Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One simple bowl. 3 1/2" deep, 9" dia. Think it's some knd of pine but not too sure, hard but stroppy end grain. Distinctive smell.

Pete

These things seem to be popular. This is the third one that I have been asked to make. This one is being used to display gemstones and polished stones.

Three little scrap turnings. I can see Grahams attraction to turning little things. There's something fulfilling in making these wee ones.

All from wood from the woods.

2 1/2" high, weed pot.

3" experimental vase

this one is huge, all of 7" tall but only 1 1/2" dia. too small to make a base so that was made seperately fom a triangular offcut. Think the vase was a piece of hazel but not sure.
This one was interesting as it revealed worm holes after cutting into the wood. Cleaned out they are really neat as though cut by machine. Clever little beasties aren't they?

Pete

Welcome to the world of small and miniature.. you're half way there Pete 8)

Next thing you know you'll be trying to see just how small you can get before it disappears into the shavings :lol:

Luv the rustic vase :wink:

Nice work Pete, and if you stay with small the cost of timber is a lot less. :lol:

TEP":2pgpnkmx said:
Nice work Pete, and if you stay with small the cost of timber is a lot less. :lol:

It would be except I haven't bought a single piece of wood yet. I only use found, recycled or donated wood. A few more trips to Yandles and I may succumb but not yet. I have a shed full of wood drying out, just never really know what wood it is so each piece is a learning experiuence

Pete

Can't do too much on a lathe that only runs at full speed, limited to small, reasonably well balanced pieces, but managed to turn this from a green branch. Interesting to see if it warps.

6" high 2" dia bowl. Unknown wood (as usual) possibly hazel.

Very nice Pete. :D
As usual no clue here either as to the wood :?
How did you find posting from freeshare Pete.I tried and it kept saying file was more than too big :shock: .So used PB.
Paul.J.

Hi Paul,

I always shrink my images in Photoshop prior to uploading them. There is also some kind of limit on Freeshare regarding total upload so it might be worth checking how much you already have up there

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
There is also some kind of limit on Freeshare regarding total upload
Pete.How do you check.
I've looked on their but can't see anything to tell you :?
I also crop the piccys in Adobe,and use the lowest resolution on my camera,1m pixels. :?
Paul.J.

Paul.J":37aacrry said:
Bodrighy wrote
There is also some kind of limit on Freeshare regarding total upload
Pete.How do you check.
I've looked on their but can't see anything to tell you :?
I also crop the piccys in Adobe,and use the lowest resolution on my camera,1m pixels. :?
Paul.J.

Your photos are all well under the 1.5 mb limit for uploading so I don't know why you should have a problem there. Are you registered with them? It's free and if not may be the reason.

Pete

Had a busy weekend using up some dried out wood from the undergrowth and rescuing some that had split. Not to everyone's taste I know and the photos don't do the pieces justice but for what it's worth here they are

Very spalted twig pot, looks almost as though someone had been throwing ink at ir. 4" tall, 2" dia

Spalted vase, 7" tall 2" dia Had bark inclusion which shot past my shoulder so adapted the design

Spalted night light. 3" tall 2" dia

This was an urn that I made a few weeks ago. Turned it green but it split. Very brittle wood. Top shattered so again adapted design. 9" tall 4" dia at widest

Very spalted pot. Now in use holding pencils by SWMBO 3 1/2" tall 1 1?2" dia, hazel

Told this was a piece of beech, not sure. 6" dia

Most of these were a pig to sand and had to be done by hand. Pics don't show it but the finish was good, took advice and really worked hard to get it right.

Comments welcome. As always don't know all the wood.

Pete

Nice to see you've been busy - I really like the urn :D ; shape looks great,regardless of if it was planned or not.

Bodrighy":28f20yb1 said:
Had bark inclusion which shot past my shoulder so adapted the design
:lol: :lol:

Nice to see your design parameters are flexible,and glad the airborne bit missed you. :wink:

Andrew

Your rustic collection grows Pete, although hand sanding can take as long as the turning the results are usually more than worth it.

Don't know that I would try turning some of those those at full speed myself 8-[

Back