Looking for advice for a shop vac / extractor for Makita LS1219L?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confussed_chippy

Reaction score
I am looking to get a Makita LS1219L for my workshop and wanted to get a dedicate shop vac / extractor to go along with a top budget of £400ish. I don't have any knowledge about extractors so would love some advice.

The usual suspects are the festool and nilfisk models.
Festool CTL midi is what I plan to get once I have the cash, which is about right for your budget and intended use. It is quiet, compact, filters well and has a Bluetooth remote. Ticks all my boxes.

All these things are best when used with a cyclone and barrel; factor in another £100 for that.

Martin

Read and inwardly digest this post: A guide to dust extraction by member siggy_7

I have a Makita cross cut saw and had to modify the extraction port to make it work properly, widening and extending it downwards with a bit of DPC and hot glue.

I am not an advocate of the cyclone trend, the point of extraction is to get away from the dust, because a cyclone uses negative pressure it is almost impossible to use a bag inside the barrel, therefore you have to empty the barrel and expose yourself to all the dust you have so dutifully collected, it seems to be a solution looking for a problem, moving one problem into another.
DSC01419.jpeg

Last edited:
I use a Numatic George in the workshop, twin motor vacuum very very effective small children passing the workshop beware, I also have a Karcher vacuum to use inside the house very convenient with its power take off switching on with the machine and running for a few seconds after switching off to clear the hose.

Just looked up the Numatic George, seems it does not have twin motors anymore, but has a "TwinFlo professional two stage motor" which is only a single motor, so don't know if it will be as effective as my older twin motor version.

Last edited:
If the extractor is just going to be dedicated to the mitre saw and stuck under a bench in the workshop I would save some money and just get a standard type shop vac with power take off. You can pick something up from Screwfix or even Lidl for probably £70, might be a bit rough round the edges but will do what you need. The Festool vacs are fantastic but the features you pay more for are wasted if it's just stuck under a bench.

Latest posts

Back