Joke Thread III

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did yesterday and it has not been deleted, perhaps if others report it also it will be taken down.

I did yesterday and it has not been deleted, perhaps if others report it also it will be taken down.

Although all reports are read by the Team, not every reported post is actionable. If we reacted to every reported post or thread by removing them, then we would be much busier and would likely prohibit the Joke threads as a precaution that one person might be offended.

If a member reports a post or thread and doesn't notice any action taken in a reasonable amount of time, then there are at least two possible outcomes:

1. The content was not obviously offensive or against the rules and the Staff members have not had the opportunity to read and comment on the reported post.

2. The Team has read the report and the consensus is no action is necessary.

Interesting that the team find pedophilia acceptable.
I think you are drawing a long bow there. I doubt the mods find paedophilia acceptable simply that they find the joke, which used the OP as his own target, was not in itself objectionable. Jokes pointed at oneself are often used as a device for making an 'uncomfortable' subject acceptable.

I'm afraid I can't really agree with you on that one. I understand what you're
saying in principle. But, there are also some subjects which deserve respect
and sensitivity.
Having said that, it's difficult to say where the line should be drawn.
If any comment is aimed specifically at you then if you are offended then that is your right. If it is not aimed at you how can that offend , You have the right to disagree but to be offended, no. If you feel that you are offended then keep it to yourself as I'm offended by that type of attituded.
Intended to reply to mikejhn

Child abuse is not acceptable no matter who is the victim or who it's aimed at.

I have been a member of UK Workshops for some time and have only reported posts three times to my recollection, these report have been very recently on the so called joke thread, time to unsubscribe I think.

Child abuse is not acceptable no matter who is the victim or who it's aimed at.

I have been a member of UK Workshops for some time and have only reported posts three times to my recollection, these report have been very recently on the so called joke thread, time to unsubscribe I think.
But Mike. For every one of you who is offended there is someone offended by jokes about dogs, cats, disabilities, speech impediments, red hair, vikings, Irish, Welsh, Scots, mother in law ...and everything under the sun. Who is the arbiter and where does it stop? Humour often draws attention to unacceptable things like pedophilia and necrophilia and possibly even philophilia, and in so doing makes considerable fun of those who do find such practices acceptable. Ridicule is often the best way of dealing with these things in society rather than brushing them under the carpet, pretending that they don't happen, or censoring for fear of offending someone.

Maybe try to see these things for what they are rather than being offended. You don't have to laugh. There are plenty of things I don't find funny, scat humour being an example, but if others do then they can fill their boots.....

Laughter is the best medicine.

My Dad had a saying "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined". He was a pilot in WWII, flying Beaufighters. They would say that after a particularly bad sortie. Dark humour has always been a part of the British psyche.

It's important we never forget monsters like Savile. He owned a nightclub here in Bournemouth where a couple of my friends worked in the mid 70s. There were gruesome stories about him even back then, but he was untouchable. Dark jokes like that are all part of it. It made me laugh, but not in a good way.

Now, can we get back to the jokes please?

Well, I think you people need to wait and see when one of these
issues touches you directly. You may well then re-evaluate your
flippant attitude.

If it involves harming or violence, to humans or animals, it is not funny, that includes pedophilia, rape, sexism, and racism.
Fun / pleasure is not something that one can have at another beings expense. The name for that is sadism. Or psychopathy.
Saville used to make jokes about what he did frequently saying that his "case comes up next Thursday".
Telling jokes against himself was part of his "hiding in plain site" ( I'm not for a moment saying that was what Doug B was doing )..I saw the post by Doug B ..and also the one which followed it, also about pedophilia. One was removed, one was left in , or missed .
Sexual jokes are not allowed, unless ... ?

Last edited:
But Mike. For every one of you who is offended there is someone offended by jokes about dogs, cats, disabilities, speech impediments, red hair, vikings, Irish, Welsh, Scots, mother in law ...and everything under the sun. Who is the arbiter and where does it stop? Humour often draws attention to unacceptable things like pedophilia and necrophilia and possibly even philophilia, and in so doing makes considerable fun of those who do find such practices acceptable. Ridicule is often the best way of dealing with these things in society rather than brushing them under the carpet, pretending that they don't happen, or censoring for fear of offending someone.

Maybe try to see these things for what they are rather than being offended. You don't have to laugh. There are plenty of things I don't find funny, scat humour being an example, but if others do then they can fill their boots.....

It is not about being "offended".
It is about having some respect and empathy for someone else's suffering.

rts.jpg

Interesting that the team find pedophilia acceptable.
I think that statement is a bit of a stretch. Personally I was very amused by a photo shopped image of Andrew at his dad's funeral with, alongside his numerous medals, a "Jim fixed it for me" badge. Does that make me a person who finds paedophilia acceptable? I don't think so. Whilst the post you are referring to didn't have me rolling about on the floor laughing, I certainly didn't find it offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back