Lots of hot air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, it's pretty clear that UKW's covid (denying) experts have now retrained as climate change (denying) experts. Seems to be a pattern that speaks of individual psychologies/ personality traits rather than the issues under discussion. The shame is, it's not possible to have a sensible discussion about the issues as the denials generate so much noise. Fascinating psychologically, but gets nowhere.
Untitled 3.jpg

Mother, should I trust the government?

tumblr_oz3ae9xgD61qay7clo1_500.gif

If only government were honest in their dealings with the people, "experts" could and would be trusted. However all governments lie, about nearly everything. How on earth do you go through life, on the one hand freely accepting that government lies, and on the other accepting expert government opinion as truth? Or do you genuinely believe your government in all things?

Not really, I find foolishness quite irritating. But it is quite interesting to think about how it comes into being.

You fell for the Covid scare, not me. It was obvious it was ridiculous from the start. Covid is spreading regardless of all interventions and stupid stupid modellers. If you think we have done a wonderful job of Covid management that's up to you. Its not even an exceptional disease, but billions have been spent on pretending it is. Also we will never get the freedoms we had back, students have missed two years, a levels have been trashed etc.

I actually think the climate is changing but I don't think it will be case that that it will be catastrophic above and beyond anything else that has been catastrophic in our history, the hockey stick graph was long ago debunked.

Last edited:
.... actually think the climate is changing but I don't think it will be case that that it will be catastrophic above and beyond anything else that has been catastrophic in our history,...
Maybe you should pop along to the COP26 conference and tell them why they are so wrong? They'd be really pleased if your evidence stood up and they could all go home and stop worrying
..., the hockey stick graph was long ago debunked.
No it wasn't.
It was disputed by the usual sceptics but is now refined, reviewed and verified by events so far "....More than two dozen reconstructions, using various statistical methods and combinations of proxy records, support the broad consensus shown in the original 1998 hockey-stick graph, with variations in how flat the pre-20th century "shaft" appears...."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_graph

Mother, should I trust the government?

tumblr_oz3ae9xgD61qay7clo1_500.gif

If only government were honest in their dealings with the people, "experts" could and would be trusted. However all governments lie, about nearly everything. How on earth do you go through life, on the one hand freely accepting that government lies, and on the other accepting expert government opinion as truth? Or do you genuinely believe your government in all things?
I quite enjoy the 'devil's advocate' approach, Tn - in fact, I think it's important for us all to consider alternative accounts. What bothers me is when people latch on to an alternative account of things and bark on about it endlessly as if they've somehow - without having any expertise in the field - divined the truth. I see governments and businesses etc conspire to shape our consciousness and behaviour all the time, and they are enormously successful in that. It's not so tricky to observe how those conspiracies have developed historically if you study them. But that doesn't mean, for example, that the UN IPCC experts who have been sharing their findings are working on behalf of governments to deceive us. Of course, they might be but to convince me of that, you'd need an awful lot of evidence, and certainly not a general statement about govts lying. Not seen the Pink Floyd vid since I was a teenager, made sense then - to a teenage mind.

No they wouldn't, they'd lose their income.:ROFLMAO:
I think thats one of the most weird and improbable sceptic notions - that almost the whole of the scientific community worldwide including university research departments, meteorologists, highly skilled experts in various fields, should set about making the whole thing up, falsifying evidence, as a money making scam.

I am sure many of us can remember the Experts predicting we were about to enter another ice age a good few years ago. That has not yet happened to state the obvious!

We seem to have had less volcanic activity latley, It could be the lack of the ash in the air has allowed a little extra warming?

So, it's pretty clear that UKW's covid (denying) experts have now retrained as climate change (denying) experts. Seems to be a pattern that speaks of individual psychologies/ personality traits rather than the issues under discussion. The shame is, it's not possible to have a sensible discussion about the issues as the denials generate so much noise. Fascinating psychologically, but gets nowhere.
View attachment 115876

Does this mean that those 'Genuinely smart people' who are at the top of the 'smart tree' don't know that they are at the top of the 'smart tree' and waste endless time and energy looking for people smarter than themselves to get answers from.....so who's really smart?

Does this mean that those 'Genuinely smart people' who are at the top of the 'smart tree' don't know that they are at the top of the 'smart tree' and waste endless time and energy looking for people smarter than themselves to get answers from.....so who's really smart?
No, they do masses of research and produce masses of evidence.

I think thats one of the most weird and improbable sceptic notions - that almost the whole of the scientific community worldwide including university research departments, meteorologists, highly skilled experts in various fields, should set about making the whole thing up, falsifying evidence, as a money making scam.

For some it's a money making scam of course, but for many it's simply going along with the consensus because otherwise your funding gets cut. This happens in many areas of science of course, not just climate.

I would say that they produce theoretical evidence which then has to stand up to scrutiny and undergo extensive testing before being accepted as being true based on current knowledge
They certainly do. Though "testing" isn't quite the word - you can't test a forecast, except by waiting to see how it turns out. So far they are turning out as forecast but rather quicker than anticipated..

One thing about climate change, it will affect those who don't believe in it as much as those who do. A sort of reverse Pascal's wager.
It will, of course, affect the rich less than the poor, like most things.
Out here in Des Moines WA, the temperature is unpleasantly high in an area that is usually comparable to the UK weather-wise, and in Spokane WA the smoke from wildfires was worse than I've seen in 20 years.
Only anecdotal, I know...

One thing about climate change, it will affect those who don't believe in it as much as those who do. A sort of reverse Pascal's wager.
It will, of course, affect the rich less than the poor, like most things.
Out here in Des Moines WA, the temperature is unpleasantly high in an area that is usually comparable to the UK weather-wise, and in Spokane WA the smoke from wildfires was worse than I've seen in 20 years.
Only anecdotal, I know...

We had a hot july and currently have a cold august in the UK.

Amount of rainfall over 12 months in the UK has changed very little in 100 years. Potentially we have heavier storms some times but lets not pretend that never happened in the past.

Last edited:
Back