Help Needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sort of thing can easily happen when things are done ad hoc. Which is why building sites have site agents, to ensure that the each trade carries out their task properly, and doesn't snooker the one to follow. Otherwise, things can start to get expensive very quickly.
The only options I can see, have already been pointed out by others. Which are to rejig or replace the pan, open the door outward, or narrow the door opening. Anything else (Remember those horrible Marley concertina doors) is probably going to look like a lash-up.

Edit OMG those Marley doors still exist !

Why is there some boxing behind the toilet cistern get toilet fitted properly then the door won't be a problem you can't cover one cock up with an other
I thought the point of the door was to cover the cock up. (Sorry, off now ....)

Seriously though, we now know this is a 'public' space so some of the things you might get away with in your own home - tambour, outward opening, bifold - simply won't be appropriate. The solution needs to be robust, privacy lockable from the inside and useable by anyone. Moving the hinges might do it, if not then I wonder of a narrower door plus an infill panel might do it but I'm sure there are standards for door width and a narrow door is unhelpful for larger users, so it looks like changing or re-siting the toilet is the best option: short term pain for long term gain. No window above and you can see where the earlier mid-level cistern was fitted. Can you still get traditional cisterns & pans that are not close coupled?

Public place, as far as I know you have no option but to open outwards because if a punter is collapsed in there, there is no way of gaining entry.
Cheers, Andy
Ps, thinking out the box....
Roller shutter.😁

It's just been fitted & the plumber has left it up to someone else to sort out the door.
Paraphrasing Pip1954, the plumber has made a proper bullwarks. The now very much further forward 'throne' will never allow that door to work properly. Get the size 84 tw6t back to install the cistern where it originally was, ON THE WALL!

I thought the point of the door was to cover the cock up. (Sorry, off now ....)

Seriously though, we now know this is a 'public' space so some of the things you might get away with in your own home - tambour, outward opening, bifold - simply won't be appropriate. The solution needs to be robust, privacy lockable from the inside and useable by anyone. Moving the hinges might do it, if not then I wonder of a narrower door plus an infill panel might do it but I'm sure there are standards for door width and a narrow door is unhelpful for larger users, so it looks like changing or re-siting the toilet is the best option: short term pain for long term gain. No window above and you can see where the earlier mid-level cistern was fitted. Can you still get traditional cisterns & pans that are not close coupled?
I believe they bought that cistern because it was cheaper.

Can you offset to one side a bit more? Assuming the sewer connection is behind the cabinet, it's already connected with a flexible connector so you should have a bit of movement. Hopefully the water is also fitted with a flexible pipe. If neither, fit them, cheaper and easier than other options. You may still need a smaller bowl.

Talking of toilet doors, my bathroom/toilet, now a wet-room, has a fire door (original build). I often wonder why, as no other room in the 'bungle house' has one. My guess is the builders used whatever was 'lying around'spare? :dunno:

Talking of toilet doors, my bathroom/toilet, now a wet-room, has a fire door (original build). I often wonder why, as no other room in the 'bungle house' has one. My guess is the builders used whatever was 'lying around'spare? :dunno:
Luxury!
We've got fire doors (building regs) and you get to like them - heavy and substantial, solid clunk as they shut, swing nicely on strong hinges, sound resistant, look good if painted up and have nice hardware attached. I'd choose them in preference to a lightweight flush door

Public place, does the building have disabled access, if so that toilet will never comply, bite the bullet and pull that inappropriate close coupled toilet out and fit a back to the wall pan with concealed cistern in the box behind.

Public place, does the building have disabled access, if so that toilet will never comply, bite the bullet and pull that inappropriate close coupled toilet out and fit a back to the wall pan with concealed cistern in the box behind.
Yes the building does have disabled access. The 3 toilets in that block are not accessible to a disabled person though , there is a toilet on the ground floor for people with disabilities. The toilet in question is on the 1st floor. There is not enough money in the kitty to do any costly alterations , we are run as a charity.

The door does open inwards. It may be a problem opening outwards as people entering or exiting , have to walk past it.
Okay Tony let's look at this logically.
I get the impression from the situation that even before the alteration of the toilet the available space within the cubicle may have been barely adequate.
Even at this stage of considering moving the door out 60mm+ can you say it will be adequate?
Plainly,as a charity, you need to comply with any statutory requirements and will moving the door be sufficient to comply ?
You say opening out will hinder people passing but owing to the minimum duration of this hinderance I get the feeling this may be the only solution available which also ensures (with correct privacy latches) that emergency access is guaranteed.
Cheers, Andy

Yes the building does have disabled access. The 3 toilets in that block are not accessible to a disabled person though , there is a toilet on the ground floor for people with disabilities. The toilet in question is on the 1st floor. There is not enough money in the kitty to do any costly alterations , we are run as a charity.
You could probably make that toilet comply for under £200 at the moment its a broom cupboard, that's an idea, take out the pan, block up the waste pipe and store brooms in the space, no cost.

The solution is actually fairly simple. Use pivot hinges. This will move the pivot point inwards sufficiently to reduce the swinging arc of the door to clear the pan. The door stop on the hinge side will be refitted on the inside. Simple. Hinge set £15-20. Job done.

Well if no one else is going to say it, I will, it's a cock up from the start the plumber or whoever, did not use the mega brain cells they had and procured the wrong toilet for that space, it needs ripping out and replacing with a back to the wall pan and concealed cistern in the paneling behind, or ripping out and a Urinal put in its place or making into a broom cupboard.

We are now going around in circles, I'm out.

Last edited:
Back