I'm glad that I was able to 'entertain' you and as for awsome....from you, with your capacity for work and standard, is truly humbling I can't help feeling that you would have had it finished in far less time...I wish that I had some of your drive and ability to stick to one job at a time, to add to my meagre amount
As it happens, I had read about your 'shed build' on the Readers Shed forum, whilst deciding what and how to build. And blow me down if you weren't the first to reply to me when I joined this forum. Now there's coincidence.
Err, what happened to the time? I seem to have lost about five months!
In this time, the workshop hasn’t actually changed visually. However, I do have a door frame, two doors and four double glazed panels. All I need is the weather to be kind for long enough....and a good kick in the posterior. And lets not mention the pointing to the gable end, cough,cough.
I haven’t been totally idle though; so I thought that you may be interested in what we have been getting up to - even if it might stray from woodwork.
After hitting my head for the umpteenth time on our bedroom door frame, I decided that enough was enough, and something had to be done. The problem was that a tie beam ran from wallplate to wallplate directly above the frame.
See problem below.
Given that the mortar is 120 year old lime/sand, I had to find a way to support the bricks whilst removing enough to give good head clearance. I decided to use two straps of 3 x 1 fixed to the bricks with short masonry screws as a sort of clamp. It worked very well, and at the end, nothing above, was any more live than it had been.
As usual Sketchup came to the rescue; see the idea below.
Because of the many layers, the screwing pattern had to be worked out in advance, to stop the screws colliding. I also glued the layers as well.
Because the fixing screws for the tie beam were long, I had to remember to fit them in as I went, otherwise the assembly would have been a giant fail.
The bricks were then removed and the assembly stood in place and clamped. The screws were tapped down to mark the tie beam, and then the whole thing removed and pilot holes drilled, as the wood was pretty tough. Then a screw was put in each hole fully, to ‘tap’ the thread. I used a socket with ratchet to speed up the process.
Next, the ‘bridge’ (or should that be Broen/Bron) was refitted, the screws lined up and cranked down.....now for ‘the moment of truth’ as a Matador would have said in less PC times. I used a new toy - the battery sabresaw. This was worth it’s weight in gold as it scythed through the wood with no effort on my part.
As the blade broke through there was a botty pouting crack, which caused me to step back sharply, but nothing moved. On placing the blade in the kerf, the gap was no wider, so it was just the stress in the wood relieving. At which point I retired for some new underwear, and then cut the other side through. At last, I can now exit the bedroom with my head held high (homer)
See the assembly finally fitted.
The next step was to make and fit a door frame and then clad the bridge in ply, and plaster the area vaguely level. I say vaguely, because plastering for me is an approximate skill - get it close and Mr Sander is my friend.
We have come to the conclusion that doors are vastly overrated, as neither the bedroom or bathroom have one, many months later. Our daughter, whom we tried to bring up to not be prudish, stated that ‘doors are for wimps’ so we must have done something right.
The finished job....ish.
I must apologise for the “carp” photos in this missive. Maybe I banged my head once too often (hammer)
More thrilling adventures to come - the en-suite revamp (unfinished) and the garden update (ongoing).
And will he ever finish the workshop.....or anything :evil:
Doh, I forgot to say hello to Carl..err, hello Carl, thanks for the kind words. It was your message that jolted me back into posting again.