Help Needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. I need some advice on refitting a toilet door. A new toilet has been fitted and now the door will not close. It looks good as though the door will have to move outwards on the casing by 60mm. I think then the hinges would be binding. I will try and post some photos. TIA

Attachments

• 20230918_100257.jpg
    20230918_100257.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_100312.jpg
    20230918_100312.jpg
    796 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_100233.jpg
    20230918_100233.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_100211.jpg
    20230918_100211.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230918_100245.jpg
    20230918_100245.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 0
The door does open inwards.

Before you make a final decision, sellotape some newspaper to the floor and draw out the swept path of the door from open to closed.

If it requires the person in the cloakroom to straddle the toilet pan or sit on the cistern in order for the door to operate, that will present some ergonomic challenges.

If the door only needs to open to 90 degrees you should be able to get away with moving the hinges outwards on the casing.

Can you swap over hinges to other side, a let door swing inwards but to the other direction.?

Maybe time for a bifold door ?

Would a bifold door have sufficient privacy for a bathroom?

From what I have seen, there is a gap in the centre (that would require an extra strip of wood to cover). At the handle end, the door pivots outwards when it opens meaning the strip of wood that side of the frame might have to be on the opening side. The bottom hinge fixes to the floor rather than the frame, meaning it is hard to make it work with some flooring choices.

In the end, there person who wanted it changed to a conventional door so I never had the cahllenge of making it work somehow.

Can you fit a compact cistern in the casing behind the bowl and move the bowl back.

Why all of a sudden doesn't the door close? It looks like there has been a close-coupled toilet fitted, but if the door doesn't close then it must be a bigger 'pan'. The fitter should come back with a smaller pan and fit it.

From the pictures it doesn't look like there's room for a sliding door. How about something really creative (or even mad if you like): a tambour door. 🤣🤣
Yeah! OK! I'll leave now.
1. Carefully cut the door with the profile of the pan so that the door will swing past it.
2. Attach the cut-out profile to the door frame so that it fits back in the cut when the door is closed.
Obvious innit. :unsure:
Keep it simple!

Last edited:
At a guess the original installation may have had a high level cistern with the toilet pan back against the wall, rather than forward of the cistern.

I suspect that careful measurement and replacement with a more compact unit may allow the door to open, but the space is limited and may only be possible standing to the side of the pan.

Can you fit a compact cistern in the casing behind the bowl and move the bowl back.
It's just been fitted & the plumber has left it up to someone else to sort out the door. All of this work is done voluntarily and there is not much money available. It is in a local sports & social club.

Why is there some boxing behind the toilet cistern get toilet fitted properly then the door won't be a problem you can't cover one cock up with an other

Back