New Lie-Nielsen stuff in the pipeline

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David C":19lk4g8o said:
I have seen a number of these fascinating new things, and they are now out of the closet and in the public domain.

Hi David,

It all looks really cool, doesn't it? I'm most excited about the prospect of an improved #49 (with one-piece iron) and the planemaking video.

Could you tell us what your next video will be?
-Andy

They do look interesting, but I don't know. I tend to agree with ALF on this one, how much practical use would the average woodworker have for either the match plane or the chamfer plane.

I don't know about there, bit tongue and groove planes can be had fairly readily off ebay, or in antique stores hereabouts, and the as Alf said what is the point of spending a lot of money, I doubt they are cheap, for something, ie the chamfer plane, that gives a finished edge that looks like it was cut by a machine.

Good for the collectors I suppose.

Andy,

My next dvd is about methods for dealing with difficult grain, and possibly some other short topics.

Scraper planes, back bevels in bench planes and high EPs in bevel up.

I expect it to be available some time after Christmas.

David

Well,

Shame she is not here to comment herself, but the plane making dvd and inlay tools are extremely interesting (to me) and if people do not want the tools there is no need to buy them.

I have no doubt they will be better made than the originals.

David

I like the look of the inlay stuff but I am afraid the match and chamfer planes leave me completely cold. Frankly I'd be very surprised if Tom LN covers his investment on these items.

Mittlefehldt":1w5x87xs said:
I tend to agree with ALF on this one, how much practical use would the average woodworker have for either the match plane or the chamfer plane.

Imagine if the only tools available were the ones an average woodwork had practical use for.

So nobody wants the chamfer plane, hm? That's fine then I will get the first one :mrgreen: Chamfer planes do a fine job on octagonal work and isn't it great to leave corded routers in the shelf where they belong and have a brandnew #72 with a classical design in high quality. I really can't understand why some guys and gals are getting excited by tools they do not intend to buy. Ts, ts, ts :-k

Have a nice day

Personally, I'm really excited by the chamfer plane & the match planes. The chamfer plane is a work of art and I'd find reasons to use it. A lot of my tool purchases are wants more than needs. Case in point, I have three Record bullnose planes that rarely get used but they're really cute! :wink:

ydb1md":1uuwa758 said:
Personally, I'm really excited by the chamfer plane & the match planes. The chamfer plane is a work of art and I'd find reasons to use it. A lot of my tool purchases are wants more than needs. Case in point, I have three Record bullnose planes that rarely get used but they're really cute! :wink:

Collector, Collector, Collector, Collector, Collector, Collector!

;) :lol: I only happen to have a no 45 type 1 and a type 4 and a no 50. More than a hald full of spoke shafes, busllnose, edge and blcok planes. But most handy a no 3C, 4, 4C, 5, 5C, 6 and 8. :shock:

Why? They're set up with different blades. The corrugated are all setup with curved blades and ultra narrow mouth some with a specific back bevel. The 6 is setup and ready to use on the shooting board (thanks for that DVD David C) and the 8 I use for jointing.

When the time comes I'm in need of a match of chamfer plane (although I've a chamfer spoke plane) I will make the desision:
- struggle along with what I have
- buy a cheaper vintage one
- buy a antique one cheap
- buy a slightly better but expensive LN, clifton or LV

MarcW":3vpjp5wc said:
So nobody wants the chamfer plane, hm?

I want it, so if someone gets it and doesn't like it, please send it to me! ;)
Apparently, it can also take blades with the same profiles as the #66. I'm having a hard time visualing this but it does sound useful to me! And in any case I would get a lot of use out of the #49.
-Andy

I'd have the inlay kit, making curved inlays in veneered tabletops is an absolute pipper, unless someone here want's to tell me how to do it??? :wink:

AHoman":28leskdr said:
Apparently, it can also take blades with the same profiles as the #66. I'm having a hard time visualing this but it does sound useful to me! And in any case I would get a lot of use out of the #49.
-Andy

Andy, look at Patrick's site (supertool; #72 1/2) (Sorry I didn't post the link, it doesn't work, dont know why) Anyway there is an additional piece holding the cutters of the #66.

Cheers ;-)

TheTiddles":3coodmxa said:
I'd have the inlay kit, making curved inlays in veneered tabletops is an absolute pipper, unless someone here want's to tell me how to do it??? :wink:

Garret Hack had an article in FWW that covered it in part. He uses a pair of the big steel compasses with one leg sharpened as a scraper/knife. I'll try and find a reference.

MarcW":3hb0y9fb said:
So nobody wants the chamfer plane, hm? That's fine then I will get the first one :mrgreen:

I'll buy the second. :wink: The chamfer plane is one I've been hoping Lie-Nielsen would reproduce.

A thick curved inlay line can be laminated from three thinner lines.

Some timbers can be bent on a hot tube used by guitar makers, called a bending iron, (I think).

David

Back