Can someone recommend a decent outdoor polyurethane or varnish for my oak doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianatBisley

Reaction score
I have two front doors that face south. I live in a windy area and the rain is blown onto the doors with a lot of force. One door is about 3 years old and was put in by a 'builder' who used a Sadolin product with a bit of stain in it. The finish looked good for about 18 months then essentially washed off the door. The other door is original to the house (1959) and was someone's attempt at Mock Tudor. It looks like a school kid built it from a plan in a woodworking magazine, but it is still sound. (don't mention the guy's first ever staircase as it is a sensitive subject around here). The old door has about 20 coats of varnish on top of each other, applied with virtually no prep. I plan on soda blasting both doors and do a little 'restoration' to the trim on the older door. I am looking for a really good outdoor product to finish with that has UV protection as I don't really want to rinse and repeat every year. Has anyone discovered something that works?

I am looking for a really good outdoor product to finish with that has UV protection as I don't really want to rinse and repeat every year.
I've never found anything that doesn't need regular maintenance on Oak, so I don't bother.

I agree with HOJ. Oak is very open-grained and, unless it is very sheltered it will be very hard to get anything to stay on it for any length of time. Better to let it go that lovely silvery colour of weaterhered oak.

Jim

In the late 1990's a friend asked me much the same question about his oak front door.He was prevaricating between modern and fairly technical finishes or something traditional and I recommended Deks Olje D1 followed by D2.He went with it and it still looks good.Not exactly a cheap option but less expensive than stripping an ineffectual finish or two and re-doing the job a few times.https://www.marinesuperstore.com/wood-care/varnishes/deks-olje-d-2

I've never found anything that doesn't need regular maintenance on Oak, so I don't bother.
Agree. Most good varnishes have 50%+ oil content to 'feed' the timber, and a 'shelac' to seal the oil in.
The 'shelac' breaks down in time, with exposure to UV, making life easier for a light sanding and reapply of varnish.

Sikkens Cetol. Used this on a teak table 8 years ago and will need re-finishing this year. It's been sat in a South facing rear garden in all weathers.

Back