Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First one I made of these got bought as a wedding present. SWMBO told me to make another on so I did. Not so keen on this one, looks better with a smaller candle section IMHO

Pete

Now I like that idea,Pete - nice looking candle holder :D
Better design than a lot I have seen.

Andrew

Paul.J":spizyvqr said:
Nice one Pete.
What timber have you used.Looks nice.
Paul.J.

It's off a planked piece of wood that I was given. Someone told me that it was beech but I'm not sure. Must take a course in wood identification :lol:
It's a pale wood with a strong wide grain but very hard. Almost pine like to look at but very different to work. Finishes easily with a shine straight from the tool.
Both pictures are from the same plank and the second one is nearer the real colouring. If anyon can ID it I'd be grateful

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
If anyon can ID it I'd be grateful
Pete i think wood I.D is almost impossible,for some timbers.
I was asked to to make some bookcases once to match this chaps existing ones,he said that they were Oak,English Oak.
I thought they weren't so went to a timber merchants with a sample that he had,and i got four different answers.None were Oak.
Also then asked someone who had been a carpenter all his life(no not Richard) :D and he said it was something completely different.So that was five different timbers :roll:
It's the same on here you ask for some timber I.D and you get varying opinions.
In your case there are Pines that are really hard,so a Pine it could be :?: :?:
Sorry this don't help.
Paul.J.

As usual not sure what wood it is. 9" tall candlestick based on a poppy seedhead. Rings didn't come out too clean on the inside. Need to work on them by hand if anyone decides they want it.
Cut the stem as per Chas's advice. Thanks Chas, bit nerve racking but it worked.

poppyheadcandle.jpg

Pete

Bodrighy":2er8vi5f said:
Cut the stem as per Chas's advice. Thanks Chas, bit nerve racking but it worked.
Pete

Just passing on the recognized method of working Pete; spend enough time on "that dammed computer" as TLOML puts it, or nose stuck in books and you pick up these tips and methods.

Well done on the execution of the long stem but I'm a bit bothered about the "Top Heavy" balance of the holder with that size candle in it, I think a broader base would be safer.

Can you marry it to a wider disc of similar wood?

Looks like it might be Oak or maybe Ash.

CHJ":20v4gxgq said:
Bodrighy":20v4gxgq said:
Pete

Well done on the execution of the long stem but I'm a bit bothered about the "Top Heavy" balance of the holder with that size candle in it, I think a broader base would be safer.

Can you marry it to a wider disc of similar wood?

Looks like it might be Oak or maybe Ash.

I was working to the maximum dimensions of the piece of wood so couldn't make the base any bigger at the time. The candle just happenned to be one that was available. You are right tho' looking at it again now. I'll hve a look in my scrap bin and see what I have got.

Keep the tips coming. Living 25 miles from the nearest club I welcome all the advice I can get from you guys.

Pete

Hi Pete.

Long stems lookin' good, I agree the figure looks like oak, but as with computer screens they all look a bit different, so I state that with tongue in cheek. :lol:

One other comment to go with the larger base, I think you need some sort of wax collector beneath the head. I know you said you were working to the size of the timber, but if that candle starts to run there could be an awful mess. Or you could turn a small dish for it to stand in of course.

A few more from the scrap bin.

Square bowl, 3" across unknown wood (as usual) Knot through the wood so initially rejected it.
squbowl.jpg

Tea light holder. 21/2" across. Again unknown wood
tlight.jpg

Deep bowl in beech, 3" across, 3" deep. This one split when I went too thin and I glued it together upside down (the line around the bottom)
beechbowl.jpg

Hi Pete,
A comment about the last item (the glue up), I know you are just using these pieces to gain confidence and technique in tool use, but I think your learning curve could benefit from taking a little more time out to eliminate the tooling marks, I know it can be difficult and if all else fails hand sanding with the grain can take considerable time which may feel a waste on 'trial pieces' but I found that the time spent pays dividends latter on in appreciating what is the best fix on more exotic pieces.

Although I often quote that applying a wipe of sanding sealer and paste wax is a matter of a couple of minutes, there are times when I spend longer getting to that final 'sealing' stage on a small area of a bowl than actually turning the form.

Shape and form are down to personal preferences, but a blemish free finish is universal.

Keep them coming, one of these days that big tree up the road you have been coveting may just fall your way.

Thanks Chas, I must confess, I hadn't even noticed the tool marks until you mentioned it. I was concentrating too hard on getting it as thin as possible and making the join look OK and didn't really look inside. I might put it back on and see what I can do with it. Have to be careful though as it really is thin (by my standards anyway)

Pete

Pete, I would be tempted to hand sand with the grain rather than trying to re-mount. It is more than possible that it has moved since you finished it and getting it to run true enough to risk touching such a thin piece with a tool is rather doubtful.

CHJ":3e3q2pvg said:
Pete, I would be tempted to hand sand with the grain rather than trying to re-mount. It is more than possible that it has moved since you finished it and getting it to run true enough to risk touching such a thin piece with a tool is rather doubtful.

Good point Chas, however I was thinking more in terms of remounting to hand sand (as opposed to power). It's only just over a mil thick so I wouldn't dare put a tool to it again. It should be pretty dry as I turned it initially about a month ago and glued and returned it yesterday. It had distorted a little but it was a dry offcut from a carpenter friend so it wasn't too bad.

Pete

Latest posts

Back