Through neck larch guitar project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello folks

I am weighing up another guitar project.

This one will by a six string, wrap around bridge, p90s, solid body.

I like to recycle wood where possible. My body will be mahogany, about 1 ¼” thick with a cap, probably carved.

I have mahogany which I can use for the neck, but want to try something unusual.

I have been given some beautiful book matched quarter sawn larch planks. I am planning to use them for the “drop top”.

Then I had an idea to make this a through neck, using the quarter sawn larch for the neck. It is very stable, very strong and with a two way adjustable truss rod might make a nice neck. Obviously this is not a standard neck wood, and probably for good reason.

But is there a valid reason to run a mile?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Steve

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
Larch is a quite resinous softwood. Pretty strong as softwood goes, but personally I would not use it for a guitar neck which is under continuous and uneven tension from six steel strings. You will be fitting a truss rod, but I would not bank on stability along the scale or in twist. Worth a try if it is just for you, not for sale.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
the reason is dents, even hard softwood is going to get dents in it, I have seen pine and softwood bodies but not as necks, and as a guitarist I would not feel confident it would hold up well, especially to touring and live work.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Everything you say makes sense. Even for personal use only, I do want to waste the time and materials without being reasonably happy that it will work.

I am now starting to question whether it will be a poor choice for the top on the body as well. It has to take the bridge studs without the stud holes becoming oval. Maybe a strat style hard tail bridge would be a better bet.

Thanks for you wisdom.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
Yep. Lifelong guitarist and made a lot too. It all depends on how well you look after your guitars. Stage work gives them a hard life. There is a reason why top end manufacturers use hardwoods for necks and tops.