Table saw views….

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywoon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, long time forum lurker here, haven’t posted too much but have learned a lot from the content here.

I’m looking to upgrade my table saw and was looking at the AXMINSTER PROFESSIONAL AP254LTS TABLE SAW - 230V. I noticed Axminster have updated the availability to state "This product is no longer available online or by phone. Unfortunately we are unlikely to receive any more stock."

I assumed this might indicate the arrival of an updated model so I dropped Axminster an enquiry today to ask if that was the case and if there were any timescales they could provide. My assumption was wrong as the reply indicated they had no alternative due in stock anytime soon and the only alternative they could recommend was a 16amp version which doesn’t meet my needs as I don’t have a 16amp supply. Not sure if they have supply issues or a change in sale strategy……

I know not all share this opinion but for a bloke like me in his home workshop I’ve usually been happy with Axminster products and service. I’ve now started looking further afield and have checked out the Laguna fusion 2 table but I was surprised when watching reviews on YouTube to see the flex at the far side of the fence. Also wasn’t sure about the robustness of the support of the overhead pipe supplying the extraction around the blade guard area.

So my question is two-fold if anyone could be kind enough to advise. If you have a Laguna, is it worth my cash or should I be looking elsewhere?

To give some context, I’m not a professional and I’m not considering buying used (just my preference). I’m a generalist who does a lot of lathe work, I make exterior furniture (garden seats, planters etc) and the odd bit of home furniture (book cases, tables and the like). I’m looking for something reliable and accurate around the 2 to 2.5k price point and it has to be something I can plug into a standard uk plug.

Hopefully the detail I’ve provided helps with my ask but if I need to provide more information then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Laguna F3 in my shop, and can't fault it, not familiar with the F2 other than it has a smaller motor so fits with your 13A connection.

Fence on the F3 is solid, but as you say the DE connection, on both, is just a hose connected back to the main one on the side of the case, I have modified mine
so its connected to a separate vac, a bandsaw is another option that may be worth considering.

I’ve just bought a DeWalt 7485 site table saw - reason being the excellent (and stable, no flex ) fence.

It is meant as a site saw, but by building a cart with in and out feed tables, it becomes and excellent saw for the workshop (110 or 240v single phase).

The fence also extends to just over 2ft allowing u to rip whole sheets of ply.

Cost new about £500, and there is an even bigger version at about £1k.

I’d highly recommend

Thank you for the suggestion - I should have explained I'm upgrading from a BOSCH GTS 10 XC table saw (similar to the DeWalt suggested).

I bought an Axminster AT254SB several years ago. Very, very accurate, can cut three inch's with no problem, solid, no vibration, low noise, couldn't be happier. Other than dust collection which I modified and is now as good as it's going to get. It is 16Amp, but it doesn't take much to make the connection.

I noticed they stopped selling this saw a year or two ago. Shame as it is an excellent piece of machinery, in my opinion.

I too have noticed a drop in Axminster offerings and support. They used to have six or seven different table saws (yes, I know, inventory costs and all that) but today they have more Bosch products than their own. I needed a couple of plastic bits for a band saw, was told it would be six months!

I too have a Laguna F3 but fail to see what the big issue is about getting a 16amp outlet installed.. I didn’t have one either but an mcb , a socket and an electrician to install them shouldn’t cost you much over a £100, at least they didn’t in my case.

I too have a Laguna F3 but fail to see what the big issue is about getting a 16amp outlet installed.. I didn’t have one either but an mcb , a socket and an electrician to install them shouldn’t cost you much over a £100, at least they didn’t in my case.
I didnt say getting a 16amp outlet was a big issue, I just dont have one currently and have no plans to put one in. Thanks for the information on costs though, useful to know.

Back