I did drop a few hints...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
...during the latter months of '23, remarking how useful a planer thicknesser would be.
No, I wouldn't use it every week, and yes, I would have trouble fitting it in my shed, but...
Now, this is going to sound ungrateful.
I don't mean it to, but it will.
I should be grateful for all presents received, and should've remembered that my beloved does have a tendency to buy me curious things, but they ordinarily land somewhere in the right ballpark.
That said, I didn't get a planer thicknesser....
What I did get was a pair of Bose noise-cancelling earbuds. Oh..and a packet of cheese straw type things.

"So", you'll be thinking, "you listen to a lot of music, then...."
No. Used to, many years ago, but not now.
"Radio?"
Yes. More than I watch TV. Radio 4, normally. Unfortunately, the radio isn't rigged for bluetooth, which I believe is how these Bose things work.
"Phone, then. You listen to music on your mobile phone..."
No. (1) I haven't got one, and (2) didn't know you could listen to music on one anyway.
So it all begs the question....and leads me to something else....

I google the things, and nearly fell off my chair when I found out how much they were. Better find some use for 'em...

OK. I'll use them with my laptop. All I need do is "pair" them together.
Nope. Better look in the manual. Y'know, the one that came with the box.
Nope. You don't get one in the box. You have to find one on the internet.
Log on to the Bose site.
You have to open an account. I don't want to open an account. If you don't open an account, you can't use them....
I open an account. Name, email, password. You have to agree to their terms and conditions.
And breathe.....

Back into their site, if only to find out how you turn the damn things on.
You have to be verified. We've sent an email to the one you gave. It could be in your junk folder....it was.
Clicked it to verify.
"WELCOME!"
"By opening an account with us, you are being notified of all our excellent offers and ............"

I still don't know how the things work.
I've put them back in their box and I'll gradually 'misplace' them somewhere in the house....

I do feel your pain @Cozzer , but it's probably worth persisting with them, if
only to let her know you appreciate the gift.
Have you not got a techy friend or a young person around who could help ?

Providing they were powered on, they might make half decent ear defenders?!

but would misplacing them include putting them up for sale on this site? (Still wouldn’t buy you that planer thicknesser Though.

What I did get was a pair of Bose noise-cancelling earbuds.
You could just use them in the workshop when making a lot of noise or you will be ready for when you get a P/T as they are really noisy. If the wife snores then you might get better sleep by just using them as ear plugs.

Noise cancelling are a godsend on long haul flights.
Fortunately Sennheiser make good ones too, less bulky and fold up.
You'll need 2 batteries to get to make it to the other side of the world :)

If you were to buy a 'bluetooth transmitter' something like this Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver 2 IN 1 Wireless Audio 3.5mm Jack Aux Adapter | eBay (n.b. this is the first example I found, I'm not saying this exact one) you can make any device with a headphone jack bluetooth compatable. The above one will receive (rx) or transmit (tx) depending what you are wanting to do. In your case it would transmit from a radio to your earbuds.

(Or if you wanted to make your stereo system bluetooth you'd change it to receive and connect to the aux in, and you could then transmit from a phone or laptop to your stereo.)

As an aside I play in a band and I've just started using full range ear plugs which are really useful for the workshop too as you can still hear whats going on around you as they reduce all the frequencies more equally. I used to use normal foam earplugs but they muffle the high sounds.

i dont have an account on bose - but went to the support par tof webside where you can download
https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/suppor...s_support/bose_in_ear_headphones_support.htmlnot sure which version you have
Bose QuietComfort Ultra Earbuds
https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/suppor...tcomfort-earbuds-ultra/manuals_downloads.html
Quietcomfort Earbuds II.
Two? Eleven?!
Either way, bloody expensive for what they are. Especially if you don't use them!
(I'm used to seeing ii in lowercase - if you're a muso you'll know what I mean!)

This is the new trend, of course.....gone are the days of simply exchanging dosh for a product - you give all your personal contact details in order to get the damn thing working!
I came across something similar a few months ago - I can't remember what, exactly - and they requested the usual name/address/inside leg measurement etc. Came to the 'phone number section, and it actually detailed "mobile".... I entered N/A....and it wouldn't have it! I tried the landline number, and of course it wasn't recognised as being the correct format! I even tried making a mobile number up, but it sussed me and it was a case of three strikes and you're out!

...during the latter months of '23, remarking how useful a planer thicknesser would be.
No, I wouldn't use it every week, and yes, I would have trouble fitting it in my shed, but...
I should be grateful for all presents received, and should've remembered that my beloved does have a tendency to buy me curious things, but they ordinarily land somewhere in the right ballpark.
What I did get was a pair of Bose noise-cancelling earbuds. Oh..and a packet of cheese straw type things.

"Radio?"
Yes. More than I watch TV. Radio 4, normally. Unfortunately, the radio isn't rigged for bluetooth, which I believe is how these Bose things work.
No. (1) I haven't got one, and (2) didn't know you could listen to music on one anyway.

I google the things, and nearly fell off my chair when I found out how much they were. Better find some use for 'em...

Log on to the Bose site.
You have to open an account. I don't want to open an account. If you don't open an account, you can't use them....
I open an account. Name, email, password. You have to agree to their terms and conditions.
And breathe.....

You have to be verified. We've sent an email to the one you gave. It could be in your junk folder....it was.
Clicked it to verify.
"WELCOME!"
"By opening an account with us, you are being notified of all our excellent offers and ............"

I've put them back in their box and I'll gradually 'misplace' them somewhere in the house....
I don't see the problem. Get yourself a dummy gmail account. Just click the boxes and .....breathe.

My understanding is that it can be misleading to think that noise cancelling headphones make good ear defenders. They don't block all noise the way that dedicated ear defenders will. See this for example: Can Noise-Canceling Headphones Stop Hearing Loss? What to Know
Spot on. I have a pair of Stihl ear-defenders with built-in bluetooth. The musical sound quality is great. I can answer phone calls if I need to. So damn goos, I've got a spare pair because the one thing that life has taught me is that technology moves on and if/when these pack up, the new models won't be anywhere near as good.

The suggestion of a bluetooth receiver/transmitter is a good one - I used one of these for years on a Denon hi-fi system to allow a rubbish tv to leverage the attached Mission speakers :ROFLMAO:

All this tech talk is fine, provided one does not have hearing aids....just sayin'.
Ah but the NHS now offer bluetooth aids and they will migrate me over to them real soon.
Well that's what they told me 12 months ago, still waiting....

"Radio?"

Log on to the Bose site.
And breathe.....

Clicked it to verify.
"WELCOME!"

you need to find a young person, I did but still can't use them. Of an age are we?

This is the new trend, of course.....gone are the days of simply exchanging dosh for a product - you give all your personal contact details in order to get the damn thing working!
I came across something similar a few months ago - I can't remember what, exactly - and they requested the usual name/address/inside leg measurement etc. Came to the 'phone number section, and it actually detailed "mobile".... I entered N/A....and it wouldn't have it! I tried the landline number, and of course it wasn't recognised as being the correct format! I even tried making a mobile number up, but it sussed me and it was a case of three strikes and you're out!
I did once successfully enter a dummy mobile, by entering a provider's code (07etc) followed by the appropriate no. off zeros, it worked. I was ordering stuff to be delivered from Wickes garden products, & they wanted a mob.#. (I only use mine for security PINs & logons) I rang to ask why, & was told it was for 'click & collect', but I said it's clearly there on my order that I have ordered for delivery. As we say; "You can't educate pork". :unsure:

Back