Lots of hot air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are confusing two different issues, being poor and overpopulation are not the same thing.
Of course they aren't "the same" but they are closely related. Look at the graphs for the correlation between poverty and population growth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_and_fertility"...In a 1974 United Nations population conference in Bucharest, Karan Singh, a former minister of population in India, illustrated this trend by stating "Development is the best contraceptive."

Of course they aren't "the same" but they are closely related. Look at the graphs for the correlation between poverty and population growth.

I am not denying that poor people have more children, I am saying your reason for them doing so is wrong, it isn't for survival of the species, we are humans, not animals, we can reason these things, no-one is having children because they think the human race is going to become extinct.

I am not denying that poor people have more children, I am saying your reason for them doing so is wrong, it isn't for survival of the species, we are humans, not animals, we can reason these things, no-one is having children because they think the human race is going to become extinct.
True. They don't choose and I didn't say they did. They are driven by biological imperatives stronger than logic and common sense.

Humans are animals. Almost every "this is what distinguishes us from the animals" meme has been invalidated.
Ok, animals don't laugh when one of them farts. That's about it.

True. They don't choose and I didn't say they did. They are driven by biological imperatives stronger than logic and common sense.

No, it's sensible and rational reasons they have children for the most part (some is beyond their control), along with the natural desire everyone has to have children. C'mon mate, even you are better than this, no need to insult poor people by saying they don't know any better, you sound like a 1900's eugenicist.

Sorry, are you saying humans aren't animals? Or do you take some creationist viewpoint that humans are the chosen species, set above all the beasts of the earth and the fowls of the air?
We share something like 40% of our DNA with fruit flies..

None of the religious nonsense, but there is no denying while we may still have some animal urges we are definitely a superior species in almost every regard and we are able to recognise, rationalise and overcome our base instincts.

None of the religious nonsense, but there is no denying while we may still have some animal urges we are definitely a superior species in almost every regard and we are able to recognise, rationalise and overcome our base instincts.
Agreed for the most part, but there is still a great deal we cannot understand, let alone control.

Oh you must be from a different planet then. Welcome to our world!

Oh you must be from a different planet then. Welcome to our world!

C'mon don't sell yourself short, you definitely think you are superior to animals, in fact they way you act on here It seems you think you are superior to everything on this planet.

C'mon don't sell yourself short, you definitely think you are superior to animals, in fact they way you act on here It seems you think you are superior to everything on this planet.
Maybe a bit of a shock but we are 100% animals ourselves.
As far as I know very few other animals are contributing to climate change in the way that we are, or many of the other of the acts of environmental destruction we have performed, so in that respect we are obviously very stupid and suicidal animals.

I'm not the only one trying to explain to you that you are wrong about almost everything!

Abortionists, pro-lifers and the 'Bible Belt' - this is always going to be a battle ground. This underpins the necessity for education and It also raises the question of contraception. In an ideal society both men and women would take responsibility for contraception. The fact is that 'men don't get pregnant - women do' and I think that ultimately it is the absolute responsibility of a woman to ensure that they don't get pregnant, if that is what they want. I say this not because I think that men don't need to bother or that it's a sign of respect for women that men take contraception seriously, but because it's a hard fact that women are all too often 'left holding the baby'.

Then there is the psychological effect that an unwanted pregnancy could have.....but this is a whole other area......and one I'm not qualified to address

My understanding is that higher birth rates in poorer countries is driven by:
  • the expectation that the elderly will be supported by their offspring in the absence of state pensions and benefits
  • high levels of child mortality due to famine, poverty, lack of health care etc which meant that many did not survive to adulthood
Only in recent decades where improved healthcare has benefitted even the very poor have very large families become the norm - children mostly grow and become reproductive adults.

In the now developed world (UK etc) population growth was very low for centuries until the industrial revolution. Improvements to food supplies, housing, heathcare, sewage systems etc etc made child mortality a relative rarity. Birth control became acceptable and affordable.

It clearly takes a few generations for behavioural changes to reflect a new reality - hence much larger Victorian and Edwardian family sizes.

Back