Joke Thread III

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Double bonus: vaporise the payload with a heat seeking missile rather than puncture the balloon and recover the payload intact

That struck me as well. Very curious logic.
Something else too...when it was first reported here, the balloon was above Montana. The reason they didn't shoot it down then was said to prevent people being hurt on the ground.
Montana has "6.86 people for every square mile of land".
For contrast, the UK has 727....

That struck me as well. Very curious logic.
Something else too...when it was first reported here, the balloon was above Montana. The reason they didn't shoot it down then was said to prevent people being hurt on the ground.
Montana has "6.86 people for every square mile of land".
For contrast, the UK has 727....
Even funnier, it has been released that they were tracking it before it crossed into the US

bll.jpg

Double bonus: vaporise the payload with a heat seeking missile rather than puncture the balloon and recover the payload intact

Just curious as to what's on/in a gas filled balloon floating in air that's at around -55C that might attract a HEAT seeking missile?

G.

Where would we be without maps?
I've recently relocated from Cornwall to North East Lincolnshire... Needing to find a cheap carpet shop;- so wanting to feel the quality to balance it against the price, I decided to avoid the internet... I went into town & asked around. but everyone I asked said they had no ideas to offer, as they hadn't bought carpets for years. I thought my best bet would be to ask Google "Cheapest Carpet Prices in Grimsby" and buy a street-map to find the store(s). I was in town already so I asked in the Library "where can I buy a street-map ?" They said "we don't sell them, we only lend out books, but you could try in " the precinct ".... I went there & asked a group of Police-Persons... They had no real ideas to offer, but suggested that I try "The Magazine Shop".....They said "we don't sell them anymore - 'cos everyone's using Google now"
I gave up and returned home to ask Google "Where can I buy a street-map "
Google suggested Waterstones Website, which came up "Grimsby is Currently Unavailable".
It seems to me that Google now has the Monopoly.......Online Maps are now the NORM.....I can't find a paper one at all (Yet ! )
Exasperation is setting in......Looks as though I'll end up taking pot-luck & buying a fitted carpet from just anywhere that I can find !

I've recently relocated from Cornwall to North East Lincolnshire... Needing to find a cheap carpet shop;- so wanting to feel the quality to balance it against the price, I decided to avoid the internet... I went into town & asked around. but everyone I asked said they had no ideas to offer, as they hadn't bought carpets for years. I thought my best bet would be to ask Google "Cheapest Carpet Prices in Grimsby" and buy a street-map to find the store(s). I was in town already so I asked in the Library "where can I buy a street-map ?" They said "we don't sell them, we only lend out books, but you could try in " the precinct ".... I went there & asked a group of Police-Persons... They had no real ideas to offer, but suggested that I try "The Magazine Shop".....They said "we don't sell them anymore - 'cos everyone's using Google now"
I gave up and returned home to ask Google "Where can I buy a street-map "
Google suggested Waterstones Website, which came up "Grimsby is Currently Unavailable".
It seems to me that Google now has the Monopoly.......Online Maps are now the NORM.....I can't find a paper one at all (Yet ! )
Exasperation is setting in......Looks as though I'll end up taking pot-luck & buying a fitted carpet from just anywhere that I can find !
Would you like me to screenshot carpet shops in Grimsby!🤣🤣

Just curious as to what's on/in a gas filled balloon floating in air that's at around -55C that might attract a HEAT seeking missile?

G.

Don't forget that the term "heat seeking" is used loosely in "missileology". Infra Red will also "look" for bright lights, and as the balloon envelope material will be white or silver it will certainly reflect the sun light enough to attract a modern IR missile. In addition, the electronics must be kept "warm" (relative to the surrounding, very thin air - as mentioned above by another poster), which will also be enough heat differential to attract a modern IR missile. AND also being probably "silvered plastic" the balloon envelope will certainly give a return to a modern radar-guided missile. So although I don't really know definitely, there's lots of possibilities I guess.

Last edited:
Don't forget that the term "heat seeking" is used loosely in "missileology". Infra Red will also "look" for bright lights, and as the balloon envelope material will be white or silver it will certainly reflect the sun light enough to attrack a modern IR missile. In addition, the electronics must be kept "warm" (relative to the surrounding, very thin air - as mentioned above by another poster), which will also be enough heat differential to attract a modern IR missile. AND also being probably "silvered plastic" the balloon envelope will certainly give a return to a modern radar-guided missile. So although I don't really know definitely, there's lots of possibilities I guess.
Surely it's a turkey shoot for a f35 fighter!!

Given that there was enough 'heat' being given off by the balloon, then you're right! Frankly, I'd have thought that one bullet/shell from a machine gun or cannon would have done the trick.

G.
Come on! We're talking Americans here. Why use only one bullet/shell when 99 will do? 🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back