Nearly put this in the joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why though do cyclists expect a five foot wide gap when motorists pass them yet are quite happy to cycle at speed between cars waiting at lights etc. why dont they give the cars a five foot wide space as well.
double standards.... ALL cyclists should have to be registered and wear a hi viz vest with that reg number on it just like cars have to have a reg. no vest equals plod stopping them and fines just as a car driver would get and it would also mean that when they run red lights the cameras could get them just like a car.. And a final question if a cyclist does run a red light and does get stopped if they have a car licence do they get points on it just as a car driver would?
Good question I think they should do, as a cyclist that annoys me as much as anything...

I've heard that weekend cyclists actually shave their legs like the professionals. I know this to be true as a cyclist I know
told me that he does exactly that and so do his mates. It's to do with the drag through said hairy legs, slows them down a bit.

Particularly irritating is cyclists on the road when there is a cycle path literally next to the road. I’ve asked people about why they do this and have been told that they don’t like using cycle paths because pedestrians get in the way!
I tend not to use cycle paths because they are dangerous. They are usually very poorly constructed, extremely rough, never maintained, overgrown and slippery. At this time of year they can be full of hawthorn cuttings where the hedges have been cut.
I often travel at a speed which would be a danger to pedestrians. It's not compulsory to use them or cycle lanes. I sometimes use cycle lanes, but they are normally at the edge of the road, full of pot holes and really dangerous. When you see a puddle, there could be a 5" deep hole in the middle of it. Some motorist think because you are in a cycle lane they don't need to leave any space when they overtake.
Every time I go out cycling, I have at least one incident where a motorist does something stupid.

I've heard that weekend cyclists actually shave their legs like the professionals. I know this to be true as a cyclist I know
told me that he does exactly that and so do his mates. It's to do with the drag through said hairy legs, slows them down a bit.
Actually hairy legs are faster. The hairs break the laminate flow of the air and reduce drag creating vortexes. Professional cyclists still shave their legs so that the rash plasters don’t get stuck to them.

I own 3 cars (including a sports car) and 3 bikes, so I'm a menace to someone every time I'm out on the road!
I think it's interesting about Highway Code and / or law changes, since many people (me included) aren't always aware of the change. However, my experience is that car drivers and bike riders are both as bad as each other. Both break the law in various ways (speeding, red lights etc.) and are quite vocal when they see others of the other fraternity doing something they don't like or agree with, ignoring their own indiscretions. I've had similar experiences - cars too close to me - when cycling or driving (particularly on the motorway, where some people appear to think they can fit their car in the boot of my sports car, which is only big enough for a large envelope). The difference, to me, is twofold. In a car you feel somehow protected from the elements and environment around you and this insulates you and on a bike, a small error can lead to painful consequences which isn't usually the case in a car.
Last year, during lockdown, I was fortunate enough to carry on work and continued to commute on my bike (12 miles each way) which was a delight due to the lack of cars. I did about 2000 miles commuting before I got knocked off in July 2020 and I'm still recovering from this. This was on a cycle lane ...
I don't think that "all drivers should be blamed for this", just that one driver didn't look and they were an accident waiting to happen, just that it happened to be me. I do think drivers or cyclists who cause accidents like this should be shot to improve the gene pool though ;)

when cycling or driving (particularly on the motorway, where some people appear to think they can fit their car in the boot of my sports car
You are braver than me. I wouldn't dare cycle on the motorway!! ;)

This actually happened to me. Riding my bike in London and a dude opened his car door. Left handle bar hooked the door and i went over the handlebars landing in the middle of the street. The bus behind screeched to a stop and the dude gets out his car not even apologising. He was the one that ended up lying on the road though 😬

Yes, I was nearly creamed by a car driver opening a door last Wednesday. Had I gone over I'd have taken the cyclist behind me too. I doubt the door would have fared too well either. The car owner was blissfully unaware.

I think you either don't have a car or are just lucky to get away with it, especially in London with that very efficient metropolitan police force.

Try this link if you don't believe road tax is still around Tax your vehicle
I think you are confusing vehicle excise duty with road tax, which has not existed since sometime in the 1930s. A quick search will provide the relevant details. One example :-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438As far as I can tell it was to prevent the entitlement argument of motorists, failed obviously, as it's still apparent 90 years later 🤯

I own 3 cars (including a sports car) and 3 bikes, so I'm a menace to someone every time I'm out on the road!
I think it's interesting about Highway Code and / or law changes, since many people (me included) aren't always aware of the change. However, my experience is that car drivers and bike riders are both as bad as each other. Both break the law in various ways (speeding, red lights etc.) and are quite vocal when they see others of the other fraternity doing something they don't like or agree with, ignoring their own indiscretions. I've had similar experiences - cars too close to me - when cycling or driving (particularly on the motorway, where some people appear to think they can fit their car in the boot of my sports car, which is only big enough for a large envelope). The difference, to me, is twofold. In a car you feel somehow protected from the elements and environment around you and this insulates you and on a bike, a small error can lead to painful consequences which isn't usually the case in a car.
Last year, during lockdown, I was fortunate enough to carry on work and continued to commute on my bike (12 miles each way) which was a delight due to the lack of cars. I did about 2000 miles commuting before I got knocked off in July 2020 and I'm still recovering from this. This was on a cycle lane ...
I don't think that "all drivers should be blamed for this", just that one driver didn't look and they were an accident waiting to happen, just that it happened to be me. I do think drivers or cyclists who cause accidents like this should be shot to improve the gene pool though ;)
I’ve always thought the greatest aid to road safety would be a 12 inch hardened steel spike sticking out of the center of the steering wheel.

Actually, my real thought is “training”. Anyone who has worked in any industry with regulations knows about training, both initial and refresher. Sometimes it’s necessary to keep your job. Operating a 2 ton machine at speed, or a 7kg bike with a tyre contact patch as big as 8 sq. cm should really be the subject of better, more frequent training and/or recertification. We could start by making everyone who has caused an accident where someone was injured having to pass a test before being allowed to drive/ride again.

Try riding a high performance road bike along a typical cycle path and if you still have teeth left at the end of it you have found the 1% of good cycle paths in the U.K.
This is why I ride a 160mm travel full suss Ebike. It's ultra comfortable and i can ride over anything.
My Bike.jpg

Last edited:
Its a wide ranging topic so here goes,,,
In Rome we found lots of “Zebra Crossings” except the traffic will not stop for you,,in the end you realise that you just have to start walking and the cars stop, but as you pass the lane behind you starts off again and the lane in front is still going,,feels bloody dangerous but seems to work okay.
Steve.

Back