When Will It Be Over?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm referring of course to the incessant rain. and with the rain comes the mud. There is a quagmire in my garden leading up to the workshop and the chicken run, and I spend most of my time in 'wellies' I even keep them on in the workshop as it is a real struggle getting them off.

The mud is getting everywhere. No matter how scrupulous we are. it's finding its way indoors via the dogs. as well as all over the nice, white, back door.

What's more, with the levels of precipitation,, algae has formed over the painted outside walls of the house, turning it from cream to a rather unpleasant green, likewise, the white conservatory.

I know February is just living up to its name but I think I'm ready for a change.

I've found this winter drier than the last. We moved to Devon in Sept 2022 and you could not walk on the grass from Nov to March as it was a water logged bog. This year it has just been very wet and access possible.
Like you our painted outside walls are greening up on the west side of the house so will need a light bleach before I paint them.
One thing that will never change is gutter problems. We have so many trees here that from the end of Sept to early Nov I need to clear them out every day. The metal topped gullies on the driveway also need cleaning out weekly.

Colin

I've found this winter drier than the last. We moved to Devon in Sept 2022 and you could not walk on the grass from Nov to March as it was a water logged bog. This year it has just been very wet and access possible.
Like you our painted outside walls are greening up on the west side of the house so will need a light bleach before I paint them.
One thing that will never change is gutter problems. We have so many trees here that from the end of Sept to early Nov I need to clear them out every day. The metal topped gullies on the driveway also need cleaning out weekly.

Colin
Ah... yes, the joys of bleach. :) We are able to buy large quantities from the local farm shop, who sell it in 25 litre containers for use in cleaning dairies. I do, however, find it quite disconcerting when the algae can turn from green to red after application.o_O

Been a disastrous winter in Aberdeen for rain, I've got wet wall patches where the whole wall and mortar have become water saturated after weeks of endless wet weather and driven rain. Roll on some drier times! The long term impact of climate change for the UK is predicted to be more rainy days, rather than a warmer climate.

PS: Not looking for a conversation/argument/agreement/disagreement on climate change, just if the predictions transpire perhaps I'll head in eribaMotters direction this winter (rainy season) has about broken me.

It seems to be the way that winters have evolved.The rain starts in mid-late September and lets up in March if we are lucky.On the other side of the coin,we don't often get extended cold periods any more.On a brighter note,I saw daffodils flowering on January 19th and an hour or so ago noticed the first primrose of the year.

There are only a few daffs around here in an area where they are usually early. My mother died 1/1/05 and we bought her daffs the week before she died - they were everywhere. I have oregano, mint and lemon balm coming through, though.

We had a hosepipe ban right through last summer's monsoon season. The year before the reservoir was at its lowest level since it was opened ('67) - did they take the opportunity to dredge it? Of course not.

Latest posts

Back