Giving up the dreaded Weed!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nic is not only addictive it's a poison!
Used to be used as an insecticide as I recall.

Roy.

jlawrence":2ejwfyt9 said:
Firstly, yes I am a smoker. Which is one of the reasons why I've stayed out of this thread.

Smoking DOES NOT cause cancer. Smoking makes you more susceptible to some forms of cancer. There is a 'VERY' high correlation between smoking and lung cancer, but to say that smoking causes cancer isn't actually true. Science currently doesn't actually know 'what' causes cancer.

To be more precise, they don't know the mechanism. But smoking does have an (indirect, unknown, as you say) causal relationship with cancer.

BugBear

Who cares about the precise mechanism?

The fact remains, if you smoke cigarettes you are far more likely to develop lung cancer...

...or throat cancer

...or mouth cancer

...or any one of a vast number of chronic lung diseases

...or heart disease

...or suffer a stroke

...and to stink like a stale ashtray

... and increasingly to be a social outcast

... and to be unnatractive to the opposite sex

... and to spend a sizeable proportion of your disposable income enriching the owners of the tobacco companies

...and to spend your life as a pathetic drug addict

BradNaylor":2p3qr81z said:
Who cares about the precise mechanism?

The fact remains, if you smoke cigarettes you are far more likely to develop lung cancer...

...or throat cancer

...or mouth cancer

...or any one of a vast number of chronic lung diseases

...or heart disease

...or suffer a stroke

...and to stink like a stale ashtray

... and increasingly to be a social outcast

... and to be unnatractive to the opposite sex

... and to spend a sizeable proportion of your disposable income enriching the owners of the tobacco companies

...and to spend your life as a pathetic drug addict

Bleed--g hell Brad your a happy chappy tonight :wink: Only joking mate because of course you are 100% right.

Cheers

Mike

BigShot, I'm not sure I actually trust that website.
The UK is notorious for taking the most relaxed approach to pesticide safety in the EU
erm, well actually the opposite is true. Many EU countries are following the UK's lead in 'requiring' that (professional as opposed to home) pesticide users are certified. The requirements for pesticide use in the UK are in many cases way more stringent than they are in many other EU countries.
Where Bees are concerned you have to be very careful spraying, or risk a horrendously large fine.

Brad, you are of course correct. Smoking has a high correlation with many differing cancers - I was just pointing out that correlation and cause aren't the same.

At the end of the day, smoking really should be made illegal - either that or make it legal to do plenty of other things. Perhaps a suitable compromise would be for it to be illegal in any public place.[/quote]

The country with one of the longest life expectancy in the world is Japan and yet they also have amongst the highest rates of smoking. and what about those great artists and musiacians that smoked such as Picasso and the beatles. and there is also those chain smoking navvies that built the railroad and infrastructure of Britain. To all you smokers..we salute you.

jlawrence...
I think what it's getting at with the relaxed comment, is that there have been pesticides, such as neonicotinoids banned in other EU states (states seems like the wrong word now, what do we call it now the EU is the state?) available for use here.

The problem with pesticide use is that it isn't only a problem immediately after spraying. It is a problem later when the bees forage in sprayed areas.

The other problem with restrictions on spraying around bees is that the rules are basically unenforcable and so many "farmers" these days are the exact opposite of the "custodians of nature" (many, not all) that they couldn't give a monkey's about bees when they decide to spray... the same sort who'll butcher a hedgerow in autumn rather than waiting until late winter when the wildlife (and human foragers) have made use of the berries and other resources they rely on for winter survival.

Really pesticides are an all-round bad idea, but some of the chemicals licenced over here really should not be used under any circumstances. We may have licencing, but they are all too freely given out to unproven (and at times, unsafe - Aminopyralid for a recent example) chemicals.

As with many things (pesticide wise) the information that people are given quite often isn't the full picture. Trawling through the various scientific (and government dept) gobbledy gook ain't easy so we often rely on various info sources to tell us - not all of these info sources care to give the full picture.
'Some' Neonicotinoids have indeed been banned in 'some' EU countries but equally some have also lift (or partially lifted) their bans - I don't think any completely banned all Neonicotinoids.
There are bigger problems facing the 'honey' bee in the UK than Pesticides - I'm not saying here that Pesticides aren't a problem, as they may well be.
Farmers are a right royal pita really, many have what is termed 'Grandfather rights' which is something which should be got rid of completely - at least the number able to exercise them is dwindling as the old gits die off.
Part of the problem here in the UK (and elsewhere in the EU) is that you don't actually (legally) need to be certified in order to 'buy' pesticides, you just need to be certified in order to use them. I believe this loophole is allowing many people to buy 'professional' grade pesticides (not the rubbish you can get in the garden center) and use them illegally.
When people know the risks of illegal (or even incorrect) use then few will take that risk - I mean financial and personal risk not health risk. The problem is that it is often only those who are certified that are aware of the risk invovled.
Through my role as a grounds manager I'm involved in purchase and spraying of pesticides, certified at considerable expense so it annoys me that 'some' people get away with not being cert'd. You could say that it's laughable the precautions I take when handling pesticides only to then stick a cig in my mouth later on.

jlawrence":ahg0hxro said:
As with many things (pesticide wise) the information that people are given quite often isn't the full picture. Trawling through the various scientific (and government dept) gobbledy gook ain't easy so we often rely on various info sources to tell us - not all of these info sources care to give the full picture.
'Some' Neonicotinoids have indeed been banned in 'some' EU countries but equally some have also lift (or partially lifted) their bans - I don't think any completely banned all Neonicotinoids.
There are bigger problems facing the 'honey' bee in the UK than Pesticides - I'm not saying here that Pesticides aren't a problem, as they may well be.
Farmers are a right royal pita really, many have what is termed 'Grandfather rights' which is something which should be got rid of completely - at least the number able to exercise them is dwindling as the old gits die off.
Part of the problem here in the UK (and elsewhere in the EU) is that you don't actually (legally) need to be certified in order to 'buy' pesticides, you just need to be certified in order to use them. I believe this loophole is allowing many people to buy 'professional' grade pesticides (not the rubbish you can get in the garden center) and use them illegally.
When people know the risks of illegal (or even incorrect) use then few will take that risk - I mean financial and personal risk not health risk. The problem is that it is often only those who are certified that are aware of the risk invovled.
Through my role as a grounds manager I'm involved in purchase and spraying of pesticides, certified at considerable expense so it annoys me that 'some' people get away with not being cert'd. You could say that it's laughable the precautions I take when handling pesticides only to then stick a cig in my mouth later on.

My God reading this is enough to make anyone give up smoking :oops:

Ok Ok I have got my coat.

Cheers

Mike

jlawrence
I've got a sneaking suspicion that beekeeping itself might be part of the problem... that's heading for some mega thread-drift there though.
If interested check the biobees website for the view that bees should be able to act like bees and not forced by people.

Mike - apologies for the drift.
Started to taste your food yet?

BigShot":20l3r8zr said:
jlawrence
I've got a sneaking suspicion that beekeeping itself might be part of the problem... that's heading for some mega thread-drift there though.
If interested check the biobees website for the view that bees should be able to act like bees and not forced by people.

Mike - apologies for the drift.

Yes I am, whether the full taste is back yet I am unsure, but things certainly taste a lot better.

Cheers

Mike

Digit":4wvvayl9 said:

Once you can the next step is to grow your own!

Roy.

Hi Roy, the wife has been growing her own fruit and veg for years, the only thing is since we moved to Scotland we cannot grow a decent Cox's Orange pippin, and I love a pippin.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":33gbn5nj said:
My God reading this is enough to make anyone give up smoking :oops:

Indeed Mike. If I attempted to spray (on my cricket grounds) some of the chemicals present in cigs I'd likely end up bankrupt and in jail for a considerable length of time.
When you think of it like that it's quite stunning that the things are legal to smoke.

Mike - have you spoken to any locals about that?
Can't beat a bit of local knowledge on that front. I dunno what tricks there could be - but maybe there's a little known heritage variety you could go for or something - I dunno, just guessing, but it's worth trying.

Maybe get in touch with (the name might be wrong) Armagh Heritage Orchard. I have a feeling they might be more slanted towards Irish varieties, but they might be able to help with a Pippin for colder areas.
I only know about them after seeing them on that Jimmy's Farming Heroes - in fact there may well be one closer to you, I dunno. Worth a thought though.

My advice for what its worth

DON'T try and give up !
Dont try and cut down !
Dont move over to roll ups
Dont use plastic fag substitutes
Dont use patches

If you do any of the above , you will not stop smoking

The only way is as follows

Make up your mind you are GOING TO STOP

AND STOP

its the only way

All of the above are reasons NOT to give up

The only way is to BIN everything to do with smoking the day the bin men come

It worked for me , 25 years ago and yes I did all the above and failed

UNTIL I SAID THAT'S IT I DON'T SMOKE ANY MORE

PM me if you need any other advice Wink

BigShot":3bv47dsg said:
Mike - have you spoken to any locals about that?
Can't beat a bit of local knowledge on that front. I dunno what tricks there could be - but maybe there's a little known heritage variety you could go for or something - I dunno, just guessing, but it's worth trying.

Maybe get in touch with (the name might be wrong) Armagh Heritage Orchard. I have a feeling they might be more slanted towards Irish varieties, but they might be able to help with a Pippin for colder areas.
I only know about them after seeing them on that Jimmy's Farming Heroes - in fact there may well be one closer to you, I dunno. Worth a thought though.

Thanks Bigshot, we are sitting here eating Orange Pippins sent up from down south (which are few and far between) and a bit of thought such as yours might solve the problem.

I know that some people think they are rubbish, I have even heard them called "Common Rubbish" by some old snotty cow, but I do love a pippin, (its got to be an Orange pippin though), theres nothing like them IMHO, the only trouble is according to SWMBO they are not very disease resistent, hence the reason that except in private gardens they are few and far between.

I have just thought, I maybe giving up one addiction for another, is there such a thing as a "Orange Pippin" addict :roll:

Thanks for all your help, advice and support guys, your true gents. Now where did she hide those Pippins :-k :-k

EDIT: Blister thanks for the advice. Except for dozens of Starburst sweets I have given it up without the things you mention, but sweets are still a crutch really :oops:

Cheers

Mike

For those of you that were a fantastic support when I first gave up the weed, I thought that I would update you and say that it will be six months on Monday since I had my last smoke :lol:

I will not pretend that it has been easy because it hasn't, and there has been times that I could have lit up and started again. But besides letting SWMBO down the next biggest deterrent has been seen as a failure by everyone including you lot :wink:
It's easy to say, but the forum members who took part in this thread were more of a help that any chewing gum or patches (not that I used any of them) could be. Just by having their support and telling me that I could do it helped tremendously. So take a bow you lot and have a collective slap on the back, because you deserve it =D> =D>

Cheers

Mike

Having been addicted in the past to prescription drugs Mike I can say that giving up the weed was in a different class.
Well done mate, one of the best things you will ever do!
Hopefully your success will help convince others that it can be done!

Roy.

Back