New workshop build, with a difference!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks,

Having removed the clamps from the ring, I couldn’t resist fitting the window to get an idea of what it will look like. So I thought that I would share it with you.

ringwithinsert.jpg

Morning Dibs,

Thanks for that. I was looking at the Hodgson site yesterday evening, and found the installation instructions this time. It hadn't occurred to me that the glazing selector box would have links - you just can't help some people :roll: :roll:
Although it doesn’t specifically mention it (they are after all, talking to pros, not numptys), the tape must be fitted to a position that is at least as high as the rebate edge. So it would make sense to fit the tape to the rebate rather than the glass. That way the correct location is guaranteed. Does that seem ok, given that it is a round window?

As to removing the unit for maintenance purposes; if it lasts for 15 years, I will be 80, and therefore, it won’t be me doing it :shock: :lol:

Thanks for persisting with an old duffer - I know that a number of people aren't happy with the way this site works, from a programming point of view, and they moan about Charley, who is probably a very busy person, but, it's strength is the type of people that it attracts. That is invaluable.

Regards...Dick.

Dick

The tape is actually larger height wise than required. So when you fit it to the rebate - it goes past the top and afterwards needs trimming. Once the window is in - you fit it to the external face of the glass. The paper covering is designed in such away that the bottom of the tape is away from the bottom of the rebate, at the correct height, allowing you to fill that void with sealant.

I've used it for the windows on the workshop - no WIP piccies tho.

Let me know if you have no joy - I can get it locally in 25m rolls (white or brown) for not much.

HIH

Dibs.

p.s. PM me your address - I have some pieces lying about, not enough to do your window unfortunately, but enough so when you have some to hand - you know exactly what I mean. :wink: After all, if a picture is worth a million words, what's a sample worth?

Hi folks,

I have just spent the last two days routing brown Polo mints - and, yes, they are pretty inedible :(
The ply is 9mm WBP and is some sort of ‘mahogany’ err, from China. I do know this...it’s ....kin hard as glass. I cut the first ring in many small cuts, and it left a rather naff edge, so, having touched up the cutter with a stone :shock:.... and removed the glue/resin buildup... The second outer cut was done having plunged through, but with Diane ‘hovering with the Hoover’. This gave a better finish, but boy was it hard work. So we went back to many small cuts for the inside of the ring. Having the dust cleared at source certainly helped. I could have used the ...cough, Fes.... dust extractor, :twisted: but going round in circles, I would have got in a right pickle. As it was, after every revolution I had to unplug the router and unkink the cable - what a palaver.

brownpolomint.jpg

At this stage, just in case there is anyone watching who hasn’t routed anything before, but is contemplating it. Don’t forget the cardinal rule - go anti-clockwise for an ‘outside cut, and clockwise for an ‘inside’ cut. This will help keep the router ‘pulled in’ to the wood, rather than flying back at you - on a straight run that is.. Also very important, if machining a ring, do make sure that the centre circle and the actual ring are securely held in place. I used double sided tape on both sides of the supporting ply strips, and put a c/s screw in the centre ring. Just to be sure.

So what are they for....... well, it might not be the normal way to do things, but they will be used to hold the IGU’s in place. The rings will be screwed in place.
The two glass panels were ordered yesterday, so they will arrive in about a week.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for that. To be honest, I was amazed that they fitted at all, having never done anything like this before. This workshop building lark is one hell of a learning curve. So you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thus proving your philosophical 'statement' ... Everything can be achieved :D :D :D

Regards...Dick.

When you have finished yours ....would you like to do mine lol
as a Newbee here just read this Epic post from start to finish .....what a ride
if only i had the room to do or the guts and stamina that is involved

thanks for sharing

Dave

Hello Dave,

And welome to the madness. I say madness, because anyone embarking on this Odyssey at our time of life, and with just us two, has to be mad.
Also, to join UKWorkshop, one has to be a bit warped, as you will have seen. There are no boring people here, just helpful, informative and amusing people.
Guts and stamina.... is he talking about us :oops: :oops:, you haven't seen us at the end of the day :shock:. We are just two people who, given a 'need', research how, and then get on with it.
Competance is something that only comes via many cock ups...trust me. I only take pics of the good bits, from the right angle :)
Are you sure that you couldn't squeeze in a small 'shop? There are many people here who manage with tiny spaces :evil: :evil:

Best wishes....Dick.

Hi folks,

I have now routed two more rings for the outside front covers.
These will give a finished look to the ring and cover the cladding where it abuts the window.

p1010194i.jpg

Today’s job was to fit the facing ring to the tube. At this juncture we realised that we had set the radius for the cut to the ‘inside’ tube diameter, not the end with the extra layer of ply :oops:
This left us with a stepped look, so I decided to put a round over on each part.
The bendy ply does not like being shaped, and several chunks were ripped off, in spite of rounding over in two passes grrrr.......
To make matters worse, when I routed the rings, I stuck them together inside out and thus routed the inside face. No problem, reverse and go again, completely forgetting that I had just removed most of the bearing path :oops: :oops: I just managed to get away with it with a bit of fettling, thank goodness.

So, locate the ring evenly on the tube, fit a pin, move round 180° position ring and fit another pin....fit two more pins. We then decided that it didn’t look that good, and would be a pain to fill and paint. So, we will rout one large round over when the glue is dry. And take the hit of having to repair the flexy ply

p1010196k.jpg

The next step will be to use the unfinished ring as the jig to mark the cut in the insulation at both ends. Then temp fit it and finish the cladding.
Manufacturing all these rings leaves us with quite a few circles of ply. My first thought was that we have been manufacturing Quantitative Easing (large scale), or making Olympic ring symbols :smile:
But on a more practical note, anyone fancy playing ‘hoop and stick’ :smile:
Or, we could just make a lot of circular tables.

Hello Dibs,

I did send you a PM, but I wonder if you received it, as I was feeling a bit Neanderthal at the time :shock: and might have hit the wrong buttons. I might have a Mac, but it is still operated by a dumkopf.

Regards...Dick.

Hi Dick

Received your PM - sorry for not replying. Somewhat under the cosh, sorting out year end accounts for Companies House. Will be swinging by the PO on the way to work tomorrow.

Cheers

Dibs

Hi Dick, looking good mate. I don't envy you doing all that routing though! :) Are you using a spiral (up-cut or down-cut) bit when you are routing all that ply? Spiral bits leave a much cleaner edge and get rid of all the waste that is clogging the cut. If you already know this then please ignore :)

Wealdens do them here. Again, not sure which ones you would need. I use them for Birch Ply and they leave a great finish.

Cheers _Dan.

Hello Dan,

I did consider spiral bits, as I only have straight ones.
But, having done a lot of reading about them, it would seem that they are a double edged sword. The up spiral clears the debris, but pull the edges up also - especially in ply. They were only recommended for solid material.
The down spiral compresses the debris into the furrow, thus needing a lot of clearing to stop burning. However, once the rings were open edged, the down would have been an improvement, but then I would need a round over bit, now there’s a thought - a down spiral round over bit :shock: :)
The reality is that the ply not the best; it’s full of cavities and is as splintery as hell. Having cut the ring former from cheap birch ply that I already had, I know that it performed much better.
I could have ordered 9mm birch ply, but felt that I might get some advantage from WBP being a bit tougher weather wise. Thanks for the link by the way.

Stop press.
Yesterday, at about four pm I cut the first circular hole in the insulation and temp fitted the tube. My word, even with the sun sinking fast, the amount of extra light was amazing. When there are two of them, the 'shop light level will increase exponentially. Oh, and it looked good and proportionate too ....dead chuffed (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) Unfortunately, the scaff blocks the view, so a pic will have to wait.

Regards...Dick.

Cegidfa":2rws3m49 said:
Stop press.
Yesterday, at about four pm I cut the first circular hole in the insulation and temp fitted the tube. My word, even with the sun sinking fast, the amount of extra light was amazing. When there are two of them, the 'shop light level will increase exponentially. Oh, and it looked good and proportionate too ....dead chuffed (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) Unfortunately, the scaff blocks the view, so a pic will have to wait.

Regards...Dick.

Well, Dick, as they say about bacon & eggs, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. I'd say you're committed now.:) Good luck with this stage.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk.....who’s committed, I stuffed it back in and fitted three cleats to stop it blowing in :smile:

Hi Chris .. so are you at that blissful state yet, or is that wishful thinking?

Hi Dibs.....you are not alone. But at least the chicken has a choice ....poor piggy.
Said Dick looking covetously at next doors Tamworths as they fatten up.

Regards...Dick.

Were I 3.5 metres tall, this would be the view. Taken a little while back, with minor flooding.

winterflooding.jpg

Cegidfa,

I've just managed to catch up to date and I am blown away by what you have achieved! Thank you for sharing, it genuinely is an inspiration to me. I get down to Powys fairly often as I have relatives there (Llanidloes)...if you ever need a hand for a day with heavy lifting or whatever, let me know, I'd be delighted to help with what is so obviously a labour of love. Keep it up, it's nearly Spring.

Hello Noggsy,

Welcome to the fold. Had you been here yesterday, you would have been blown away - literally :shock: I was up on the scaff’ painting the overhang, in preparation for fitting the cladding round the window. Thanks for the kind offer, we could have done with you when we laid the concrete - that was definitely a three person job (or more).

Regards.......Dick.

Hi folks,

At last, the overhang is painted. It’s a pity I didn’t do it before I started cladding. Then I wouldn’t have had to hang sheets over it :roll:
This does raise the question of how I repaint it when necessary :shock:

At this point, a quick note to Dibs. Please don’t worry about sending the sample, I have made an executive decision on what to use for fitting the glass. But many thanks for the offer - I need to remind myself that most of you have a living to earn, as well as all the other calls on your time. Anyone approaching retirement should never worry about how you will spend the time...... you won’t have enough free time to worry. In fact I could do with another life based on retirement, so that I could do all the things that I want to :wink:

The ‘executive decision’ was brought about after talking to Hodgsons, the glass tape makers. They couldn’t find anyone who had been supplied with the tape size that I wanted.
I needed the more narrow tape, as they suggested that the usual tape used for glazing DG panels would bend round a circle with difficulty. So I have opted for the 12mm x 2mm white butyl bedding tape that is not so sticky or intractable. This is sold by Reddiseals, and is far cheaper as it comes in 19m lengths, not 200m.

I was going to round over the window edge, but the size that I required was not recommended for use in a free hand router....and it was £50 for two cuts.
So I opted for a chamfer cutter costing £20 from Wealdens (thanks for the link Dan) I then rounded it over (ish) freehand with sandpaper. See the result below, after the first coat of paint. Actually, I now prefer the soft angle to the round over, as it will give interesting shadow lines in the changing light.

paintedwindow.jpg

I now have the DG units for the windows, they cost £78.67 for both units, not bad for something that big ... and round...and with swiss spacers.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I will refit the bare tube, and start fitting the cladding round it. I can just see the headline in the local paper, ‘Pensioner takes up hang gliding...using one width of green cladding.’ :lol: :lol:

Regards....Dick.

Hello folks,

Today has been wet, windy and blooming cold, so we only manage to scribe and fit three lengths of cladding. :roll:
It isn't the easiest thing to do, as the slightest error is magnified by the roof angle.
We quickly adopted the method of not measuring, but cut the angle, space the cladding off, and mark the two points of the circle.
And then retreat to the w/s and lay the other circle on and mark the arc, before using a coping saw to cut the shape. Then a quick dab of paint to seal
the cuts, measure and drill the nail positions, and fit the nails ready.This does make life easier, as everything is to hand.
See the results below. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry, but not above 0℃ ..... oh joy.

windowcladding.jpg

Regards......Dick.

Cegidfa":q59702wu said:
Hello folks,

windowcladding.jpg

Regards......Dick.

Dick, are you using the bare tube as just a pattern to fit the clapboards, then? You'll remove it and replace it with the white tube w/rim? Or am I completely misreading you?

Kirk

Back