A nice tease by Rob Lee . . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alf i think one of the reasons people don't sharpen saws any more is because it is difficult to get the kit these days.
i have a couple of eclipse saw sets bought from discount stores (or are they called overstock outlets now?) but finding the old files is much more difficult.although it was not the best for the last gnats sharpening, the old eclipse item which had a sliding rail at least was a good initial guide., but no one seems to stock them any more are they still made???

paul :-s

engineer one":1xdmj47t said:
...but finding the old files is much more difficult.although it was not the best for the last gnats sharpening, the old eclipse item which had a sliding rail at least was a good initial guide., but no one seems to stock them any more are they still made???
paul :-s
Hi Paul,

Nicholson still makes the files and they are available from LV and other sources--like the corner hardware store down the street from me <g>.

Also at the link to the saw sets (the 4-12 ppi is also available from LV) above they have a guided handsaw sharpener. Double rail. Seems like it was $38ish US.

A sharp handsaw is a wonderful thing :)

Mike

Paul, Axminster has them.

Don't misunderstand me, gents; I have functional saw sets. But then I have functional hand planes too, but this doesn't stop me wanting improved versions. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

why is it alf you want all things a working plane and saw as well as time to work on the from.
as usual the yanks have more availability than us.
also if you are new do you necessarily know about axminster.?
paul :)

engineer one":2wsj1pq4 said:
why is it alf you want all things
Sorry, it's a female thing. :oops: :lol:

engineer one":2wsj1pq4 said:
also if you are new do you necessarily know about axminster.?
I think, if you don't have your head in a bucket, then yes, you do. Ending up with an Axminster catalogue is kinda as inevitable for a UK-based newbie as asking about dado heads and "what's the best way to sharpen?" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Guys
Just jumping in here, don't know if this is of any use but at the Boot sale I go to there are ALWAYS several saw sets, usually Eclipse Model 77 in bronze or steel. They go for between 50p and £2. If anyone wants one I'm happy to get it for them and send it on.
Regards
martin

Latest posts

Back