mortice and tenons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got 32 windows to make so i thought id best work out a way of speeding up the process of cutting 128 tenons :cry: I was thinking of roughing out the tenons on the bandsaw , cutting the shoulders on the RAS and then cleaning up the tenons on the router table with the mitre fence .
Anyone else got any better ideas please [-o<

Yes. Use a spindle moulder with two tenoning disks plus a spacer OR mortise both sides of the joint and use a loose tenon to connect. Either way would be faster IMHO

Scrit

use the Trend M&T Router Jig as used by David Free?

Seems like too many operations to me. How big are these tenons? Maybe it would make sense to make a jig to allow the entire tenon to be cut with a router. Or, if all the shoulders are the same dimension, set up a router table to do it.

The Mill would do it, too. In fact you could set up to do a bunch of them at once on the mill. Machine one face on a dozen or so pieces, rotate the work, mill again, etc.

Dave R":1b95uguc said:
...rotate the work, mill again, etc.
Ah, but therein lies potential inaccuracy when batch machining. Always best to try cutting tenons in one pass if you can.

Scrit

I vote for the Legacy as I think if you came a simple stop that you can but up your rails to, you can get them all the same :wink:

Mr_Grimsdale":3l3c2jet said:
Dave R":3l3c2jet said:
Scrit":3l3c2jet said:
Dave R":3l3c2jet said:
Ah, but therein lies potential inaccuracy when batch machining. Always best to try cutting tenons in one pass if you can.

Scrit

But how do you cut all four sides in one pass?
4 sides? There'd only be 2. Or if haunched the 3rd side would be no prob with the bandsaw as it isn't quite as critical for accuracy.

cheers
Jacob

Where does JFC say there aren't four shoulders to cut for these tenons?

Wow you lot have been busy while i've been marking out :lol:
I must admit i normally take my tenons straight from the bandsaw but i know if im doing alot i get bored and start to rush things so i rough cut them and clean them up with the router . I want to do through M&T with wedges so i don't think a router jig will help .
Ive tried tenons on the Legacy 8-[ and it tended to snatch resulting in me having to buy a new indexing cog :oops: Thinking along the lines of the legacy i could rough them out on the band saw , cut the shoulders on the RAS and then line them up on the legacy and pass the router over them , i should get around 25 tenons cleaned up in 4 - 6 passes :D

If you want to use the Legacy, why not make a table to support the work? You can set stops and a hold down to keep the work in place and then hack away.

milltable1.jpg

Dave R":1pimjtvn said:
Scrit":1pimjtvn said:
Dave R":1pimjtvn said:
But how do you cut all four sides in one pass?
You'd normally use tenons with only two cheeks as Mr. G implied. The way I'm used to doing it nowadays is 4 up on a single end tenoner or sometimes the same arrangement on a spindle moulder (pushed through with a square board) - either way with a backer board to limit spelch. Before I had a single ender I'd do it the way Jacob proferred, on a bandsaw with an end limit stop and move the fence so the same face of the components was always the register face - as soon as you flip a piece over register and accuracy can go out the window (sic). If everything is in register on one side and minor differences in thickness can be dealt with by the jack plane after assembly.

Scrit

Latest posts

Back