned round the recess of the tube and the window lowered in, not forgetting the orientation. The screws were not fully driven in, as there was some gapping and spacers had to be fitted so that the tube wasn’t pulled out of shape ....there had been some shrinkage over time.

The assembly was flipped over and the squeeze out checked, there was none, which was just right, as we wanted to fill the minimal gap with calk so that it could be painted. I can’t believe that it has gone this well, considering the start. \:D/ \:D/
We then flipped the window back over and caulked the inside. Job done bar fitting the hold-in ring ... which I had forgotten to finish painting......doh!

p1010214eo.jpg

So, tomorrow, the flip side needs painting; the caulking needs painting, and ...oh yes, the tube has developed some parting in places, so they will need re-glueing. The tube has been kicked around a bit. See below the state of play to date.

p1010213s.jpg

Hello Charlie,

Having been born without a sport gene :wink: I don’t suffer from the need to stop early :)
I wish that we were near the home straight. There is still the other end to do, that’s clad the overhang, fit the bargeboards, fit the cladding round the other window, make four doors, finish the roof insulation, fit more insulation in the walls, and then clad all of the inside. And then there is the little matter of running the power all the way across the house and tunnel out to the workshop....hmm, you are right - not much to do......aaaaah.

Regards....Dick.

Cegidfa":35nb547b said:
Hi folks,
Another exciting day at the ranch :)

We tried pressing it down with more success, but not enough. So there is this vision for anyone strolling past, of two people standing on a glass window holding each other steady and moving round a bit, flexing the knees to give extra downward pressure, move round and repeat this merry dance - a bit like a scene from Zorba the Greek :shock: :lol: :lol:

Regards....Dick.

Nah sounds more like the Glaziers dance from Much Binding on the Marsh :lol: Seriousley keep up the entertaining work Dick, sorry the great work.

xy

At last.......

The window is fitted.
First I had to make the fit through the hole tighter, so more foam was required. The question is, how do I do it and remove the ring? The answer was to wrap the other ring in plastic and coat it with bar/chain oil. Then refit the ring and carefully pump more foam in from both sides; leave overnight and see what betides on the morrow.
I tried to turn the ring but it wouldn’t budge; but it would wiggle back and forth. Then I was able to withdraw it....hurrah.

At the foam/goop interstices, the foam took on a different look; it went quite hard and glassy, but this wasn’t a problem. The minimal excess was trimmed off and the window was now ready for fitting.

First the expanding foam was fitted to the overlap. This fitted round the tube a treat, unlike the butyl. We then lifted the window up onto the scaff’ using a ladder each, and pushed it through the now tight hole ... ‘don’t you love it when a plan goes together.’
I then pushed the frame as far into the cladding as was possible whilst Diane climbed up inside to set in the four fixing screws......job done.The black foam that we used proved to be the best answer as it vanished in the shadow line and expanded to fill all the spaces.
If left uncoiled, it expands to around 50mm deep, so there is no fear of any gaps.
So here is the finished article, sans scaffolding. To say that we are chuffed, is an understatement. \:D/ \:D/ :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion5:

finishedend.jpg

Hello houtslager,

Thanks for that; so are we going to see a WIP of the octagon window? Let’s see how a pro does it.

Hello xy,

Much Binding in the Marsh. Good grief, I didn’t realise that you were that old.......
I may be wrong, but are you not conflating two different things here? There was the ‘merry glazier’s song’ from ‘The Gas Man Cometh’ by Flanders and Swann?
I have to rein in my ‘sense of humour’ as it is a little odd at times; but I try to get a balance between dry ‘prose’ and some levity, that being my default mode.

Regards.....DIck.

That looks excellent, Dick. You've done a great job. I hope the other one will go easier.

If you're still worried about leaks, you can always spray around it with your hose and see if you get anything on the inside. Might want to give it a couple of days to make sure the expanding foam is fully set up.

Kirk

Hi dick, yes I remember the Light Program. As it happens I was listening to 'Round the Horn' as I read your post. As for 'The Gas man Cometh' I had forgotten that reference to the Glazier's Song. It seemed to me you were 'binding' the glass to the .... Well never mind.
Another well thought out solution to a problem well executed. Great stuff.
xy

Yeah not bad :wink: :wink: But what took you so long :wink: :wink:

I've enjoyed following this from the start and it has been inspiring. I hope you continue with a WIP of the interior. Do you think that you will be in by christmas - a much beloved phase of the TV renovation/build programmes.

Cheers

Andy

Dick,

just remember although the foam will expand to 50mm it doesn't give a full weather seal at full 50mm expansion

Chris

ps
the window looks really good.

any pics from the inside??

jlawrence":3pmi92ny said:
I can't believe at that size you can avoid either planning or building regs.

you cant it exceeds allowable height and because electrics are inolved will need building regs approval, unless I am very much mistaken.

Hi folks,

I forgot to mention yesterday which expanding foam I used for sealing the window.
I used the stuff suggested by Chris (Mcluma) and it does a good job ... Thanks Chris.
See the link below for supplier.

http://expandingfoamtape.co.uk/gap-size-10-18-mm

Thanks to all of you for the kind words ... The spirit of Chippy Minton rules ..... if your children grew up with Camberwick Green that is. Kirk may have to look that one up?

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the suggestion, the fit was really tight, and I will further seal the inside of the insulation just to be sure. I just can’t bring myself to whet that which I have just finished.

Hello flying haggis,

Thanks for the link; that was a very well executed film.

Hello xy,

Your radio must have one hell of a reception delay on it :shock: :) First class comedy though.

Hello dedee,

Welcome to the Borg collective....... What took me so long? I’ll have you know that this is one of my faster projects :wink: The WIP will continue inside, but it won’t have the pazazz of the outside.
How exciting can wall cladding get? Yes, we will be in by Christmas.......but I’m not saying which one.

Hello Dibs,

Thanks for pointing me to Hodgsons. The butyl strip worked well, once we had warmed it up. :) Yes, it was only fitted to one side, as I screwed a separate ring to the inside, not that it was going to fall out. That stuff sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. :shock: :wink:

Following Wildman's terse comments on J Lawrence's original question about planning, over a year ago. The regulations are very straightforward; you do not require planning permission if your building is more than 2m from a boundary, more than 20 metres from a highway, more than 5 metres from the original house and does not take up more than half of the surrounding garden. The only restrictions in this case are are that the ridged roof should not be taller than 4 metres and the eaves not more than 2.5 metres.
To avoid building regulations the internal floor area must be not more than 30 square metres. For the electrics you would need to use an electrician qualified to Part P who will issue a certificate.

The above information is taken from "Planning A Guide for Householders. What you need to know about the planning system." Published by the Welsh Assembly.
And the Planning Portal (for England) states exactly the same conditions.

Many people seem to have a lot of trouble with what can and can't be built. All we did was to go to our local planning office and ask. The planning clerk then gave us the booklet mentioned above. It is clear and easy to interpret. So don't be afraid to talk to your Planning Dept.

And to satisfy flying haggis and Chris, here’a shot of the inside. I can tease no longer.

insideview.jpg

Regards....Dick.

Hi Dick

If you fitted the butyl strip to the outside, you will have trimmed the excess butyl off - ideally it needs to be trimmed to the same angle as the external beading. Also run a fine bead of silicone over the top of the the cut, sealing the "interface" between the glass, strip & beading.

On the whole I found it easier to trim using a curved blade.

HIH

Dibs

Back