Mouldings by hand.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always interesting to see the results of your delving into old traditional carpentry stuff, Adam. I don't comment very often on what you get up to, but just thought I'd let you know that I pay attention, even if I'm never going to emulate what you do. Slainte.

Thanks for looking Richard, I always wonder who's interested in this stuff I'm messing about with. It's all a bit niche, but I'm enjoying myself a lot trying this stuff out.

The next moulding I'm looking at making is incredible, but I think it's going to be quite tricky to make.

Thanks for looking Richard, I always wonder who's interested in this stuff I'm messing about with. It's all a bit niche, but I'm enjoying myself a lot trying this stuff out.

The next moulding I'm looking at making is incredible, but I think it's going to be quite tricky to make.
To be honest Adam, it's quite often the case that on initial sight of what you're doing I haven't got a baldy what you're up to or why. It's so very different to my version of beating wood into acquiescent submission, but it's always refreshing to be reminded of stuff that I usually have some slight awareness of, even if it's only very vaguely, in the background. Slainte.

Don't comment very often - but love what you do - it is a refreshing window into a craftsman's passion - of course it is always possible that you do it all on a CNC machine tucked out of sight ;) - Keep posting!

Going round the bend now.......

IMG_2096 copy.jpg

I've had this piece milled up and lying in the woods uncovered for over 12 years, it's still wet inside.

I’m guessing there was a big calling for suitably curved wood for all these curved mouldings. I have read of bent trees being harvested for the ribs of ships but I suppose that was the case for the majority of architectural work as well.

There are lots of curved historic oak trusses which have broken because they used straight timber which was sawn in a curve. I guess that bent timber must have been in short supply because of the demand.

Nowadays it's just sold here as defective for firewood, so I can pick it up for very little money, £40 per cubic meter.

I'm considering making that section of the Hewett sketch in 1/2 scale now that I have some bits prepared already.

Hmmmmm.... Looking at that picture above, I think my Hewett drawing is off by a country mile and I'm beginning to suspect that Hewett is not as accurate as I had hoped either.

Never mind, I shall adjust my dissertation question to fit the research.

IMG_2178.JPG

Back