Cleaning oak doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian0309

Reaction score
Hi,
Advice needed please. Approx 10 yrs I had 11 oak doors fitted. I was advised to apply 2 coats of clear briwax. The doors have been neglected and now could do with a good clean, especially around handles, and re waxed. Can someone advise best way to clean doors and with what? Should I lightly sand door after cleaning before waxing? Worst door is bathroom door next to bath which has water marks on it (thanks kids!!). Do I have to do anything different to remove water marks? Thanks for any advice.

Oxalic acid should remove the water marks
As for the wax, i believe white spirit works, or a hair drier to warm it and then wipe it off to remove the worst of it.... I'd imagine a light go with a card scraper woukd work too

Agree with Dee J. Oak and wirewool do not agree with oneanother! Scotchbrite sanding pads only.As above white spirits to clean off wax and oxalic acid to bleach out marks.
For large surfaces I have used the scotchbrite pads to apply the wax.

Wire wool on oak? Risking black staining if any fibres/debris remains in the grain.... Perhaps Scotch-Brite would be safer. But definitely oxalic acid to remove staining.
Done it loads of times and never had a problem, obviously you need to vacuum, but in reality you would have to be pretty careless, and how damp is the wood?

Sounds like they need a good wash. I'd take them off one at a time and wash down with sugar soap. Re-hang and light sanding when dry. Then thinly brushed on boiled linseed oil. Rub down with cloth about an hour later. Repeat oil after a few months.

Latest posts

Back