Lots of hot air

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wikipedia and New Scientist are better links than the Mail or the loony site in your earlier posts
Science is built on scepticism and doubt and endlessly scrutinised. Wikipedia and other sources go to great lengths to verify their content.
Those who "cheat, lie and change their facts ..... but they smugly claim to have the sole repository of all knowledge" are to be found in religion, politics, cults, and "alternative" science; non-science, or "nonsense" for short.
That being said, I quite agree that I should have paid more attention and put up the New Scientist link instead - can't argue with New Scientist, now, can you.
Exactly.
The various changes over the holocene are all known about and incorporated into the overall picture. You haven't found anomalies which have been ignored by the science.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the evidence for the Roman warm period didn't come from the Romans themselves :unsure:
I don't know and neither do you. But either way it makes no difference to the overall picture.
In fact land clearance itself does increase temperatures so the Romans may well have contributed, by farming sheep and goats. Forests absorb massive amounts of solar energy, grassland does not.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...ahara-desert-green-oasis-wasteland-180962668/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58208792

Last edited:
That site is complete drivel from the very first paragraph:

" Our Earth is warming. Earth's average temperature has risen by 1.5°F over the past century, and is projected to rise another 0.5 to 8.6°F over the next hundred years"

From your post 30 in this thread as below. Discussing how this planet may have changed in the last few years is far too short a time scale to be relevant IMHO.

Why not read some of the information coming out, find some answers instead of trying to work it all out for yourself?

Climate Change: Basic Information | Climate Change | US EPA

19january2017snapshot.epa.gov

Anecdotally, my neighbours Grandad reckoned all the black covering the tidal rocks near here only became black around WW2 because of all the oil from sunk ships. Still above water.

I have tried to search for ports which have had to be modified due to all this sea level rising but all that comes up is future dire predictions. I would have thought there would already have had to be massive and widespread modification going on?

Anecdotally, my neighbours Grandad reckoned all the black covering the tidal rocks near here only became black around WW2 because of all the oil from sunk ships. Still above water.

I have tried to search for ports which have had to be modified due to all this sea level rising but all that comes up is future dire predictions. I would have thought there would already have had to be massive and widespread modification going on?
Since 1993 global sea level rise has been 6 to 8 inches according to Nasa How long have sea levels been rising? How does recent sea level rise compare to that over the previous centuries? – NASA Sea Level Change Portal.
That's nothing for most tidal ports compared to rise and fall of tides which is much greater - up to 40ft and more in some places.
But the picture is very different for low lying areas which are much more vulnerable
Look at Holland. Low lying places are the first to react obviously. They are spending millions in anticipation of sea level rise and the much bigger problem of increased rainfall bringing more water down the Rhine etc. When will the Netherlands disappear?
Or look at Wales ‘This is a wake-up call’: the villagers who could be Britain’s first climate refugees
n.b. blackened rocks - they were a big feature after the Torry Canyon and other oil spills. No doubt WW2 had similar effect!

Last edited:
Those who "cheat, lie and change their facts ..... but they smugly claim to have the sole repository of all knowledge" are to be found in religion, politics, cults, and "alternative" science; non-science, or "nonsense". And on UK Workshops with over 19,000 posts.
Corrected that for you.

" Our Earth is warming. Earth's average temperature has risen by 1.5°F over the past century, and is projected to rise another 0.5 to 8.6°F over the next hundred years"

From your post 30 in this thread as below. Discussing how this planet may have changed in the last few years is far too short a time scale to be relevant IMHO.

Why not read some of the information coming out, find some answers instead of trying to work it all out for yourself?

Climate Change: Basic Information | Climate Change | US EPA

You are aware that the US EPA's website was taken off line at the start of Trumps term and the original NOAA and EPA information was removed and replaced by information supplied by various Fossil Fuel companies and their paid researchers at the behest of the then new head of the EPA who was in fact the ex CEO of an oil company. The damage done to its abilities and reputation are only now starting to be reversed

That being said, I quite agree that I should have paid more attention and put up the New Scientist link instead - can't argue with New Scientist, now, can you

you are an unpleasant troll.

your first link claimed a warmer period in Roman times proves climate change is untrue.

thenew scientist link also shows a warmer period in Roman times but does NOT make the claim that climate change is untrue.

What is your motivation for your dishonest posts?

This is a pretty sensible interview and kind of reflects my thinking on it all:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/08/13/climate-change-is-real-but-its-not-the-apocalypse/
The hysterics on here would do well to read it

Thank you for proving my point: Fossil fuel interests fund websites that conveniently post articles that are climate change sceptic.

and here we have it:
” Funding. A joint investigation between DeSmog UK and The Guardian revealed that Spiked US Inc. received funding from the Charles Koch Foundation”

Charles Koch foundation = funded by fossil fuels

You are aware that the US EPA's website was taken off line at the start of Trumps term and the original NOAA and EPA information was removed and replaced by information supplied by various Fossil Fuel companies and their paid researchers at the behest of the then new head of the EPA who was in fact the ex CEO of an oil company. The damage done to its abilities and reputation are only now starting to be reversed

Trump has created a new era:a post truth era

Corrected that for you.
Yes it is a lot of posts but nowhere near the top! Hope you have read them all. :LOL:
I don't think I've cheated, lied and changed facts, or claim to have the sole repository of all knowledge. Made mistakes no doubt, got things wrong.
It's a finding out process for me - having to look things up and check out the facts, as with this thread - some very interesting stuff turning up.
PS just noticed - you are not doing too badly yourself with over 4k posts, though I can't recall any of them being very interesting or useful.

Last edited:
Thank you for proving my point: Fossil fuel interests fund websites that conveniently post articles that are climate change sceptic.

and here we have it:
” Funding. A joint investigation between DeSmog UK and The Guardian revealed that Spiked US Inc. received funding from the Charles Koch Foundation”

I didn't know that but had my suspicions. There was something so very cautious in the article, no direct untruths just claims of over reaction and persuasion not to worry etc. Soft soap propaganda.

@Jacob I give you my hearty congratulations mate, given the number of times you've had your UKW activities shall we say curtailed over the last 12 years, that is a truly impressive number of posts. Well done here's a round of 👏

you are an unpleasant troll.

your first link claimed a warmer period in Roman times proves climate change is untrue.

thenew scientist link also shows a warmer period in Roman times but does NOT make the claim that climate change is untrue.

What is your motivation for your dishonest posts?
Not dishonest just confused IMHO. CC is a complicated issue and not simply either/or, which is not good enough for many. It's also hypothetical, until the evidence rolls in, as it is doing.

Last edited:
If you are of the opinion that CO2 levels have risen because of human activity, you can proudly point to the fact that plants do much, much better with high levels of CO2. There has been a significant, measurable greening of the entire planet over the last 50 years, due to an increase in CO2 in the atmosphere. Below 180 ppm all photosynthesis stops, with predictably dire consequences for most life on the planet. Plants actually do best at about 1,200ppm. Well done you for keeping the planet alive.

According to the Lancet, half a million people die globally from excess heat, but 4.5 million from cold. The assumption is that global warming saves 166,000 lives per year, and rising. Given that we want to reduce CO2, who do we nominate to die?
Note that climate change will also cause extreme cold in places that arn't used to it such as Texas last year as the circulation of the jet stream around the pole weakens cold polar air will leak south more frequently. As global temperatures continue to rise, 5c would be the trajectory is nothing is done, then extremes of cold hot and violent storms will also take their toll, so its hard to do a deaths or lives balance with any predictability.

and here we have it:

The guy isn't sceptic. He's saying it is happening however the media is getting hysterical about it and frightening people with scenario's that seem highly unlikely to evolve.

Latest posts

Back