New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cegidfa":tvr3s45p said:
Thanks to all of you for the kind words ... The spirit of Chippy Minton rules ..... if your children grew up with Camberwick Green that is. Kirk may have to look that one up?
Ah, a sort of 60's Bob the Builder. "Can we build it? Yes we can!"

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the suggestion, the fit was really tight, and I will further seal the inside of the insulation just to be sure. I just can’t bring myself to whet that which I have just finished.
You mean I can't whet your appetite to wet your window, Dick?:)

And to satisfy flying haggis and Chris, here’a shot of the inside. I can tease no longer.

insideview.jpg

Regards....Dick.

By the way, your bandsaw is way too short for your ceiling. We're gonna have to get you into a nice Wadkin after you get settled in.

Kirk

Morning Dibs,

Given that I used white spirit and a thumb nail to ‘reseal and reform’ the cut edge, do you feel that the weatherproof nature of the butyl would have been compromised enough to warrant the extra silicone?
Careful Dibs, you are in danger of turning into a walking Hodgsons window manual. :shock: :) :)

Morning Kirk,

Sort of like Bob the Builder, but a more genteel lifestyle where everyone is friendly and helpful. That was the ethos I was comparing with the people on this site.

‘Whet that which I have just finished’ .. Oh dear, how did that extra h slip in there. :shock:
I will claim concussion, because I tried to take a pic of the window (inside) from a set of steps...that were situated under one of the cross beams, and yes, we collided. So I have an egg on my head...again, doh. And to add insult to injury, the pic wasn’t very good. :wink:

It’s not the bandsaw that is too short, the ceiling is too high.
There is no way on earth that Diane and I could person handle a Wadkin.....I know our limitations. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to an army of big butch blokes.
Hmm, perhaps I should rephrase that sentence? :shock: :D

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":38jtssyt said:
It’s not the bandsaw that is too short, the ceiling is too high.
There is no way on earth that Diane and I could person handle a Wadkin.....I know our limitations. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to an army of big butch blokes.
Hmm, perhaps I should rephrase that sentence? :shock: :D

Regards...Dick.
Who said anything about "an army of big butch blokes"? Just get a batch of friends:
scaled.php

Pay 'em in pizza and beer, and all's good.:)

Kirk

Cegidfa":dn518wmb said:
Morning Dibs,

Given that I used white spirit and a thumb nail to ‘reseal and reform’ the cut edge, do you feel that the weatherproof nature of the butyl would have been compromised enough to warrant the extra silicone?
Careful Dibs, you are in danger of turning into a walking Hodgsons window manual. :shock: :) :)

Regards...Dick.

Dick

What can I say? :oops:

Problem I found with the butyl is that in the process of cutting it - it never cuts perfectly and drags and tears slightly. Running a very fine bead of silicone over the top (IIRC - I didn't trim the end of the nozzle as it had a 2-3mm opening as std) and flattening that, deals with the unevenness in the butyl.

Having said that yours is a round window with very little in the sense of a true horizontal surface so you might be OK. Only you know the state of the butyl on the outer surface, so make a call based on that.

Dibs

Hello Kirk,

They look pretty strong to me :shock: :D You haven’t seen me in summer clothing; I’m more like an escapee from Stalag Luft 3.
We could manage the rolling across the floor; it’s the lifting out of the delivery vehicle and into the shop that would present the problem.
Not to mention that it would have to stay easily moveable, as the shop is a lot smaller than your young house. :wink:

Hi Dibs,

The butyl is intractable stuff; there’s no, just slice off the excess, and on the curve, as per the instructions.
And that’s a good point about leaving the nozzle as it is, to get a tiny seal. Gunning mastic is not one of my strong points, so keeping it small is a good move, as there is less to smear everywhere. Now, if only I hadn’t been so hasty in taking down the scaffolding. :cry:

Regards...Dick.

Hi folks,

Whilst waiting for some more ply and wood to be delivered, so that I could comlete the other overhang, I started on the door manufacture. Needless to say, there are no drawbore mortice and tenon joints here :shock: just a multitude of Dominos. :shock: It will be interesting to see if they can take the weight of the frame and two glass panels.
I cut the rebates using the tracksaw and finished with the Fein, then cleaned up with a chisel. I'm sure it would have been easier to rebate all the way along and overlap the rails, as per bought windows and doors.

Four per joint were used top and bottom, and two in the middle.
I did a dry run and there was an error which required an angled brace to pull it straight.
But, when glueing up, it was about 2mm out when checked with a roofing square. That was the best that we could get.....how annoying....It’s a good job that it is only a workshop. :oops: :oops:
See the clamped up frame below, with the angled cramp in position. I had to split it to allow the middle clamp to be on the top.

doorframe1.jpg

TAFN.

Regards...Dick.

2mm is acceptable in my world. Its taken me a while to accept that wood does not behave sometimes.

Cegidfa":29z99fbp said:
I did a dry run and there was an error which required an angled brace to pull it straight.
But, when glueing up, it was about 2mm out when checked with a roofing square. That was the best that we could get.....how annoying....It’s a good job that it is only a workshop. :oops: :oops:
TAFN.

Regards...Dick.

Not to worry, Dick. Any visitors will be distracted by the fact that your round windows are 3 mm off center.:)

Anon, ducking behind the Inspector Pheasant's clipboard...

Morning Billy and Kirk,

I should have made it clear that the 2mm referred to, over the length of the square, which is about 18" long. Over the six plus feet of the door that will amount to rather more than 2mm :shock: I will know the awful truth later when the clamps are removed. :wink:
Perhaps, if I made the frame a parallelogram too, there would not be a problem :idea:

Inspector Pheasant never came back to do the next stage inspection, I shall have to contact the Building Dept. I fear that he may be lining someone’s stomach.... :cry:
I suspect that a number of people would wish for the same fate for theirs.....or is that the Planning Dept. :twisted: :twisted:

Regards....Dick.

Dick, you have to stop mixing your units. What are you trying to do--crash a Mars probe?:) Besides, if you have to you can square up the door with a hand plane. Umm--you have a hand plane, don't you?

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

You cheeky young whipersnapper, of course I have a plane. It's 15" long and ideal for banging in big nails (hammer) :shock: :)
Using imperial and metric units together is a sign that a person is of a certain age; that is, he was around during the seventies, at the time of conversion.
Unfortunately, our tape measures still show both units, so it is common to still use either. Especially when measuring the size of something, as opposed to marking something to a specific length. Also, even though sheet material is classified as 2440mm x 1220mm, this is a direct conversion from 8' x 4' which is what most people would still ask for at the builders' merchant.
It's the same with temperature; I always use Centigrade, since the switch, but our friends resolutely cling to using Fahrenheit. They couldn't get on with this 'foreign stuff' until I pointed out that Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit was born in Poland....I despair.

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":2441uv1m said:
Hi Kirk,

You cheeky young whipersnapper, of course I have a plane. It's 15" long and ideal for banging in big nails (hammer) :shock: :)
Using imperial and metric units together is a sign that a person is of a certain age; that is, he was around during the seventies, at the time of conversion.
Unfortunately, our tape measures still show both units, so it is common to still use either. Especially when measuring the size of something, as opposed to marking something to a specific length. Also, even though sheet material is classified as 2440mm x 1220mm, this is a direct conversion from 8' x 4' which is what most people would still ask for at the builders' merchant.
It's the same with temperature; I always use Centigrade, since the switch, but our friends resolutely cling to using Fahrenheit. They couldn't get on with this 'foreign stuff' until I pointed out that Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit was born in Poland....I despair.

Regards...Dick.
Hey, at least you say Centigrade. I refuse to have Celsius crammed down my throat and I used to be a weather man.:)

Kirk

Re mixing measurements, I worked with a chippy who favoured a 1 metre folding rule and he would ask for timber to be cut to (for example) 1metre 13and a half inches!!!!!! Bloody difficult to measure with the extending rule that I preferred.

I've been trying to persuade my Italian chums of the benefits of imperial. Just ask them to divide 1 cm10 times ;-)

Then to add up various fractions of a cm.

Also they now understand why their ply comes in 19, 12.5 and 6mm thicknesses, (roughly)

Hi folks,

Kirk, you seem to have started something that could run for a long time.
One would never think that we allegedly, went metric in 1971.
Only in Britain could we design such a convoluted system.
I am reminded of the late Diz Dizley who, when finishing a song that he considered to be tripe,(he, actually being a jazz guitarist of the Django school) would say,’ it may be rubbish, but it’s British rubbish.’

I thought that I would show you the doors just stood in the frame, to show the progress to date.

doorse.jpg

I can just hear Dibs exclaiming that the frame is far too lightweight, given the care that he took with his doorway; and on reflection, perhaps I should have used slightly thicker stock. But as I have said before, we don’t seem to suffer from scrotes trying to liberate our worldly goods.

Hello dedee,

Glad to to see that you are another Leopard user.

Hello Dave,

You live in a lovely part of Italy (not that we have been to a bad part yet). I have been to Bolzano, which I think, is about 20 miles from you. The architecture and surrounding hills are beautiful.

TTFN....Dick.

Dick, how thick is the wood in the door itself? Looks like 3/4"/19.05 mm [to continue the thread diversion--and that .05mm will really help structurally:)]. I'd consider that way too light for anything other than screens, let alone glass panels. Maybe I'm just in for the overkill, but I'd think that's going to twist a lot (possibly breaking the glass), sag under the weight, and get slammed in a good wind (also possibly breaking the glass). The pine looks good, though.

Kirk

--Django Reinhardt: A French-speaking Belgian-born Gypsy with a German last name playing American music.:)

Hi Kirk,

The doors are made from 4" x 2" nominal, actually 95mm x 45mm, and the frame is a nominal 6" x 1". The idea was to not reduce the opening space. I usually go for the 'can I swing two grannies' from whatever I am doing. But this time ....... I blame the banging of my head repeatedly on the overhead beams for dislodging some of my marbles. :shock: If I fix the frame with enough screws, I am sure it will hold.....If not I will redo it and shave the doors down. :wink: I can feel my dad saying 'what the hell are you playing at, do it properly.' [-X So I will 'boldly go' (mangling the English language on the way) to a new frontier of slenderness in building design.....cough. :)

Regards...Dick.
PS. I forgot to mention that the hinge screws will be long enough to go through the door frame and into the construction timber. Essentially making the frame now't more than a standoff so that the doors can open properly.

I don't know what kind of music that you like, but have you listened to any Django Reinhardt? Given that it was in the 1930's, ie. the Swing era, it certainly lived up to it's name. Now if I could get anywhere near that standard of playing, I would die a happy man. We did see, many years back, Stephane Grappelli (Django's partner) backed by Diz Dizley. Given his age, he could still do the biz. :-({|= :-({|= \:D/

Cegidfa":cq8rbjvi said:
Hi Kirk,

The doors are made from 4" x 2" nominal, actually 95mm x 45mm, and the frame is a nominal 6" x 1". The idea was to not reduce the opening space. I usually go for the 'can I swing two grannies' from whatever I am doing. But this time ....... I blame the banging of my head repeatedly on the overhead beams for dislodging some of my marbles. :shock: If I fix the frame with enough screws, I am sure it will hold.....If not I will redo it and shave the doors down. :wink: I can feel my dad saying 'what the hell are you playing at, do it properly.' [-X So I will 'boldly go' (mangling the English language on the way) to a new frontier of slenderness in building design.....cough. :)

Regards...Dick.

That door should be plenty beefy, then, as long as the FeStool holds up. (TransAtlantic note: I notice all you guys say 4 x 2, whereas we always say 2 x 4, pronounced and sometimes spelled tubafour or tubafur.:) Our 2x4's are 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" actual size, so run smaller than what you're using.)

I've listed to a little Django, but I'm not a jazz guy. I can listen to big band music, but that's barely jazz as the aficianados understand it. My tastes are broad ranging (my shop CD player over the weekend held both the Ventures (60's surf music) and BR549 (90's alt country)), but not universal.

Kirk

Back