Nearly put this in the joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why though do cyclists expect a five foot wide gap when motorists pass them yet are quite happy to cycle at speed between cars waiting at lights etc. why dont they give the cars a five foot wide space as well.

When a car passes a bicycle there's typically a much higher closing speed. There's also a lot more kinetic energy in the system than when a bicycle passes a stopped car. Thus more chance of more damage when the car passes the bicycle, which indicates that more clearance is required for adequate safety.

Pheasants should be banned, hit one the other day £1400 of damage. Through the grill, through the electric louvers, and damage to radiator.
Hit a deer the week before in the van and did the bonnet in.
Not a good run, I'm vegan and seriously wondering if fate is playing a game with me.
Within 2 weeks of buying a new car, I hit one. I got out to inspect the damage, only to find the 'peasant' trapped by it's foot between bumper & grill & taking it's last breath. The only damage was to the grille locating lugs which a couple of self tappers fixed. I got my revenge by removing the now dead pheasant & putting it in the boot. Later I plucked, cooked, & ate it!!
It may be unlawful to pick up a pheasant that has been killed by one's own car, but in this case the bird never landed on the road.

When a car passes a bicycle there's typically a much higher closing speed. There's also a lot more kinetic energy in the system than when a bicycle passes a stopped car. Thus more chance of more damage when the car passes the bicycle, which indicates that more clearance is required for adequate safety.
Cyclists working their way through narrow gaps between stationary cars do it slowly and carefully. If cars overtook at the same sorts of speed there would be no problem.
Another less obvious 2 wheel prob is that they have to wobble - balance is achieved by leaning one way and then the other. Look at wet tyre tracks and you can see it. The slower they go the more they have to wobble and the more room they need, especially if near a kerb.

Why is it when meeting oncoming traffic that's passing parked vehicles, do the oncomers try to get as near as possible to you, yet leave s much space as they can from the obviousley empty parked vehicles?

A phenomenon that I have also observed.

There's also the unpredictability when passing a cyclist due to road surface:

When a car drives along the road it is likely to follow a straight route unless there is an obvious obstruction such as a pot hole which is avoidable.

An experienced road cyclist is closely analysing the road surface constantly to avoid pot holes, cracks, drain covers, gutters, speed bumps and a host of other surface furniture. Most cyclists are generally unaware of traffic behind them (unless that have something like a Varia radar) and will weave around to avoid imperfections in the road surface without being aware of what is behind them (they wont necessarily hear a vehicle behind them). The nearer a car gets to a cyclist as it over takes the greater is the risk of them coming together in the event of a weave.

If a cyclist is passing a slow or stationary object they will naturally leave enough room to avoid the obstacle and also take into account imperfections in the road surface as well. Only a really inexperienced or idiotic cyclist will deliberately pass very close to an object at speed.

Why is it when meeting oncoming traffic that's passing parked vehicles, do the oncomers try to get as near as possible to you, yet leave s much space as they can from the obviousley empty parked vehicles?

Most people aren't very confident about the width of their vehicle, particularly as it extends towards the side of the road. Add in the fear of kerbing a wheel, scraping a parked car, someone stepping out between parked cars, or someone opening their door without looking, and I think a lot of people feel safer quite a long way from any obstructions on the left.

Most people aren't very confident about the width of their vehicle, particularly as it extends towards the side of the road. Add in the fear of kerbing a wheel, scraping a parked car, someone stepping out between parked cars, or someone opening their door without looking, and I think a lot of people feel safer quite a long way from any obstructions on the left.
But NOT entirely worried at hitting an on coming vehicle at twice the speed!

If you believe a mask can contain a disease you must also believe your undies can contain a farrrt. :LOL:
Okay, I'll rephase that. It's prats in supermarkets, not wearing masks because they think they know more than scientists, that I would gladly beat to death...

For prats on forums, with similar views, I'm still considering my options.

But just to bring some humour back - the thing about farts and undies is, at least the undies catch any large particles.

Cheers, Vann.

Then there's those that cannot wait between parked vehicles to let passing ones go by before walking out & opening their door in the face of an on coming vehicle.
What about 'pram/buggy pushers' who swing the front end out over the kerb before looking, and those that come out between parked cars buggy first, & parents who park with the baby seat on the road side rather than the kerb etc etc.
I guess that's gone off at a tangent, but ---. It'll probably start something off!;)🎅

There's also a lot more kinetic energy in the system than when a bicycle passes a stopped car. Thus more chance of more damage when the car passes the bicycle, which indicates that more clearance is required for adequate safety.
Is it not also feasable that as a vehicle approaches the bicyclist it is moving a wall of air and so as it passes it provides an airbag for protection and keeps the two apart, if too far away then it could pull the bicyclist in as it creates a partial depression.

"The older you get the dafter you are".
Is that not because as you get older you get wiser and realise that maintaining an image to others has been a pointless exercise and now you can just be you and not worry what others may think.

Back