Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dug in my scrap bag and found little bit of monogamy. Made ths little mini bowl and learnt three new lessons.

minibowl.jpg

minibowl2.jpg

1. If you have only got a small diameter and are using a recess to hold the turning on the lathe be careful tightening the chuck or it will split the wood.
2. If you put wax polish on at high speed it melts into the wood and changes the colour.

3. Little things are harder to make than big things.

Pete

Good to see you're getting adventurous Pete... nice work :wink:

Bodrighy":2wfvooyg said:
Little things are harder to make than big things.

Pete

Oh no they're not :lol: they're much quicker... makes wood go further :p

Pete.
You're throwing bits of Monogamy like that away :!: :!:
Where about in Exmoor do you live.Oh no don't bother if the postie can't find you i won't :wink:
Nice little job :)
Paul.J.

Paul.J":13rya9dn said:
Pete.
You're throwing bits of Monogamy like that away :!: :!:
Where about in Exmoor do you live.Oh no don't bother if the postie can't find you i won't :wink:
Nice little job :)
Paul.J.

The nearest town of any size is Minehead, 8 miles away. My hamlet is called Treborough

Got fed up making bowls

kbowl1.jpg

kbowl2-1.jpg

bowl11.jpg

bowl12.jpg

5" dia. 2" deep. Managed to get them quite thin, wood unknown.

so had a look at a really rotten piece of wood and found a toadstool in it
toadstool.jpg

8" tall,

Toadstool is a piece I found in the woods buried under a load of leaves. Really rotten but had fun doing it.

Pete

looks a bit like sapele/iroko...hard to tell with tungsten lighting...

I like the rustic mushroom, I have one in my collection made from a partially rotted piece of false acacia from a tree in my garden... same tree has just had it's bi-annual trim and yeilded some branch wood around 60mm dia... looks a bit plain though...

oldsoke":1229atp3 said:
looks a bit like sapele/iroko...hard to tell with tungsten lighting...

Someone else thought it might be iroko, strange stuff, every turning looks a bit different although it's all from a single plank, grains the same but the coulour varies quite a bit.

I must admit I like the mushroom, probably look differently at rotten wood from now on, plenty in the woods around here.

Pete

Nice work,Pete - I've made a couple of mushrooms,but so far only used yew branchwood (I like the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood)

Andrew

Nice work again Pete.
Have you noticed any difference using your new tools.
Like the mushroom.
I bet your a fun-gi to have around. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry.
Paul.J.

Paul.J":gmo4f0j0 said:
Nice work again Pete.
Have you noticed any difference using your new tools.
Like the mushroom.
I bet your a fun-gi to have around. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sorry.
Paul.J.

Moss definitely to both.

Tools have made a huge difference. Also gives me a chance to look again at my old ones and try and regrind them to suit. Got a skew I have reground to use to make dovetails for espansion fits. Works a treat.

Pete

Not had much chance to do any turning lately, visitors all the time. Had a go tonight and did this, last of the plank of (possible) Iroko.
SWMBO wanted a container for bits and bobs so she got this.
Going to try and make a finial from some antler I've got to go in the hole in the top.

3xbox.jpg

3xboxsplit.jpg

Nice piece,Pete - three piece turning,what a nice idea (guess you could just keep making more and stacking them up,if you had any matching timber left )
So I take it the hole in the lid is part of the design this time ? :wink:

Andrew

Holes in the lid are deliberate, it's holes in the bottom and sides that are unintended. I'll have to start doing some voided work and then I can incorporate the holes into the design :lol:

Pete

Not strictly 'no holes' there's one in the bottom that I have to fill later. Wood was really funny shape so I had to use a worm screw to hold it with the tail brought up. Just as well, the screw worked loose

About 8" across, 5" high. Dense, really hard wood

My sharpning techniques are improving otherwise I could not have done this, it is a wooden crotch, not sure what wood, with branches sticking out all over the place so was full of knots

naturaledgebowl.jpg

naturaledgebowl2.jpg

naturaledgebowl3.jpg

naturaledgebowl1.jpg

Most of the sanding and polishing had to be done switched off. too many bits sticking out.

Pete

Back