Losing weight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure what you tried to say, but if I were to venture an opinion it would be that the poor and unemployed in the UK have so little money they can't afford to get fat.

I don't really have a major issue with my weight but could lose a little.

For me what seems to work is controlling things at the point of buying them. If you don't buy it and take it home its not there to tempt you. I still let myself have some treats, but i'm trying not to buy multipacks, even if its more expensive to buy individually.

My favourite healthy meals at the moment are tuna steaks with vegetable salad, usually some crushed almonds and dressing. Vegitable omlette is the other, I have some grated cheese on that but not a crazy amount. For breakfast I mostly have a museli, nice with hot milk.

The Guardian article is interesting but doesn't really tell us much. We need a large scale population study for that. Anecdotally, if I try to correlate weight versus perceived intelligence in people I know come across, I struggle to think of any well educated people who are grossly obese. Poverty / intelligence / social class quite possibly do make a difference.

DennisCA":35tx219t said:
I am not sure what you tried to say, but if I were to venture an opinion it would be that the poor and unemployed in the UK have so little money they can't afford to get fat.

I can see why you might come to that conclusion.Sadly though, while true for the ultra poor, its not so for those who are doing ok but not really wealthy. For those folk, who are the mainstay of our societyand domost of the tough jobs, they can afford enough food, but not the higher price stuff. The higher price stuff is the fresh fruit & veg and lower fat premium meat/fish.

It might be just a thing this year, biut even my wife and I (and we are comfortably retired on good pensions) are appalled at the price of fruit and veg ...it's a genuine scandal..our health being held hostage by supermarkets for the benefit of supermarket bosses pay and shareholder dividends :(

Back