if you could....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
As it's that time of year......
If you could, name a couple of people you would like to meet just for an hour.....dead or alive....?.......reasons, if u want.....
for me it would be
Sam Maloof, great designs and workmanship.....reminds me of my time in California working wood and metal........
Richard Feynman, brilliant outlook on life.....just a great bloke.....

have a good holiday......

Prof Eric Laithwaite
I used to see him most mornings from the bus in my way to school in 64 or thereabouts. He was leaning on his furled umbrella, waiting for a lift, probably to NPL.
I found out, many years later, that he lived in the same small road as my aunt and uncle. Also it turns out that he was a neighbour of an old friend of mine, whose sister was an astro physicist, and the two of them would crack impenetrable physics jokes at social gatherings.

Last edited:
As it's that time of year......
If you could, name a couple of people you would like to meet just for an hour.....dead or alive....?.......reasons, if u want.....
for me it would be
Sam Maloof, great designs and workmanship.....reminds me of my time in California working wood and metal........
Richard Feynman, brilliant outlook on life.....just a great bloke.....

have a good holiday......
I have a boxed set of three volumes of The Feynman lectures on physics. These were basically my textbooks for my first year physics course

For myself, Nelson, John Knox, Henry VIII, Harold Godwinson.
Henry to see what sort of man he really was. Same for Knox.
Harold to tell him that when the time comes makes sure everyone stays on the d*mn hill and don't go chasing the Normans down the slope.
Nelson, to me is a mess of contradictions that I'd love to try and unravel.

Speaking of meeting people reminded of something that happened about 50 years ago. We were in Portugal and dealt with a Belgian lady. I forget what it was, but I said something was evil - she told me I didn't know what evil was, she had met Dr. Mengele.

I took classes in his machines lab at Imperial back in the day but never got to meet him ...
Isn't it the way of things !
The first Christmas lectures on BBC that I remember were delivered by EW. Levitating ash trays!
He came across(on TV, I never met him in person)as the archetypal scientist - brilliant but with limited social skills.

Speaking of meeting people reminded of something that happened about 50 years ago. We were in Portugal and dealt with a Belgian lady. I forget what it was, but I said something was evil - she told me I didn't know what evil was, she had met Dr. Mengele.
My dad was among the first troops to enter Belsen after it was liberated. He still had nightmares about it until he died. He always used to say that nowadays we seem to have lost sight of the fact that some people are just evil, and delight in inflicting suffering on others.

Not in any order:

Sachin Tendulkar
Robert Downey Junior
Chris Evans (Captain America)
Stephen Fry
Rowan Atkinson
Wernher Von Braun
Buzz Aldrin
Shaq

And a few more from ancient and recent history as well.

Bob Marley and Peter tosh to many other great reggae artists to mention . Both truly great inspirational people in my very early years and continue to be .

My mother and grandmother. I'm lucky to have had so many happy and funny memories with them. Very lucky.

Mike Collins, the Apollo 11 astronaut that didn’t descend to the moon. His book ”Carrying the fire” is a brilliant very well written book and got me interested in him.
Richard Feynman. His books are also well written and don’t waste words. Learnt a lot from some of them, but also have a couple that found the limits of my abilities re the maths.
IK Brunel
Beethoven ((if the language barrier vanished)
and as an agnostic, Jesus of Nathareth to make my own mind up! (was that thunder I just heard outside?

I would love to meet my great grandfather who died in WW1 battle of somme that would be amazing, also jimi hendrix.

I've always wondered what an old girlfriend would look like, lovely bottom, after 40 years we had a school reunion last year. Wonderful girl but time and gravity have not been kind (same for me).

Dr Bob and Bill W, for me.

Latest posts

Back