I received this text on my mobile this morning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
This is a real text I received.
The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Artie, trying to find your telephone numbers, but my phone won't give me full numbers. Please send me both mobile and landline numbers so that I can use the old method and write them down!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
So will hopefully be in touch soon! Jxxxxxxr Fxxxxxxx

Yet another scam… likely next you’ll get a request for financial help…

The reasonable alternative is to phone JF back, assuming you know his/her number, and ask if they really messaged (is there such a word as 'texted'?) you.

The reasonable alternative is to phone JF back, assuming you know his/her number, and ask if they really messaged (is there such a word as 'texted'?) you.

Do not phone back.

IT is a scammer. They texted you to ask for your mobile number.

You will be confirming to the scammer that the phone number is active. Then they know to send more texts, most likely saying you have a message please phone this number.

Also if you do phone you could be transferred to a premium rate number.

happened to catch a few moments of one of the bbc morning shows yesterday (day before maybe) who suggest forwarding the message to SPAM (ie the numbers that spell S P A M), not sure exactly why, but I think down the line it helps got those numbers blocked. For a nuisance call you can text CALL and the number to SPAM

Do not phone back.

IT is a scammer. They texted you to ask for your mobile number.

You will be confirming to the scammer that the phone number is active. Then they know to send more texts, most likely saying you have a message please phone this number.

Also if you do phone you could be transferred to a premium rate number.
I agree the text is probably a scam and I should have explained my thinking further. On the off chance that JF is a friend then phone them typing in their number or using your normal link for them. Do not reply via the text. That way if they had really texted you then you'd know if it's genuine.

I agree the text is probably a scam and I should have explained my thinking further. On the off chance that JF is a friend then phone them typing in their number or using your normal link for them. Do not reply via the text. That way if they had really texted you then you'd know if it's genuine.
The trouble is if it is a scam they transfer you to a premium rate number and then put you on hold. Someone answers and says "He is around in the office somewhere can you wait a minute". They never take you off hold. If you phone again they will apologize and put you on hold again.

Easy scam, computer to text random numbers and a scammer to answer the people who took the bait and put them on hold.

I agree with the others who say do nothing, just block and delete.

This text is somebody fishing for your personal information. Next they will ask for your name, and then your date of birth, and then something else etc etc. After a while you will get some bogus sob story about why they desperately need money from you. Or you will get a text with a link in it to a website. If you get one of these DO NOT click on the link, even if you are just curious. You could end up downloading spyware onto your phone.

What harm could a simple reply do? It is you nibbling at the bait. It tells them you are there and that you are curious. They will dangle more bait in front of you to see how far you will go.

Scammers trade on the sense of decency and/or gullibility that ordinary people have. Don't be taken for a mug and find later you are a lot of money out of pocket.

The best attitude these days is to just think that everything is a scam until proven otherwise and be so cautious that you trust no one when it comes to personal data. Some people are really just to gullable, why would you transfer cash because someone on the phone tells you ! This happens a lot and I still find it so hard to believe.

How is it possible to ring a number ( in this case starting 07xxx) and then be transferred to a premium rate number?
Relatively easily using readily available software that fraudsters use also to make their victims think It is a legitimate caller. It’s called number or call masking. The telecoms companies in the UK are dragging their feet in introducing a solution to stop it happening.

Back