Internal doors - "solid" oak and other queries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that a lot, thank you!

Ah ok, right that makes sense. What sort of gap are you leaving around the door - frame perimeter, something 1-2mm type thing?
for my doors they are around 1.5mm ~ 2mm, I haven’t checked the bottom and top because the top is a little high at 1,950 and the floor isn’t level and so has a movable threshold. I have used the recommended spacing for the fitting, since my doors are Teak and just under 1,000 mm x 2,000 mm x 50 mm. It’s very likely that they are within the specifications for three hinges that I prefer the more symmetrical look of four hinges designed for hanging heavier doors. I’m not sure that it’s actually required, but it certainly looks okay.
BCE57D82-50E9-4E0B-AD4E-21D89E31129B.jpeg
246A8708-219D-4E98-BA61-14596A535928.jpeg

The recommendation for 2 top hinges seems to be to reduce the warping tendency of heavier doors as well as the extra load carrying capacity of fire rated doors.

Last edited:
That's a very nice looking door and agree with you, that spacing looks good. Thank you

I've been encouraged by the Mrs to get doors fitted to help control the dust I'm creating during the renovation. We like the idea of solid oak for durability/longevity and as it will be more forgiving/adjustable for the old frames.

A few questions if I may:

1) Where to people source their solid oak doors from? My local timber merchants only offer veneer. I've found this one company online that offers a solid oak construction although it's made up in layers allowing 15mm of trim down ability all round. Are there better ones out there, is this good etc? Victorian 4 Panel Oak Door - Victorian Doors - UK Oak Doors™

2) Given the weight, I will be fitting a three hinges per door and thinking to go for the 100 x 75mm variety but wanted to check, given the hinge plates on these are 31mm would that be ok on a 35mm thick door or should I look for narrower hinges?

3) For the non-locking doors, will go for a heavy duty flat latch. Where I am confused is the case/backset, what determines what option I pick there? https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search/filter/ironmongery_finishgroup>{brass}?query=heavy duty flat latch

4) I am going to get bathroom-style locks fitted to the bedrooms. I've not seen this done before but with teenage/adult kids and I want give them (and us) privacy. Is there any reason why these aren't fitted in UK bedrooms other than personal choice?

5) One of the doors will lead from the bedroom to a dressing room. I am thinking to fit a bifold door so that it can tuck out the way when open and not obstruct movement around the bed etc. What is the best way/type of bifold door installation so that the door has a solid close to it as my experience with these doors is that they feel a bit flimsy in the mechanism.

Thanks in advance!

@Mjward I've bought lots of doors from 'Todd Doors' - seriously good products and a wide range. My latest purchase for our refurb was 14 oak doors. No, they are not solid oak. Yes, they are heavy, with an excellent veneer and a solid core - no voids, and generously 'lipped' so they can be trimmed to suit. Chris

@Mjward I've bought lots of doors from 'Todd Doors' - seriously good products and a wide range. My latest purchase for our refurb was 14 oak doors. No, they are not solid oak. Yes, they are heavy, with an excellent veneer and a solid core - no voids, and generously 'lipped' so they can be trimmed to suit. Chris
Looking through their stuff and looks decent, solid core as you say, 6mm trim around the sides and 50mm off the bottom. Had never heard of them before yet they say they are the largest UK timber door supplier which is good and a decent array of sizes (although bespoke has a 5 month lead time). I think tweaking the frame (lowering) will be the way forward and looks like you've found me my door supplier so thank you! Delivery is a tad pricey (GBP75) so will get all the doors done in one go.

Need to finish my current project (Master bedroom) then whilst I'm finishing off the next one (WC) will get these ordered.

Looking through their stuff and looks decent, solid core as you say, 6mm trim around the sides and 50mm off the bottom. Had never heard of them before yet they say they are the largest UK timber door supplier which is good and a decent array of sizes (although bespoke has a 5 month lead time). I think tweaking the frame (lowering) will be the way forward and looks like you've found me my door supplier so thank you! Delivery is a tad pricey (GBP75) so will get all the doors done in one go.

Need to finish my current project (Master bedroom) then whilst I'm finishing off the next one (WC) will get these ordered.
Wow! I hadn't realise they offer bespoke doors, albeit with a long lead time - 5 months, you say. I have an understairs cupboard that needs a door to match their standard 'oak cottage pre-finished' doors. The stair cupboard opening is non-standard, ie, 780 x 1580mm, so I think I'll give them a call! Thanks.

Wow! I hadn't realise they offer bespoke doors, albeit with a long lead time - 5 months, you say. I have an understairs cupboard that needs a door to match their standard 'oak cottage pre-finished' doors. The stair cupboard opening is non-standard, ie, 780 x 1580mm, so I think I'll give them a call! Thanks.

If it's the style I think you mean it's quite easy to shorten a standard one, example of a joiner doing it on site below.

Back