Lots of hot air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just imagine if all you guys were to put forward ideas to generate power worked togeather building prototypes i think we could solve some of the problems we are going to face in the future it only takes a conserted effort when we are faced with a shortage of things personaly we soon think of ways to compensate just got to learn to share our ideas instead of greed taking over Just an idea
As is written: necessity is the mother of invention

I completely agree. The news at the moment, about almost everything, is is either crying over spilled milk or shutting the stable door etc. This forum has such a range of talents and experience. I'm sure instead of the almost inevitable "change can't work", practical solutions to make the world a better and sustainable place should dominate the conversation. We need all of us, on the left, right and centre, to be actively doing what we can.
Martin

are you sure….we can’t even sharpen a chisel:)

I am late to the party and have not read everything in this 28-page thread so forgive me if it has already been said but I have not seen it.

Surely we are overpopulated?

Why would we need this frenetic lifestyle if there were not so many people?

We are outliving our design spec by using our intelligence and technologies, keeping people alive way beyond what is natural, and using energy in the process.

With fewer people we would need less of everything and life would need less intensive methods to keep everyone in the style they have become accustomed to.

Just my two penneth worth!

Mick

I am late to the party and have not read everything in this 28-page thread so forgive me if it has already been said but I have not seen it.

Surely we are overpopulated?

Why would we need this frenetic lifestyle if there were not so many people?

We are outliving our design spec by using our intelligence and technologies, keeping people alive way beyond what is natural, and using energy in the pross.

With fewer people we would need less of everything and life would need less intensive methods to keep everyone in the style they have become accustomed to.

Just my two penneth worth!

Mick
It has been said.
So why not have a cull?
Start by culling those individuals who have the biggest carbon footprint and/or the highest consumption of stuff.

I'm not sure how that would work, as those are often the same people who run things. I'm guessing the old and poor would be the first to go.

It has been said.
So why not have a cull?
Start by culling those individuals who have the biggest carbon footprint and/or the highest consumption of stuff.
The cull is underway as we speak. It's happening naturally as climate change disrupts the way we live and pulls the carpet from under our feet. The less we intervene then the quicker it will happen. Nothing to worry about on that front at least!
Presumably there will be survivors but there is no guarantee. Those most dependent on high carbon technology have furthest to fall as they struggle to adapt to a very different world. Burbling on about "nucular" power won't help them much as their world shrinks and collapses.
About as realistic a solution as colonising outer space.
PS come to think - colonising our deep ocean bottoms would be much more viable. Nearer for a start and technologically simpler - and with a food source to hand just outside the submersible!

Last edited:
It has been said.
So why not have a cull?

I'm not sure how that would work, as those are often the same people who run things. I'm guessing the old and poor would be the first to go.
Soilient Green or what

We are outliving our design spec by using our intelligence and technologies, keeping people alive way beyond what is natural, and using energy in the process.

You have got to the bottom of the issue, overpopulation but for one reason or another this cannot be solved so instead they are trying to work round it but know there is no solution for over population. Personally I would scrap all child benefits, you want kids then pay for them, you buy a car and no one pays towards your fuel cost do they. Then have children connected to your tax code, one has minor impact, two has a bigger impact and three or more puts you into a very high taxation class. This only solves the UK, we do not breed like rabbits as in some countries who are causing bigger issues.

You have got to the bottom of the issue, overpopulation but for one reason or another this cannot be solved
I think it will be solved - by nature - if humans keep proliferating. There will utlmately be a shortage of space, water, food, medicine and many other resources. Mankind will have stripped the planet of all of the goodness - all the carbon storing flora will be gone - oh - and I'm sure there will another virus or two to further control the population.

I agree with your assertion that over-population is a significant problem, and I think that it is women that fundamentally need to address this problem as it is they and they alone who bring new humans on to this planet. Women need to be educated when they are young children to seriously think about the effect of the numbers of children they might bring into the world. This obviously needs to be on a global scale and especially in societies where women typically have large numbers of children.

The days of "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) are over..... may be it should read - "be fruitful and keep the population to a sustainable level". We need to ensure those that are born are fit and strong and hopefully are able to work long into their later years so there might be less reliance on sheer numbers of people.

In fact, it saddens me when you hear about women having multiple births of 4,5,6 or more children and think it's wonderful - given the numbers of starving people on the earth and the current state of the planet and where it may be heading.

It is the ever increasing population levels that are driving demand for more and more resources that are becoming scarcer and scarcer. It is the ever increasing population levels that are causing more and more pollution in our seas, the air that we breathe and the atmosphere that we rely on to keep our planet safe

Population and population control is a female issue - ultimately it is women that are the problem and it is women that are the solution.......

Answers on a postcard please......

I think it will be solved - by nature - if humans keep proliferating. ........
Yes but not in the way you think. Increased reproduction is natures solution to the problem - it increases likelihood of survival of the species when the going gets tough. It's a common strategy throughout the natural world. Good for the species, not good for most of the individual members thereof, but they all die in the end anyway.
This is why reproductive rates are greater in more deprived and unsettled communities. Rates are low to falling in the relatively unstressed and privileged parts.

People in deprived countries are not having children because they think it is only way for the human species to survive, that is nonsense.

I think it will be solved - by nature - if humans keep proliferating. There will utlmately be a shortage of space, water, food, medicine and many other resources. Mankind will have stripped the planet of all of the goodness - all the carbon storing flora will be gone - oh - and I'm sure there will another virus or two to further control the population.

I agree with your assertion that over-population is a significant problem, and I think that it is women that fundamentally need to address this problem as it is they and they alone who bring new humans on to this planet. Women need to be educated when they are young children to seriously think about the effect of the numbers of children they might bring into the world. This obviously needs to be on a global scale and especially in societies where women typically have large numbers of children.

The days of "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) are over..... may be it should read - "be fruitful and keep the population to a sustainable level". We need to ensure those that are born are fit and strong and hopefully are able to work long into their later years so there might be less reliance on sheer numbers of people.

In fact, it saddens me when you hear about women having multiple births of 4,5,6 or more children and think it's wonderful - given the numbers of starving people on the earth and the current state of the planet and where it may be heading.

It is the ever increasing population levels that are driving demand for more and more resources that are becoming scarcer and scarcer. It is the ever increasing population levels that are causing more and more pollution in our seas, the air that we breathe and the atmosphere that we rely on to keep our planet safe

Population and population control is a female issue - ultimately it is women that are the problem and it is women that are the solution.......

Answers on a postcard please......
And yet...
https://www.joe.co.uk/news/texas-of...e-who-turn-in-women-who-want-abortions-280604

Arguably an example - stressed women having babies in spite of not wanting them - because of being stressed and not in control in the first place? The fathers similarly not making "responsible" decisions. Egged on by religious nutters.
But in general it's much simpler - those most able to escape from environmental or political breakdown are more likely to be young, fit and fertile. No coincidence that boat people may include babies, young children, expectant mothers, not a lot of doddery old age pensioners.

Back