Mouldings by hand.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I have taught myself to carve both left and right handed without mashing up my knuckles, so that I don't have to keep moving heavy lumps of timber about.

Because of the inevitable knots in work like this and the fact that I'm not a spring chicken any more, being able to carve both ways with a relaxed style is essential to conserve energy, as there's hours of mallet and 3" gouge work in something as simple as this.

Last edited:
Lots of wood too.

Half way with this one then. It's 12" across the width and stands 10" high at the moment, plus another 5" on top to go yet.

I'll put a finish on it tomorrow and do a little bit more fitting.

IMG_2208 copy.jpg

I initially thought these large mouldings were planed, but I'm now convinced that they were done with one or two half round gouges and a rebate plane, plus a couple of framing chisels.

This is just flipped over now, without finishing, and all the roughness has disappeared into the shadow of the hollow.

IMG_2206 copy.jpg

A 5' long shaving !

IMG_2184 copy.jpg

Working on the pierced frieze at the moment with some quality timber.....very much a case of trying to squeeze a 6" width out of something which really wants to be 4" instead.

IMG_2213 copy.jpg

One face looks good, which is all that's required.

IMG_2214 copy.jpg

This is no place to worry about planed all round or planed square edge, which makes for a very liberating way to work.

Managed to get 5 1/2" out of it all the way along.

Working on the pierced frieze at the moment with some quality timber.....very much a case of trying to squeeze a 6" width out of something which really wants to be 4" instead.

View attachment 163902

One face looks good, which is all that's required.

View attachment 163903

This is no place to worry about planed all round or planed square edge, which makes for a very liberating way to work.

Managed to get 5 1/2" out of it all the way along.
I love to see work like this with great attention shown to what you can see and rough riven on the back. I’ve mentioned before lifting floor boards in a very old house to find the backs only flattened where they sat on the joists.

Looking forward to seeing this one assembled.

Latest posts

Back