Acoustic Guitar Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliveB

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted a photo of this in the "post a photo of the last thing you made" thread a couple of days ago, but I thought I'd add some more detail here. This was my first attempt at building an acoustic guitar.

Front.JPG

This is a steel string guitar based on a Martin 0-28 with a slotted headstock and 12 frets to the body. The scale length is 25" (635mm). The plans are from here GenOne Luthier Services Guitar Plans

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

The soundboard is western red cedar and the back/sides/neck are from african mahogany. Fingerboard/headstock veneer/bindings/bridge are indian rosewood and I used a bubinga inlay around the sound hole. A two-way trussrod is installed. The fingerboard width at the nut is 47mm and the fingerboard is flat with no radius (that's the way I like it).

The saddle (from bone) is split to allow better intonation and the nut (also bone) has been compensated to improve improve intonation at the lower frets (believe me it works). It was surprising how much compensation was needed at the nut - about 2.5mm for the 6th string. I use 10 - 47 size phosphor bronze strings.

The guitar was constructed on a flat traditional spanish-style workboard (a "solera") and no moulds were used. There is no dome to the soundboard which is constructed flat, to achieve the correct height of the strings at the bridge the fingerboard has a slight taper along its length. There is a slight dome to the back however.

IMG_2324 detail.jpg

The neck to body joint utilises a traditional spanish "slipper heel" type of construction. Note that this version uses two tapered wedges to secure the joint. This is a lot easier than trying to cut a deep 2mm slot to take the ribs (sides).

IMG_2328 detail.jpg

By far the hardest part of the build was bending the ribs, I have a thermostatically controlled bending iron, and needed a lot of practice to get this right. The end shape was close enough to the template however and at least the two sides ended up pretty well symmetrical.

The finish is a solvent based matt polyurethane.

The book I found most useful was "Guitarmaking" by Cumpiano and Natelson. The idea of using the "slipper heel" for a steel string guitar was from the book by Alex Willis and the idea for the tapered wedges from Courtnall's book.

I'm really pleased with how this guitar sounds and the 0 size is so comfortable to play and surprisingly loud.

Clive

That’s lovely. I know what you mean about the size, I bought a parlor guitar recently after wanting one for a long time and I’d never go back to a larger bodied guitar now.

Absolutely great Clive--well done. To build a first guitar that looks good (workmanship) and most important of all to sound good at a first attempt is excellent. I have only made one guitar--a gypsy guitar---looks good but sound is a no-no!---on to the second one for me in the future.

Clive, you are a braver man than me I'm too old now to even think about it. That looks to me like a winner great looking and you say great sound well done. I have a Guild D55e a present from my wife last Aug. just then at that time, I lost the use of my right arm and shoulder, my shoulder joint collapsed and my tendons snapped (waiting for an op in the next few weeks) I was so gutted I have not even been able to play it properly yet. Added a pic of my family of guitars in case you may be interested. If I have posted in the wrong place I'm sorry, Mods.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I replied earlier. Just a thought regarding intonation at the nut & bridge. Did you work it out yourself or did it come from another resource?

Many thanks
Mike

Clive, you are a braver man than me I'm too old now to even think about it. That looks to me like a winner great looking and you say great sound well done. I have a Guild D55e a present from my wife last Aug. just then at that time, I lost the use of my right arm and shoulder, my shoulder joint collapsed and my tendons snapped (waiting for an op in the next few weeks) I was so gutted I have not even been able to play it properly yet. Added a pic of my family of guitars in case you may be interested. If I have posted in the wrong place I'm sorry, Mods.
Hi DRC
I’m sorry to hear of your health issues; I hope that your op goes well and that you’ll be able to get on with playing your lovely Guild very soon.

What style of music do you like to play?

Clive

I replied earlier. Just a thought regarding intonation at the nut & bridge. Did you work it out yourself or did it come from another resource?

Many thanks
Mike
Now that’s a good question. I have intonated my other guitars and had some idea of what I needed but at different scale length/actions etc. However there is a compensation calculator on the web by Mattola which takes all the string parameters/scale length/action in to account. He also published a paper which explains the theory which gave me a bit more confidence in his model. The string data I used is all on the d’addario site.

So, I basically used this calculation as the starting point allowing for some leeway either side by using a 3.5mm wide saddle. The final compensation was arrived by using a file and the Petersen strobe app on my iPhone.

I have not yet checked the final compensation against the calculator, partly because it’s hard to measure the action all that accurately, maybe I’ll do that when I get back from holiday. At any rate it seems fairly close.

The nut compensation was by trial and error using some steel dowels of just the right diameter to slip under the strings (they came from an old thread measuring set). Then measure the distance with a digital calliper. And find the optimum tuning for the lower 5 frets. The accuracy of this is at very best 0.25mm, but the nut compensation seems less sensitive than compensation at the saddle.

The added nut compensation really does help with those open string chords. I think it’s well worth the effort.

Clive

CliveB: Many thanks for taking the time to explain the method you used for working out the intonation question I asked about. Brilliant answer. Look forward to seeing your next guitar. I am sure other members of our fraternity would look forward to that.

Kind regards
Mike.

Hi DRC
I’m sorry to hear of your health issues; I hope that your op goes well and that you’ll be able to get on with playing your lovely Guild very soon.

What style of music do you like to play?

Clive
Clive thank you for the reply, over the many years my choices of music have changed very much. I was originally inspired by Les Paul my then-idol at the age of 12 (listen to 1948 Les Paul & Mary Ford's How High the Moon). Then dance band, modern jazz, Light rock-n-roll, ragtime, and for many years Folk of all kinds incl. electric folk. So I'd say eclectic wouldn't you? What is your style/styles? Keep playing and keep music live. David

This is a subject that I have some experience with. Here are two recent guitars, number 104 and 105. First of all, congratulations are in order. Getting a first guitar built and strung up is a real accomplishment.
Two resources that helped me a lot were Robbie O Brien’s online photo montage course on steel string guitar building which was huge. Secondly, Kent Carlos Everett’s video on building a responsive guitar. His teaching style is so grotesque a lot of guys can’t stick it out but after watching it a couple of times I was able to build guitars that impressed professional players.
I remember though my wife asking me, when I was finishing my first, “So, how much have you got wrapped up in this”? It was about $2800.00. And that was thirteen years ago and I’d built everything I could myself.
So, as far as hobbies go it is cheaper than booze and babes, certainly less than offshore racing, but not an endeavor at which you’ll likely prosper.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi John,
Those are some seriously good looking guitars. Thanks for suggesting I look at the other two luthiers’ videos - I’ll check them out.

I retired a couple or so years ago and I’m not looking for a second career - this is just for fun. I admit that l am a bit obsessed by intonation though!

Clive

As far as I’m concerned building stringed instruments is about the most fun a person can have. Keep it up Clive. Here’s a uke I’m finishing up, along with the original.
I recently had my seventy fifth birthday so I suspect you’ve got time.
IMG_0264.jpeg

Back