Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very nice :D (although it must have been "pleasantly challenging" with all those sticky-out bits )

Well done =D>

Andrew

Nice looking piece their Pete.
How did you manage do it.Looks tricky to me.
Looks like you've got a good finish on it too :? :?
Well done.
Paul.J.

Paul.J":2vl09dnz said:
Nice looking piece their Pete.
How did you manage do it.Looks tricky to me.
Looks like you've got a good finish on it too :? :?
Well done.
Paul.J.

Strangely enough it wasn't too difficult. I ran the wood slow as it was so unbalanced and the worm screw wasn't holding too well. I was supported with the tailstock. I used a huge bowl gouge (it's about 3' longand has great leverage) to turn the outside, working at the ghost and stopping frequently to view the progress. Inside I used a smaller bowl gouge and kept it shallow as there was a load of spalting showing that I wanted to keep and I wasn't sure that it went right through.
I kept the tail stock up digging it out and then parted off and cleaned up the nub in the bottom with a sharp chisel.

I hand sealed it and then waxed it going over it with an old shoe brush. Tissue just ripped up even by hand. Most of the bark stayed on and polished up as well as the wood. It's a hard wood and the finish from the tools was pretty good as I have started being able to sharpen them a bit better. Less dust as well.

Must admit to being quite pleased with it. Usually I see nothing but the faults. More importantly, SWMBO thinks it's great so it keeps me in her good books. She wants to keep this one. :lol:

Pete

Bodrighy":2i90emy6 said:
...snip...
More importantly, SWMBO thinks it's great so it keeps me in her good books. She wants to keep this one. :lol:
Pete

Always a good sign that you are on the right track :lol:

Well done for tackling such an awkward piece, and sorting out a method that worked.

This turned out really well. First piece I am actually satisfied with. Goodness knows what wood it is, a branch from the woods....3" tall
twigpot2.jpg
twigpot.jpg

Just another bowl.
irokobowl.jpg
irokobowl1.jpg

Pete

Couple of nice pieces,Pete - particularly like the little vase (nice shape,nice proportions) :D

Andrew

Managed to get some time on the lathe at last. Spent my fornight off surrounded by grandkids or on the road between Exmoor & Cornwall. Best laid plans etc.... :cry:

elmtray.jpg

This is 14" across and thinner than I meant due to a dig, hence the unplanned channel in the bottom. Made from the seat of an old elm chair.

Something a bit different, started as an ordinary bowl but ended up with this. Bit more credit with SWMBO who likes it a lot. Didn't know what to do with it so she put a candle in the middle and pot pourri around the edge

pocandle.jpg
pocandle2.jpg

Not sure about the wood, very hard. 8" across 3" high. Had a couple of splits which I filled with superglue and sawdust. Seems to have worked.

This is apple, about 3" across & high
applepot.jpg

Sort of natural edge but had to take the bark off as some came loose.

Another one in apple roughly the same size .
applepot2.jpg

Small piece (2" tall) spalted silver birch from the woods.
twigpot3.jpg

Yes it is leaning a bit. I need to level the bottom off as it wasn't a very clean parting off.

Criticisisms welcome but be gentle :lol:
Pete

Resplendent Rustics, swmbo happy, your happy, bank balance non the worse off, mission accomplished.

The pot pourri gets my personal vote, pippin the apple pot to a close second.

Pippin...?

Do you have any idea what wood the pot pourri thingy is? It has a very distinctive smell and the end grain is awkward to finish. Thought at first it was beech but the grain seems too heavy....
I was given a nice big plank about 3" thick and 5' long. It splits very quickly as it dries but hopefully I have stopped it.
I have trouble telling the woods unless the leaves are still on them.

Pete

Like em all Pete :D
That apple looks nice wood to turn :?:
No idea what the wood is,got some pieces here still don't know what any are :?
Paul.J.

Hi Paul, Yeah, I found apple a dream to turn. Fortunately I have access to a load of prunings from an orchard so I should be able to get some more small pieces soon. I'll have to try and think of small things to make...minature bowls, tiiwg pots, was finking of trying a couple of those watches like what Old Soke dun.

Pete

Hi Pete.

Like your stuff, but if I had to choose the pot pourri bowl gets my vote.

You mentioned having a problem parting off the grass pot. If you have a old 1/2" firmer chisel grind the end into a parting tool shape, but angle the grind on one side as if you were grinding a skew onto the small cutting tip. You should end up with one short/one long edge on the cutting tip.

You can then part off with the slightly longer edge against the base of the piece and you should find it cuts a lot cleaner. Also you should always undercut the base slightly. It saves a lot on finish sanding.

Hope this helps! :)

TEP":2rm1ozlb said:
Hi Pete.

Like your stuff, but if I had to choose the pot pourri bowl gets my vote.

You mentioned having a problem parting off the grass pot. If you have a old 1/2" firmer chisel grind the end into a parting tool shape, but angle the grind on one side as if you were grinding a skew onto the small cutting tip. You should end up with one short/one long edge on the cutting tip.

You can then part off with the slightly longer edge against the base of the piece and you should find it cuts a lot cleaner. Also you should always undercut the base slightly. It saves a lot on finish sanding.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks Tam...the tip about making my own is something to look into. The problem I had was that I had this pot on a spigot and it was so short that I had trouble getting into it without hitting the chuck. Normal wood chisels tend to be narrower so it would be worth having a go at that

Pete

One very tall egg cup :whistle:
eggcup.jpg
eggcup2.jpg

OK...OK...so it's meant to be a goblet but my grandson thinks it's an egg cup and I must admit, shape wise he's right.

Old mahogany door frame, 7" tall
(the 'egg cup' not the door frame....don't dolls houses yet)

I was focussing on getting the bowl thin (1 mil) and a nice thin stem. Chickened out on the stem when it started bending even with a very light cut with a sharp scraper. How on earth some of you guys get them so thin is beyond me :mrgreen: :lol:

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just a follow on from my last, if you are that close to the chuck jaws use a thin parting tool. Or as I do a converted machine hacksaw blade, 30mm H x 1.5mm thick 325mm long, £2 each at the local flea market. Works a treat, and you can buy 6 or 7 for the price of one fancy wooden handled one. Not that you'll ever need that many. :D

TEP":3flzya82 said:
Hi Pete,

Just a follow on from my last, if you are that close to the chuck jaws use a thin parting tool. Or as I do a converted machine hacksaw blade, 30mm H x 1.5mm thick 325mm long,

I remember reading about that somewhere else, I would have thought that the blade would be too whippy. How long do you have the blade and I presume that you put it into some type of handle beore using? I did look at the knife style parting tools but until now have managed OK with the ones that I have got.

Now that I have started doing small pieces (raiding the scrap bin) I could do with some smaller tools so have started making them from some carbon gouges etc I was given.

Pete

Bodrighy":7scnumhi said:
...snip...
I was focussing on getting the bowl thin (1 mil) and a nice thin stem. Chickened out on the stem when it started bending even with a very light cut

Pete: Don't know what your method is but do not try to thin the stem back all in one piece/length.
Reduce the diameter at the cup end only, then work slowly back towards the base progressively removing wood in stages always leaving as much support at the base end as possible.

If the weight distribution in the cup still starts to cause out of balance wobble then lightly support the cup with the tailstock, using a piece of plastic foam or wooden plug, or if you have a revolving centre a wooden cone placed over the centre point to locate the cup.

Nice egg cup Pete.
That will stop you bending forward :D

Bodrighy wrote
I would have thought that the blade would be too whippy.
Pete i think Tam means the bigger thicker hacksaw blades that are used on machines.These are quite stiff.
You can get a good sharp edge on these,though i haven't used them for turning but might give em a go now.
Hope this helps.
Paul.J.

Back