A couple of sightings of note...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ydb1md, I've just realised we're both pawns in el Presidente's plan to drown us all in our own drool... #-o :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Edit: we're also giving him altogether too much entertainment. :evil:

Alf":1m7ojhx6 said:
Edit: we're also giving him altogether too much entertainment. :evil:

I don't know, I feel kind of bad for Rob. He's stuck inside all day designing new tools. :cry: I'm hoping that he opens up a design shop in Maryland sometime soon. :roll: :p

I assume that occasionally he gets to venture into a woodshop . . . .

ydb1md":3oqw2a0c said:
I don't know, I feel kind of bad for Rob.
Hmm... maybe I'd feel sympathy too, if he didn't do stuff like emailing me with the subject line "Chuck..." trying to make me think it was the scoop on some new product when really it was about Chuck and Millie*... #-o [-X

Cheers, Alf

*Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall. Esoteric correspondence, no? :roll: :lol:

Can I have the first of the guides off the production line please? Brown paper wrapped parcel will be accepted.

Tony":1i1tepav said:
Rob

How much will it cost (roughly)?

The rumour was, 5 to 8 pounds more than the current one. I'm guessing around $50 -- not sure what that is in pounds.

If the dollar's value keeps heading south, Rob is going to have to raise his US prices soon.

mudman":3g44pvmw said:
Rob Lee":3g44pvmw said:
One of these....

http://www.starrett.com/pages/828_cmm_systems.cfm

Decently cool.... 8)

Cheers -

Rob

Ooh, a Starrett. Is that as good as the Starett 6" rule I picked up for a quid (£1 Rob) in the market last week?

Hey - I'm sittin here with my Strongbow....I know what a quid is... :lol:

We're still working on the costing - but in the UK it should be about £30 ...

Since the USD isn't what it used to be... I'll guess the price is $12-14 more than the current one in that market...

Ta -

Rob

It's ok, you can say it, the US dollar Sucks right now. :cry:

Strongbow eh? We'll have to do an off-topic poll about everyone's top 5 imbibements.

ydb1md":72zd8mre said:
It's ok, you can say it, the US dollar Sucks right now. :cry:

Strongbow eh? We'll have to do an off-topic poll about everyone's top 5 imbibements.

Well - the LCBO seems to have run out of Blackthorn.... been more than 3 weeks now...

Usually it's Grolsch.... but not on Sunday's....

Cheers -

Rob

Right now I'm enjoying a Sam Adams lager. If I had any Guiness, I'd be drinking that. It is a "school night," so I'll have to limit it to one . . . . . maybe two. :lol:

Picked this up over at another forum that I won't name 'cos they're dog-in-the-manger about mentioning other forums over there and two can play at that game. :wink:

Tom (LN) had a box of proto type tools for us to drool over. It included his new medium shoulder plane, skew chisels, marking knife and an improved #71 plane. The #71 is a beautiful tool , as you would expect. The Neatest thing in Tom's goody box was 3 different sharpening jigs. They will register off of the flat side of the blade rather than the top of the blade.

Ach, typical. Flippin' duplication. #-o It's as bad as rival telly channels putting stuff that'd appeal to the same people on at the same time. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":iblkeh13 said:
Ach, typical. Flippin' duplication. #-o It's as bad as rival telly channels putting stuff that'd appeal to the same people on at the same time. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

This is actually a great time for woodworkers -- neanders in general. Have you read the newest issue of Popular Woodworking? Great article on Lie Nielsen / Veritas. With Rob Lee coming out with so many new designs that combine quality and innovation, I think that Lie Nielsen has been spurred on to improve his game as well. The ones that benefit are all of us. At the beginning of the last century, Stanley dominated the iron plane market. Now, we have two great manufacturers to choose from, in addition to the plethora of vintage tools available to us.

I'm excited by a bunch of new tool releases by small manufacturers such as Glen Drake -- I have to get myself a set of his Tite hammers. The variety of new tools really speaks to the resurgence of hand tools' popularity.

ydb1md":2e970blp said:
This is actually a great time for woodworkers -- neanders in general.
In general? Or in particular? :) I don't disagree; I just wish, with so many types of plane (in particular :wink: ) to consider making, they were making different ones. And before Rob starts; I know, I know, they're quite different, you're not in competition, yadda yadda. :roll: Tell that to Neander X who wants a router plane (f'rinstance); is he/she really gonna say "I can fully justify having one of each 'cos they're both so different". I'd like to see them try that one of their S/HWMBO... :lol: Not to mention the untold thousands of old ones there are available, and for not much money, which actually work anyway. How can you really improve it? More to the point why bother? Tsk, I'm ranting again; it's the fact a grooving/dadoing/rebating whatevering doesn't seem to be under consideration - seriously - by either of them that gets me. Now a skewed dado plane, f'rinstance, that'd be worth making. Not exactly easily had at the moment, are they?

Have you read the newest issue of Popular Woodworking?
Chuckle. I dare say it may turn up some time before next Christmas, but that may be a triumph of hope over experience...

With Rob Lee coming out with so many new designs that combine quality and innovation, I think that Lie Nielsen has been spurred on to improve his game as well.
By releasing an iron version of the #102, which appears to be a direct competitor to the Veritas apron plane*, and a medium shoulder plane... :-k

*pace Rob; I know. No competition going on etc etc :-$ :wink:

The ones that benefit are all of us. At the beginning of the last century, Stanley dominated the iron plane market. Now, we have two great manufacturers to choose from, in addition to the plethora of vintage tools available to us.
I really do hope it'll carry on like that, but I worry that the market is really pretty small, and someone is going to suffer from the not-really-competition. But I hope I'm very, very wrong about that.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1yf1e9le said:
I really do hope it'll carry on like that, but I worry that the market is really pretty small, and someone is going to suffer from the not-really-competition. But I hope I'm very, very wrong about that.

Cheers, Alf

You're right about that, the market is pretty small. And, I can't imagine the development of "new" planes continuing at its current pace.

But, after the development of whatever is in the works, I hope that LN and LV keep producing their entire line for a long time to come. Or at least until I have time (and the funds) to buy one of each :wink:

ydb1md":g8jf1zxn said:
But, after the development of whatever is in the works, I hope that LN and LV keep producing their entire line for a long time to come. Or at least until I have time (and the funds) to buy one of each :wink:
:D

Alf":16jad3xm said:
...Tsk, I'm ranting again; it's the fact a grooving/dadoing/rebating whatevering doesn't seem to be under consideration - seriously - by either of them that gets me. Now a skewed dado plane, f'rinstance, that'd be worth making. Not exactly easily had at the moment, are they?...

As a handtool user, I too think there is a need for one of these companies to step forward and remake the #39s--and I hope it is LV. Rob, are you listening?

IMNSHO, I think LN would slavishly remake the #39s in every detail, great for traditionalists I suppose. Rob and Company would, I'm sure, make them a bit more comfortable to use.

I have two currently (was 3). I do use them. I have tried old woodies as well as one from Knight. I like the metal Stanleys better. The rear handle makes it easier for me to control the beginning of the cut.

While I would prefer a LV version, I would buy them from whoever did make them.

You know, as I walked back out to the shop I had a thought--dangerous I know--why not just remake the #47? Skewed with multiple blades of differing widths. That avoids the multiple #39 issue for both manufacturing and for the user to store...Ok, dangerous thought over I'm going back to work.

Latest posts

Back