A couple of sightings of note...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob Lee":2t4d1kyk said:
Alf":2t4d1kyk said:
(snip) No competition going on etc etc :-$ :wink:
(snip)

Cheers, Alf
Hey -

We're marching to our own drummer here... can't help it others find the beat catchy...
Hmm, that drummer swaps sides an awful lot; no loyalty at all... :roll: :wink: 'Course it's not really whether you think you're in competition anyway, but what the customers (us) think. And I think it has become more competitive in the last year or so, and I worry.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. I think I may be entitled to murmur "edge trimming plane" in a mildly accusatory manner, but I'm not sufficiently certain of my facts to be sure. :-k

MikeW":8jczrdkr said:
As a handtool user, I too think there is a need for one of these companies to step forward and remake the #39s

Saw this and had to go see what a #39 was. (shivering) That plane reminds me of something out of Alien. If the usual smoother or jack plane is beautiful, that #39 has a face that only a mother, a blind one at that, could love.

Alf":rskzgfee said:
(snip)

P.S. I think I may be entitled to murmur "edge trimming plane" in a mildly accusatory manner, but I'm not sufficiently certain of my facts to be sure. :-k

Hmmm... and here I was thinking Ken Wisner was the first to make the 95 repro .... 'cause I know we carried his in 1978. 8)

Tom LN did take over the Wisner business a few years after that... and continued to make the 95...which we also sold. Our edge trimming plane (which was available in iron OR bronze... and will be again soon) is a re-designed version of the Stanley, and not a reproduction (except for a very few, produced early on, and only in Iron)
Cheers -

Rob

Did I not say I wasn't sure of my facts? Huh? Didn't I? Wasn't "maybe" employed? Tsk, and here we are without a spittoon for me to polish... I grovel in abject apology, if that helps at all. #-o

Cheers, Alf

Rob Lee":3mms52qj said:
Grovel ? :shock: Hah - wouldn't believe it... :roll: :wink:
Very wise, 'cos I was thinking about it overnight, and I'm not so sure you haven't proved my point for me, so I may have to retract some of the grovelling... :p Ah well, that's not the issue anyway <she says hurriedly 8-[ >. It's still duplicates to all intents and purposes, and that seems a bit of a waste of finite tool-making and R&D time. I can't believe this Golden Age will last forever, so it'd be nice to have as many bases covered as possible while it does, if you see what I mean. I know, I know. It's all "more, more, more" with me, isn't it? Sorry. :oops:

ydb, it just dawned on me that calling the #39 ugly may be a very smart move. After all Rob does seem to like planes only their mother could love... :-k

Duckin' and runnin', Alf

Alf":2vafhed7 said:
(snip)

ydb, it just dawned on me that calling the #39 ugly may be a very smart move. After all Rob does seem to like planes only their mother could love... :-k

Duckin' and runnin', Alf

I prefer to to agree with the guy who said our products had "wabi"... 8)

(and no - he wasn't talking about a "wabit" plane....)
[-X

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":36eaksm9 said:
All right, I'll humour you. Who or what is "wabi"? :-s "Wow, Absolutely Bloomin' 'ideous"? :-k Funny thing is I wasn't even necessarily thinking of your own stuff, but if you feel the description fits... :whistle: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":gsvulm24 said:
Rob Lee":gsvulm24 said:
All right, I'll humour you. Who or what is "wabi"? :-s "Wow, Absolutely Bloomin' 'ideous"? :-k Funny thing is I wasn't even necessarily thinking of your own stuff, but if you feel the description fits... :whistle: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Well, I'm not sure, Rob and Alf, but how about:
"wabi" is a Japanese word for "the imperfections that make an otherwise-perfect object beautiful and special".

Later...

A quick google came up with this

"Wabi" is the kind of perfect beauty that is seemingly-paradoxically caused by just the right kind of imperfection, such as an asymmetry in a ceramic bowl which reflects the handmade craftsmanship, as opposed to another bowl which is perfect, but soul-less and machine-made.

and also a poem attributed to Leonard Cohen:-

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There's a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

Andy

dedee":3gd3i4f3 said:
(snip)

and also a poem attributed to Leonard Cohen:-

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There's a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

Andy

Ah - good Canadian chap, Leonard Cohen is...

I Believe the Mennonites have a similar concept - where they put a single small flaw in things like quilts - as to make something perfect is "an offense to God"...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":1cgr10a3 said:
(snip)

as to make something perfect is "an offense to God"...

Cheers -

Rob

I'll use that everytime a make a missteak in my spelling.

Andy

I know, two countries separated by a common language.

Ah, like the imperfections in a carpet so as not to offend Allah? Heck of a useful excuse for us all when projects offer up Design Opportunities... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back