New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dick, Kirk, sorry to butt in. I too saw Stephane Grappelli (Django's partner) backed by Diz Dizley alnog with John Ethbridge? That must have been about 71/72. Fantastic evening.
xy
p.s. keep up the good work

Hi Kirk,

Having done some research, I failed to find any cultural references as to the 2 x 4 - 4 x 2 mystery. Over here, four by two is cockney rhyming slang for Jew; so given that you are all ‘voters’, and with a large Jewish population, perhaps it was changed to reflect the equality of all migrants to the US? Thus leaving behind the prejudices of the ‘old world.’ =D>

Ahh the Ventures ..... I was suddenly a teenager again. :wink: I managed to see Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley in the flesh.. :shock: not that much flesh. Sadly, they weren’t that good live. But John Lee Hooker was, along with Howling Wolf and his guitarist Hubert Sumlin.

I had not heard of BR549 before, but after listening to Out of Habit, Cherokee Boogie and Me ‘N’ Opie, we thoroughly enjoyed them, and Diane has put one of their CDs on her wish list. Thanks for that. It’s ideal ‘shop music.

Hello xy,

Feel free to butt in any time. The other name with Diz Dizley rang a bell, he is actually John Etheridge, so you were close ... after all that time. =D>
Are you a ‘closet’ guitarist perchance? :)

I must away and measure the weight of the doors and using the other round window, work out the combined weight so that I can order the right hinges.

TTFN...Dick.

Cegidfa":d7aq4m7h said:
doorse.jpg

I can just hear Dibs exclaiming that the frame is far too lightweight, given the care that he took with his doorway; and on reflection, perhaps I should have used slightly thicker stock. But as I have said before, we don’t seem to suffer from scrotes trying to liberate our worldly goods.

:D :D - Yes it does look a tad bit thin at a nominal 1" thick.

Problem with a thin frame is that if the door is (too) heavy the frame will distort coming away from the opening and causing issues.

Probably more suited for an internal frame. Having said that - if the opening is framed in timber, which yours is, then it might not be such an issue as you'd screw into the timber framing, even for the hinge screws. As long as you don't end up shimming the frame too much and creating larger gaps between the framing and the back of the door frame. Depends on the weight of the doors ultimately.

But then again - my workshop door weighed somewhere in the region of 75KG. :shock:

Dibs

Hi Dick, sadly not a 'closet Guitarist. You have me thinking though. If John Etheridge is Diz Dizley who was the guy showing Diz how to play guitar? I'm not a great Jaz fan, but when the opportunity to hear someone of the likes of Stephan Grapelli comes along, I'll take it with both hands.
xy

Hi Dibs,

Having weighed a door and the round window, which is about the same area of glass as one of the openings, the total weight should be no more than 30kg, so I think that all will be well, as the hinge screws will go into the building frame. The door frame is a good fit in the hole too. I may have to cut the shims on a microtome. :shock:

Can I just say that I am very glad that my doors won’t weigh 75kg, as I wouldn’t be able to lift them - not being butch like yourself. I was thinking of entering the Mr Punyverse competition, but realised that I was too underdeveloped. :)

Having just ordered the hardware for the doors, I am in shock. The bill came to £258 and that doesn’t include the ‘spaniel locking for the ‘front’ door. :shock: :(
I am having great difficulty tracking down a ‘spaniel with the right form. I would like one that fits in the door, not on the door. I also wanted it to have a mid point securing, with a bolt at the top and bottom going into the frames, not to mention, fitting a door that measures 1873mm. Multipoint systems usually have an amount that can be removed to fit the door height, but the only one that I have found would leave the handle in a higher than usual position. This would look rather odd, and not what I want at all. The problem stems from the door being the right height for Hobbits; the result of being limited to 4m and having a gambrel roof...ho hum.

Tomorrow, I will be mostly fitting the door frame, time to get the grease out again.
Yesterday, we had taken the 12’ entrance gate off to grease the drop on hinges, when the Tesco delivery arrived (it’s cheaper to have a delivery here than travel to the nearest town and lose some life shopping).
Only out here, would the driver give me a hand to relocate the gate. =D> Without being asked.

Hello xy,

Err, I am a little confused, you seemed to be saying that John Etheridge is Diz Dizley. :shock: :)
Having seen Diz in the seventies, he could play like Django then (snarl). Would you mind having another go please. :oops:

TTFN...Dick.

Sorry Dick, just re-read your post, which I totally mis-read earlier :oops:. Just put it down to rust in the cranium. Ok! So the 'backing' group included Diz Dizley and John Etherbridge. That has saved me no end of trawling through whatever information I could find on t'web, saved me from endless diversions as well. I rest easier. Good, thanks.

xy

Cegidfa":36of7nsa said:
Hi Dibs,

Having weighed a door and the round window, which is about the same area of glass as one of the openings, the total weight should be no more than 30kg, so I think that all will be well, as the hinge screws will go into the building frame. The door frame is a good fit in the hole too. I may have to cut the shims on a microtome. :shock:

Can I just say that I am very glad that my doors won’t weigh 75kg, as I wouldn’t be able to lift them - not being butch like yourself. I was thinking of entering the Mr Punyverse competition, but realised that I was too underdeveloped. :)

Having just ordered the hardware for the doors, I am in shock. The bill came to £258 and that doesn’t include the ‘spaniel locking for the ‘front’ door. :shock: :(
I am having great difficulty tracking down a ‘spaniel with the right form. I would like one that fits in the door, not on the door. I also wanted it to have a mid point securing, with a bolt at the top and bottom going into the frames, not to mention, fitting a door that measures 1873mm. Multipoint systems usually have an amount that can be removed to fit the door height, but the only one that I have found would leave the handle in a higher than usual position. This would look rather odd, and not what I want at all. The problem stems from the door being the right height for Hobbits; the result of being limited to 4m and having a gambrel roof...ho hum.

Dick

The prices of the locks\hardware on my door weren't any less and possibly slightly more. :wink:

Dibs

p.s. Is that 30Kg per door or both?

Cegidfa":7juu27ov said:
TTFN...Dick.

Holy Cr*p, Dick! What are they, hand forged with silver inlay? Shoot, I picked up a box of NOS industrial fire door hinges at an auction for $5--if I'd known I'd have offered to send them over, since I'll probably never use them.

What's spaniel locking? A dog on a chain next to the door? (Seriously--Google only talked about dogs when I looked it up.)

Kirk

kirkpoore1":3izff22y said:
Cegidfa":3izff22y said:
TTFN...Dick.

Holy Cr*p, Dick! What are they, hand forged with silver inlay? Shoot, I picked up a box of NOS industrial fire door hinges at an auction for $5--if I'd known I'd have offered to send them over, since I'll probably never use them.

What's spaniel locking? A dog on a chain next to the door? (Seriously--Google only talked about dogs when I looked it up.)

Kirk

Hi Kirk

What Dick means is a "espagnolette", i.e.

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/esp ... 13455.html

most of us have trouble pronouncing the word - so just abbreviate it to "spaniel". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dibs

Hello xy,

I don’t know which age bracket you are in, so either, welcome to the club - or, my condolences. :wink:
I think that we all have days like that; just accept the fact that your marbles are not as tightly packed as they used to be, and you will be fine.
It’s just nice to know that we have a shared memory of pleasant times. :)

Hi Dibs,

Thanks for trying to ease my pain. We visited our local supplier before ordering online and the price for a Union 5 lever lock assembly was over £30, online it was £18. So I do feel somewhat mollified.
To my amazement, the order arrived at 8.30 this morning; it was ordered at about 4pm yesterday. Well done Ironmongery Direct =D> ....but please do something about your webshite, :evil: unless it’s a Mac thing. The downloads are all .aspx, which won’t open on a Mac. It took a fair bit of searching to realise that all I needed to do was change the extension to .pdf :twisted:
Yes, the doors will weigh 30kg each. If that had been for both I would have had Kirk pulling my leg about making them of balsa wood. :shock: :D

Hello flying haggis,

Thanks for the link, I hadn’t found that one, and blow me down, I was looking at a Mila assembly on the ID site. That was the one with the .aspx extension mentioned above.

Hi Kirk,

You probably pay less for ironmongery over there, but I did get the following for my painful withdrawal. :shock: :roll:

12 /120kg stainless steel hinges with bearings.
12/ hinge locks.
6/ rack bolts.
1/ good quality deadlock
4/ locking window handles.

Sorry, I should have explained. ‘spaniel is my corruption of espagnolette or multi point locking. Oops, Dibs has beaten me to it.

TTFN......DIck.

xy mosian":vlx7z64x said:
Sorry Dick, just re-read your post, which I totally mis-read earlier :oops:. Just put it down to rust in the cranium. Ok! So the 'backing' group included Diz Dizley and John Etherbridge. That has saved me no end of trawling through whatever information I could find on t'web, saved me from endless diversions as well. I rest easier. Good, thanks.

xy

Unfortunately, Diz died in 2010, in poverty as one would expect from his lifestyle!
George Melly once described him as "a cheerful Satyr".
It was actually through him that Grapelli's career was revived in the early 70's, but inevitably, they fell out in the late 70's.
It was extraordinary that Diz was equally popular in both the Jazz and Folk scenes.
I still remember him taking part (complete with bottle of Brandy) in a Guitar Workshop at the Norwich folk festival, when he said "all guitarists are waiting......and for what are we waiting, I hear you ask? We're all waiting for the return of Skiffle, so we can once again afford to pull nice crumpet and drive around in ******* Facel Vegas".

edted to add:
In my mind's eye, I can see him now, saying "now, this song has a chorarse. If you know the chorarse, please fell free to join in. If you don't know the chorarse I'm sure you'll pick it up as we go along!

Hello Tony,

Yes I was aware of his demise; I have his obituary on file, how sad is that.
He certainly was a character. I remember him saying once, that someone had ‘liberated’ his Maccaferri, and that if he ever found them, he would liberate them from their testicles. =D> =D>

Chorarse...that brings back memories. The other thing that he would do was ‘co-opt’ the resident to back him whilst he had a ‘Django blast,’ the resident usually being ill equipped to do this. And do you remember Bloody Orkney? One thing is certain, there will never be another like him, with that bizarre blend of material.

Regards..Dick.

I will trow a spanner in the works here.

BRING BACK THE HINGES. THEY ARE OLD SCHOOL.

especially for haning double doors . do not use them PLEASE - they will be the dead of you

for double doors i have been using columbus 3d hinges. and they give you all the flexibility to get your doors lined up 100% with equal space all arround. -

please see below for the link

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/col ... -7459.html

Mcluma":2k602w3v said:

especially for haning double doors . do not use them PLEASE - they will be the dead of you

Bit early for a drink isn't it? :shock: :lol: :lol:

hi dick. with regards to your search for a door lock, you could save a good few quid by going into your local upvc window installer. knowing the industry well the amount of cock ups demanded we always kept spare door and window espags on hand. dont pay more than £25 for a decent Hookbolt 7 point door lock. keeps may be extra but they may throw them in for you.

Dibs-h":358nkzvi said:
Mcluma":358nkzvi said:

did i miss something :?:

Mcluma":1m0b3vmp said:
Dibs-h":1m0b3vmp said:
Mcluma":1m0b3vmp said:

did i miss something :?:

Sorry Chris - I was just having a bit of a laugh at your expense. Your post read as you'd had a few drinks and were slurring your words.

Dibs

Hello Chris,

I assume you meant, ‘send back the hinges.’ And this from a man with a massive vocabulary of Dutch - all six words. :wink:

Unfortunately, they were already fitted by the time that I read your post, but many thanks for the link. They look the bee’s knees, but it would have cost £450 for two sets of double doors. :shock: That is a tad too expensive for me.

Hello andyacg,

Thanks for the tip.....now if only I had a ‘local’ anything; just a minute, that why I moved here - to get away from the rat race. :)

However, whilst searching for the ‘spaniels, I came across a post on here about this very subject. It seems that a lot of pros don’t think that much of them, especially on wooden doors. Warping being one problem, the other, is the security of cylinder locks in general.
The preferred option being deadlocks top and bottom, with a sashlock in the middle, all using the same key, for convenience. I had better watch out as Dibs was one who disapproved of cylinder locks. :cry: :)

Whilst waiting for the inevitable filler to dry (a telling indictment of my wood mangling skills) we worked on trying to get as much liner and underlay out of the now defunct pond as was possible. Given that there is a mix of soil, pebbles and now, a thick bed of grass....Ok, it got away from us. We tried forking the liner, but with so much dross in the bottom, it was impractical.

The object being, to fill it in and create a mini woodland walk with bulbs and hellibores, etc.
The pond is/was 8m x 5.3m x 1m deep. It occurred to us that, on its own, it was larger than our old garden. :shock:

Whilst trying to fork the liner, unfortunately, Diane came up with a frog on the fork...oops. :-&
And this after ejecting at least a dozen frogs and a few toads.

emptypond.jpg

Being me, a tune from the seventies came to mind.....by Lindisfarne.

So, all together.....

‘Frog on the tine is all mine, all mine.’

Sorry, I couldn’t resist it.
I suspect that I will have to explain that one to Kirk.

TTFN.......Dick.

Back