Nearly put this in the joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't get me started on people storing their private property in public places, I'm talking about parking car parked on public roads and even on the pedestrian pavement at the side of a road in far too many cases. Try putting a shed in the road outside your house and see what motorists will say about that blocking the roads but they completely ignore the chaos caused by parked vehicles.
Good point!
Perhaps the single biggest mistake of motor traffic management was to allow parking anywhere - other than as necessary to stop and start as going about business.
It would not have been allowed at any other time in the past - all vehicles were kept off road when not in active use.
I'd quite like to leave a couple of redundant wardrobes out in the street but they'd go ape s**t!

Good point!
Perhaps the single biggest mistake of motor traffic management was to allow parking anywhere - other than as necessary to stop and start as going about business.
It would not have been allowed at any other time in the past - all vehicles were kept off road when not in active use.
I'd quite like to leave a couple of redundant wardrobes out in the street but they'd go ape s**t!

Get yourself a nice big box van, make sure it is taxed (fit it with an electric motor and a battery and it will be free to tax it, it doesn't have to be able to actually drive, a pre 1981 model is free too). That will give you plenty of room to store those wardrobes.

The sad fact is that parking a car and blocking a carriageway is prohibited it is just not enforced. Every car that is parked at the side of a road such that it causes a vehicle to change lanes to get around it is technically parked illegally.

"The second problem is my labrador. He hates bikes. Don't know why - he's never said."

Was hoping dogs were not going to be mentioned - you know those on shared walk /cycle paths where they are not on leads and a problem for everyone?

Ok, one quick question, I get the lycra for top cyclists, I get it for fit fast amateurs and I get it for skinny people pretending to be good cyclists, but for people carrying 3 stone plus, toddling along at walking pace, why's that then?
Now I know it's none of my business, I know it makes no difference to me etc etc, but what is the mental process of thinking this tight fitting clothing is just the thing for me. Is it the equivalent of buying lee neilsen planes when you have just started woodworking?
Beats me.
fat-cyclist.jpg

Our local council had the bright idea a few months ago to allow cyclists to ride on the pavement by widening it by about a yard.
It cost a small fortune, and the works took bloody weeks. They also lost a bus stop pull-in courtesy of the widening, so the bus now holds up more traffic because it has to stop on the carriageway.
Then then felt obliged to put up 14 metal signs - some duplicated, but at different heights! - with "really useful information" that a 5 year old could understand.
There were two main problems with the idea.
The bloody cyclists have used the pavement for years, and pedestrians have to get out of their way.
The second problem is my labrador. He hates bikes. Don't know why - he's never said.
The biker I confronted this morning was helmeted with forward and rear-facing cameras, lycra suit endorsed with some team or other, and was hammering it as though his life depended on it.
On the pavement!

He looked bloody ridiculous.
Yea, a separate cycle lane doesn't make much sense if it's separate from cars but shared with pedestrians. Merely moves the problem between a different set of people.

Ok, one quick question, I get the lycra for top cyclists, I get it for fit fast amateurs and I get it for skinny people pretending to be good cyclists, but for people carrying 3 stone plus, toddling along at walking pace, why's that then?
Now I know it's none of my business, I know it makes no difference to me etc etc, but what is the mental process of thinking this tight fitting clothing is just the thing for me. Is it the equivalent of buying lee neilsen planes when you have just started woodworking?
Most obvious reason is probably that it's the "done thing"; though many decent road bike saddles are like razor blades so the padded shorts do help your gentleman's veg and barse*

I think there is some evidence that tight but stretchy material is helpful to muscles for exercise (don't know the details).

Final reason is that tight fitting clothes don't flap around and result in drag (wind resistance) or get caught in chains.

But mostly it is likely because it's the "done thing".

* The bit between your b*ll*ks and your @RSE

Most obvious reason is probably that it's the "done thing"; though many decent road bike saddles are like razor blades so the padded shorts do help your gentleman's veg and barse*

I think there is some evidence that tight but stretchy material is helpful to muscles for exercise (don't know the details).

Final reason is that tight fitting clothes don't flap around and result in drag (wind resistance) or get caught in chains.

But mostly it is likely because it's the "done thing".

* The bit between your b*ll*ks and your @RSE

The materials also wick sweat and allow heat to dissipate. Certainly, for me, this makes a massive difference.

Lycra also attracts a discount in some cake shops too!

The materials also wick sweat and allow heat to dissipate. Certainly, for me, this makes a massive difference.

Lycra also attracts a discount in some cake shops too!
Good for hitching lifts too. Especially if you are carrying a wheel. In fact it's one of the fastest ways to get around the country. You can get two cars stopping at a time!
I found this out by chance when a spoke broke in Loch Carron and I had to hitch to Dingwall for a repair. There and back in a flash! A couple of pints and a scotch pie while I waited for the repair

Does he not realise how ridiculous he looks wearing socks with sandals
Yebbut probably a beginner - after a year of cycling he'd be lean as a whippet and fast as f ook!
He's probably got sandals with spd cleats.

Last edited:
True story
Was at a favourite wheelbuilder a number of years ago and as the owner likes to chinwag and takes all day to do the wheels so I sat outside for a bit to have a ciggie.
Roadie, in his ultra clean roadie lycra comes up to me , a complete stranger and says directly. 'Smoking is a disgusting habit'. I've been a bit of a regular at this place and im sure some will be shocked to learn I can be a bit outspoken, but I've never met him, and him me, so the comment was too direct and out of place to the extent I saw it as him being a cheeky sob.
So anyway. He says such and i turn to him and say. No, smoking isn't a disgusting habit, W*****g is a disgusting habit, are you a W****r ?
No he says.
So I said to him, well F*** of and stop acting like one.
I'm 15stone and 6'3" and he was like 5'6" or something so quickly wandered off :LOL: No doubt went off to tell tales to the owner and staff about the aggressive nutter outside :LOL:

Now there are proposals to have vehicle excise duty ring fenced to pay for the expansion of the "strategic road network", not pay for all roads just expansion of stategic ones... That was supposed to happen this year but I haven't seen anything about it for quite some time.

They can pineapple right off!! Theyve got to fix all the potholes first!!!

Ok, one quick question, I get the lycra for top cyclists, I get it for fit fast amateurs and I get it for skinny people pretending to be good cyclists

Nope and nope. Men should be banned from lycra full stop. If you are intent on bombing around on a race bike, the real life ' benefits ' ( reduced air resistance ) of subjecting innocent road users and pedestrians to such psychological injury just isnt justified 😆🤣

Girls get a free pass tho

Funny af Road rage.

Did a good roll at the end tho 😆🤣😂

Good for hitching lifts too. Especially if you are carrying a wheel. In fact it's one of the fastest ways to get around the country. You can get two cars stopping at a time!

Well.... i worked for a property developer and he was a cyclist, carbon wheels, lycra, the works. One day he was cycling along in the rain and saw a girl drop her art folder and her drawings went into the water on the pavement. He stopped to help ( in his lycra ) and a middleaged woman nearby shoed him away looking most stern..... i think he then realised just how he looked in his wet lycra getup 😆🤪

Funny to think that when I go out in my cycling kit there's a whole lot of old woodworkers getting all excited about me!
Maybe should work on it - creative places to put a pouch of tools and a spare tube etc. :unsure:

Last edited:
Try riding a high performance road bike along a typical cycle path and if you still have teeth left at the end of it you have found the 1% of good cycle paths in the U.K. Pedestrians can be an annoyance, for the same reasons cars get upset at bikes (they get in the way and slow you down), but they have every right to be there so I suck it up. Even the painted lanes at the edge of a main carriageway can be a problem as they don’t get swept by vehicle tires so have all kinds of puncture or crash inducing stuff all over them.
Quite right, try watching Le TdF & see how many punctures etc are picked up in the 'gutter' & wet white lines bringing riders down. Before someone says it:- yes they are going at much faster rates than yer every day cyclist.

Latest posts

Back