I received this text on my mobile this morning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally known as number spoofing.

Not all phone numbers are what they seem as they clone numbers with software so you think say Manchester number but in fact Indian scam centre.
But they also load numbers they have scammed like OP's.

7726 is number to send scam stuff to

Also any number you are not sure on type into search bar brings up websites like Who called me and others then has reports or not on number scam/pest/nuisance(British Gas) or others companies or not.

Many years ago tired of receiving sales calls. Which ages me as calls nowadays are scam calls designed to part you from your money in a much more sinister method.

I cancelled my landline and went mobile only.
Then I set my phone up to instantly send any call not in my address book to answer phone.
Whilst I miss the odd genuine call.
I've never received a scam call.
Genuine callers always leave a message.

Scam text are another thing.

Stay sharp, stay safe...

11pm last night got a Govuk we can help you with energy bills etc your due for? yaddah yaddah etc
https:net address stank to me of fish!
Spoke to friend that's into them checked it and googles closed them down or someone has gets the Quarantined icon.

But there now using a new scam will post later as trying to type on 2 keyboards main one isn't lit and im typing in the dark!

My understanding is that the scammers use malware to access somebody's contacts then send texts out to all entries in that person's contact list (they know your name from the contact record). As said earlier, they do this to provoke a response to show them you are an active contact, then they hook you to release more info.

I took artie's post as hilarious in that someone says they don't have you number but are using it to contact you. 🤣
If you are dumb enough to fall for it then perhaps you should be taken. I add them to the blocked sender list and delete.
Same when I get an email from a real friend wanting me to look at pictures and the originator is in Chile or some other far off place.
The world is full of rat-bags and you can't let your guard down.

Pete

So what you are saying is ..if i manually enter a legitimate mobile number or return a call to a LMN displayed it could be a premium rate number?
It is possible for the caller to get any number displayed on your phone. That is why you get people phoning you up claiming to be from Microsoft but having a heavy Indian accent but it is a local number. The number that is displayed does not mean anything. They could even display your banks number.

If you manual input your banks number, as printed on your card, you will get the bank if you wait a few minutes. If you ring back straight away they may still be connected and pretend to be your bank.
If you input the scammers number you will get the scammer who can transfer the call just like a switchboard does.

Back