Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little plane (150 mm long, 40 mm wide, 30 mm high).

1714408167378.png

Body is beech, American Black Walnut and brass. Adjuster mechanism is 303 stainless & brass, lever cap is brass, lever cap nut is 303 stainless.

Intended for use on the shooting board that's built into my travel tool chest & workbench:

1714408316771.png

Full build WIP is on my website (along with some photos of it taking shavings): https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork/handtools/toolchest_blockplane/blog/page1

For a better sense of scale, here it is alongside the (also home-made) plane it replaces and a commercial (Quangsheng) low-angle block plane:

1714408399521.png

Today added a "blacksmith- style" hammer rack to the window area, below the brace rack.
View attachment 180231
Is that a Goodell Pratt down the far right hand side ? the shoulder brace part looks similar.

Cant say anything about the others, and sorry I dont share the same addiction :LOL: but i used to have a big old 2 speed i picked up on a job yonks back and its quite a similar frame.

The latest model is a French/Moore trestle. It was around 3 years ago I decided I would be able to complete one of these and I have finally gotten around to it on the course. Not damaging the pointy bits while hand tooling or before glue up was a challenge for me but fortunately the only one i damaged was already on its way to the firewood pile because I had gotten it wrong. Plenty of points to work on but moving in the right direction
PXL_20240424_162806600.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_162837157.jpg
    PXL_20240424_162837157.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240424_162814353.jpg
    PXL_20240424_162814353.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240427_165022104.jpg
    PXL_20240427_165022104.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240424_163049427.jpg
    PXL_20240424_163049427.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240427_165100550.jpg
    PXL_20240427_165100550.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
The latest model is a French/Moore trestle. It was around 3 years ago I decided I would be able to complete one of these and I have finally gotten around to it on the course. Not damaging the pointy bits while hand tooling or before glue up was a challenge for me but fortunately the only one i damaged was already on its way to the firewood pile because I had gotten it wrong. Plenty of points to work on but moving in the right direction
View attachment 180465
Curious, how long did it take to make this trestle? Way above my skills!

View attachment 180465
Hi @Harry581010 ,
Amazing workmanship. Which course enabled to gain the knowledge and skills to complete this project?
Fred

The main difficulty
Curious, how long did it take to make this trestle? Way above my skills!
and time consuming bit is the drawing. I think once the drawing was completed, so just machining to dimensions and then marking and hand tooling all the cuts, it was probably around 4 days work. I could be out by a fair bit with that though because a lot of it is done after work for a few hours at a time

Is that a Goodell Pratt down the far right hand side ? the shoulder brace part looks similar.

Cant say anything about the others, and sorry I dont share the same addiction :LOL: but i used to have a big old 2 speed i picked up on a job yonks back and its quite a similar frame.
Greetings to Glasgow... you have a keen eye! It is a Millers Falls #12, two-speed, with an adjustable handle. I just finished restoring it. It is a solid "keeper", IMO! Thanks...

Greetings to Glasgow... you have a keen eye! It is a Millers Falls #12, two-speed, with an adjustable handle. I just finished restoring it. It is a solid "keeper", IMO! Thanks...
Cant be that keen, i was totally wrong.

Though this is the one, and they are similar in the frame
879.jpg

Years before I owned a pillar drill, i used to make and sell brass pipes(the smoking type) And the only thing I had in the tiny workshop was a few hand drills, the Goodell being the main one I used.

TBH honest i didnt even have a bench or engineers vice and used to hold the brass billets in the hinge side door jamb as i could use one foot to apply the pressure on the door to hold it tight, and both hands on the drill.
Not easy sometimes, trying to drill a 3" long hole with a 2 1/2mm bit.

Theres certainly a lot of history tied up with the wood trades and hand drills. But I think theres always a place for a couple even in the most modern of workshops. I've a couple of old Stanley's hanging up. a brace, which is the best tool for screwing in m12 bolts into stonework where a battery drill would struggle, and a small Stanley 803 which is very handy for small bits.

Glazed cabinet, it's only plain but took longer than I expected to make.

The doors, frames and shelves are Maple and the sides Birch ply, in fact the only bit of MDF I managed to sneak in is the back!

Got to include a photo from the workshop.

glazed dresser 1.jpg

Not quite finished yet as waiting for the glass, some LED lights, knobs and have the skirting to sort. It's about 8'6" high so makes quite a statement.

glazed dresser 2.jpg

I ended up painting it (which I normally try to avoid), paint was Benjamin Moore Scuff-X provided by the customer, seemed like decent stuff but wants to be at £100+ a tin!

Latest posts

Back