A nice tease by Rob Lee . . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be strong. =P~
I must be strong.=P~
I must be strong.=P~

After all I've already got three. :oops: :whistle:

Oh hang on, and a littl'un makes four. :roll:

No, I don't have a problem, don't listen to the missus, she just doesn't understand. :?

$155. dollars Canadian for the damn thing, with a fence, well I already have a Stanley 71, so I will resist, that is until I go to the store next and see it in person which may cause some issues.

I am saving up right now to buy a medium shoulder plane so will probably buy it next anyway, I mean who needs two router planes, right, no one does do they, well do they? :roll:

Alf":3bbccklg said:
All the gory details about the router plane are now on L-V's site, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

You didn't even mention the Bessey sale. That's the one that's gonna have me digging in my pockets. I love those clamps but they're just so darned expensive. Now I'm trying to figure out how many I need versus how many I want. ](*,) :-k

waterhead37":h6nqzdlt said:
ydb1md":h6nqzdlt said:
Now I'm trying to figure out how many I need versus how many I want. ](*,) :-k

Clamps are the exception that proves the rule - you usually want fewer than you need :?

I think I'll be buying at least one of each set -- though I could easily rationalize two of each.

Another fragment of what's decorating that 'fridge door in Canada cropped up in WoodNet, fwiw:

Hi Rob -
Do you have any plans for a Veritas version of the #98 and #99 side rabbet planes? Or the #79? If so could you give us a hint about timing?

Hi -

Yes - we'll be doing something here... not sure exactly of the timing, but it won't be before Christmas....
Notice he doesn't mention which year... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1zdmv48x said:

Cheers, Alf

Rob's a busy boy. He didn't even touch my question about a chamfer shave. :( :roll:

I am curious about which planes will be coming out next (and when).

Someone on another board asked about LV producing a dovetail or tenon backsaw but I don't see them approaching something like that where the market is already saturated with alternatives.

ydb1md":q3m3bnj1 said:
Alf":q3m3bnj1 said:

Cheers, Alf

Rob's a busy boy. He didn't even touch my question about a chamfer shave. :( :roll:

I am curious about which planes will be coming out next (and when).

Someone on another board asked about LV producing a dovetail or tenon backsaw but I don't see them approaching something like that where the market is already saturated with alternatives.

Hi -

When you're buying a high end saw - all you're pretty much buying is sharpening and set .... we'll end up doing something there - but it may not be necessarily Veritas. I certainly agree the market for $100+ saws is saturated....

We do work on other things besides planes too.... and we also have gardening and hardware lines to flesh out...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1hnmty74 said:
Hi -

We do work on other things besides planes too.... and we also have gardening and hardware lines to flesh out...

Rob

Hey Rob!

Gardening tools? Hardware? :roll:

Hardware is cool.

And I guess I can see where the gardeners might feel slighted if they didn't get some new toys too. ;) :D

Thanks for all the new toys! We woodworkers have it good now. 8)

Sigh. Saw wrests then. :roll: Although I suppose there isn't sufficient demand; at least not until you try to find a Stanley 42x for sale... :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3v9pkiel said:
Rob Lee":3v9pkiel said:
When you're buying a high end saw - all you're pretty much buying is sharpening and set
Couldn't agree more. So about saw sets...
Cheers, Alf
While I don't totally agree with either of y'all--don't decent handles and reasonable quality steel account for anything--there are decent saw sets available.

4 to 12 point

13 to 27 point

All saw steel isn't the same. Take a look at the steel in many lesser cost saws. They go dull quickly, teeth even bend or round on their leading edge. Good steel isn't very costly, but it still isn't used in cheap saws. Move up to a moderate cost saw, and the steel is better, but still doesn't hold a candle up to a pre-1950s saw.

And handles. I figure much of a saw's cost is in the handle. Even with CNC routers, there is handwork to do in order to ship a decent handle.

The rest is set and sharpening.

Ok, I'm gonna breathe and get off the soapbox...

Mike

MikeW":38i47nk4 said:
All saw steel isn't the same. Take a look at the steel in many lesser cost saws. They go dull quickly, teeth even bend or round on their leading edge. Good steel isn't very costly, but it still isn't used in cheap saws. Move up to a moderate cost saw, and the steel is better, but still doesn't hold a candle up to a pre-1950s saw.

And handles. I figure much of a saw's cost is in the handle. Even with CNC routers, there is handwork to do in order to ship a decent handle.

The rest is set and sharpening.

Ok, I'm gonna breathe and get off the soapbox...

Mike

Hi Mike,

I agree with you that saws are plentiful but good saws are harder to find. But, from a manufacturers perspective, debating whether or not to get in the game, it's hard to justify introducing a new saw to the market when you already have Adria, LN and a bunch of smaller, quality saw makers. Pax is trying to get back in the game and I imagine that other makers will try to improve their quality to get back in the game. (I wish that Crown would improve their quality across the board. Their tools are approaching dismal.)

It would be cool if someone would offer a handle kit so you could take the old cruddy handle off your favorite old saw and slap on a new quality handle. Leave the handle undrilled so the purchaser could drill holes to match his blade.

MikeW":2b0kle7t said:
...there are decent saw sets available.

4 to 12 point

13 to 27 point
I regret to say wrist killers, the pair of them.

If people aren't spending all that dosh on the sharpening and set, why aren't they buying secondhand saws with beautifully curvaceous handles for a fiver and sharpening them themselves? :-s

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1eiqbg2b said:
If people aren't spending all that dosh on the sharpening and set, why aren't they buying secondhand saws with beautifully curvaceous handles for a fiver and sharpening them themselves? :-s

Cheers, Alf

I'm about to take the dive and pick up an old saw and sharpen it myself. The thought of sharpening myself (and botching it) is a little intimidating, but I'll get over it. :)

Dave,

Plenty of good saws are available at a cost. It's inexpensive good saws that one cannot find. Unless one will bother geting used saws.

I am probably making more on reconditioning used saws, resharpening and new handles than furniture at the moment. Well, that and simply sharpening.

As for the handle thing, my wife and I were just talking last night about making repro handles, including the dreaded closed tops. We were thinking about having them cut to rough shape, edges eased and the blade slots cut and leave final shaping to the customer. For Disstons they can even be predrilled.

I have a bunch of Beech and Apple for just this purpose.

I'm also making a series of saws. I started out mentioning to someone I was making one for myself and now have 8 orders for them.

We'll see.

Mike

edited...

Alf":d2ham0nr said:
MikeW":d2ham0nr said:
...there are decent saw sets available.

4 to 12 point

13 to 27 point
I regret to say wrist killers, the pair of them.

Cheers, Alf
Oh they're not bad to use. Not as nice as the 42X, which I also have, but very functional.

Why more people don't buy used saws is probably why many don't buy used tools in the main: perception and effort I suppose.

And as for sharpening, I think it is something that intimidates people. In general, a handsaw is easy, but even at that there are subtle things one can do to make a handsaw cut easier and faster that simply running a file across it won't accomplish.

When you get to the smaller saws with more teeth, it does require a tad bit of patience to do a good job. Especially with setting. One can stone the set out of an over set saw, but it does begin to weaken the teeth. Much better to go easy on the set to begin with.

Mike

Back