Joke Thread III

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1957 (BBC Panorama)

Yes. Wasn't it an April Fools joke on TV where someone like Cliff Michelmore (Sp?) or Raymond Baxter or someone like that did a report on the spaghetti farmers of Italy? (And I'm not sure, but think it must have been BBC 'cos there was no ITV - or any channel other than BBC - back then).

Edit for a P.S. I didn't see it at the time (we didn't have "a box" back then) but thinking about it I think it was probably the spaghetti farmers of Switzerland, not Italy, and the "reporter" was probably Richard Dimbleby

Last edited:
I remember seeing that on our very small TV screen with the magnifying glass frame in front of it the TV set was about the size of a bookcase, in our scullery, just by the back door to the outside loo past the mangle, that brought back a lot of memories.

Yes. Wasn't it an April Fools joke on TV where someone like Cliff Michelmore (Sp?) or Raymond Baxter or someone like that did a report on the spaghetti farmers of Italy? (And I'm not sure, but think it must have been BBC 'cos there was no ITV - or any channel other than BBC - back then).

Edit for a P.S. I didn't see it at the time (we didn't have "a box" back then) but thinking about it I think it was probably the spaghetti farmers of Switzerland, not Italy, and the "reporter" was probably Richard Dimbleby
Yes it was R.D. Quite unlike Aunty Beeb at the time which made it all the more believable.

Screenshot_20230401-131748~2.png

It’s amazing how two siblings can be so different. Take Albert Einstein… world famous and renowned genius but his brother Frank was a monster by all accounts.
Reminds me of the poem...

'There's a world famous family called Stein.
There's Gert and there's Ep and there's Ein.
Gert's poems are bunk, Ep's statues are junk and no-one can understand Ein.'

Pete

Why does a joke thread end up all analytical?
For the same reason that someone can use the wrong adjective to describe something. 😉

The adjective, analytical, and the related verb analyze can both be traced back to the Greek verb, analyein — "to break up, to loosen." If you are analytical, you are good at taking a problem or task and breaking it down into smaller elements in order to solve the problem or complete the task. The opposite type of problem-solving is called the intuitive approach in which a person senses the correct action to take without proof or reasoning. Analytic can be substituted for analytical in this sense.

For the same reason that someone can use the wrong adjective to describe something. 😉

The adjective, analytical, and the related verb analyze can both be traced back to the Greek verb, analyein — "to break up, to loosen." If you are analytical, you are good at taking a problem or task and breaking it down into smaller elements in order to solve the problem or complete the task. The opposite type of problem-solving is called the intuitive approach in which a person senses the correct action to take without proof or reasoning. Analytic can be substituted for analytical in this sense.
I need to think about that. :unsure:

It's good to learn something every day. I feel better for that.

Another example is the Marx familay. Karl is famous to this day in the political field while his sister Onya, a top class athlete, is largely forgotten (although she is always remembered and mentioned at the start of every running race).

How can she be "largely forgotten", yet "always remembered" at the same time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back