Mouldings by hand.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the selection of scraper blades that were used for the round sections and the web of the moulding. These negate the use of all of the hollow and round planes except for the round used on the cavetto.

Made from sawplate from a rusty old disposable demolition saw, which had seen better days and lots of action.

I need to make two handed holders with rudimentary depth stops so to gauge for a consistent depth along the length of the moulding.

IMG_1957.JPG

And here's one of the other V&A mouldings from the same window, loads of tool marks on the top section.

IMG_1889.JPG

Last edited:
@AdamW, I took a closer picture of the profiles on the window head section, the moulding's are very cleanly cut and applied, and don't show any tooling witness marks, they look more machine made to me.

profile.jpg

Perhaps they are much later additions to the house after all, but to be "machined" would date them to late 19th century, I would have thought, it seem's also that all the rot was on what would have been sapwood in the sections of Oak.

Following your post's closely, trying to work out and consider my options!

By the late 17th century a full set of hollow and round planes was commercially available, so the mouldings would have become crisper, and I think that's the inside face which is in really good condition and it may also have been sanded a few times when it was painted.

It's a nice looking window, but I don't think it's 19th century.

Last edited:
I could probable buy a stack of planes on the basis of the price I quoted for tooling to make these profiles, but wouldn't know where to look to find any that match, any suggestions?

Couple more pictures:

This was all that was left of one of the mullions

rot_mullion.jpg Mullion_head.jpg Nice scribed joint in the other piece of mullion to the head.

I have looked very closely at all the profiles they are all in the solid, that nail in the mullion is just a random one, probably used to fixed some sort of cover to the inside when it was failing, this window is from the attic, so it may have been boarded over.

Here's the selection of scraper blades that were used for the round sections and the web of the moulding. These negate the use of all of the hollow and round planes except for the round used on the cavetto.

Made from sawplate from a rusty old disposable demolition saw, which had seen better days and lots of action.

I need to make two handed holders with rudimentary depth stops so to gauge for a consistent depth along the length of the moulding.

View attachment 162653

And here's one of the other V&A mouldings from the same window, loads of tool marks on the top section.

View attachment 162654
I appreciate where you are going with this one Adam.....but would the craftsmen of the 14/15th century have access to the metal or cutters/grinders to easily make & sharpen such scrapers?

I showed my father this thread, who joined the family business and with his father ran a large joinery shop doing everything from the mills to shop fitting. They were both master joiners. He said that for anything a little unusual they would just make a set of planes up if it wasn’t practical on the spindle. The local blacksmith would make them a blade, but they had blank blades in stock in various widths. It wasn’t unusual to make a plane or two for a specific job if the client was happy to pay for the work.

I was only a small boy when they closed the shop in the 70’s after the mills all closed. They had a huge, and mean huge bonfire of all the bespoke wooden planes and weighed in all the cutters that came out of them.

Last edited:
I appreciate where you are going with this one Adam.....but would the craftsmen of the 14/15th century have access to the metal or cutters/grinders to easily make & sharpen such scrapers?
Well, they did have the ability to harden, shape and laminate iron and steel for carpentry tools and make files, so why not ?

I'll post some of the 13th century beam mouldings I'm looking at later today, so you can judge for yourself how complex things were at that time.

But it's a good question.

Last edited:
Back