Giving up the dreaded Weed!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone given up or is trying to give up the dreaded weed? :evil:

Does it get any easier ](*,) :?:

I had my last smoke just under 3 weeks ago, but the craving seems to be as bad as ever.

Due to health problems the doctors thought I had given it up ages ago, but even though I tried time and time again (or thats what I told myself) I just could not stop for more then 4 or 5 days. Then 3 weeks ago I caught the LOML crying and lets just say that I have been putting her through hell with the worry.

Anyway I promised her there and then that I would give it up, and after dozens of packets of Chewits and Starbursts (last time I had them they were called Opal Fruits :roll: ) and almost 21 days of pulling my hair out, here I am still wanting a smoke.
Theres no way in this world that I am going to let her (or myself) down by smoking again, but I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to make it go easier?

I have seen adverts for NHS patches, chewing gum, and some wonder pill that claims you give up a "Cigarette at a time", and even phone numbers where you can chat to people, but does any of it make things easier, and does the day come when you can smell a fag or a nice cigar and simply do not want one, or will I always be tempted?

Cheers

Mike

Keep at it Mike I gave up 20 years ago and have seen my
friend die of cigarette related disease..absolutely horrendous..
You are on the right track & 3 weeks is great the cravings will
ease as the days roll on..Hate to quote the gov advert but
One day at a time...

Do not give in...... :wink:
Good luck
alex

Hi,

I gave up years ago, it took about 3 weeks to start geting over the cravings, so stick with it.

Pete

grass up your dealer??

Sorry, hat, coat....

Thanks guys, its good to hear it gets easier. :lol:

One thing that I did notice the other day was the smell of my clothes. It gets a bit nippy up here this time of year and so I went to put my Demart thermal vest on, and by mistake I picked up a dirty one that the wife was just about to put in the wash, and as I pulled it over my head, the smell nearly made me physically sick, I just never realised I smelled that bad.

Sorry if I am offending anyone who still smokes, I just never realised how bad the smoke smells when it gets into your clothes.

Cheers

Mike

That's probably the main reason I never took up smoking. I just couldn't get over the stink of it. Never made sense to me. But then I don't have an addictive nature.

wizer":53elcutt said:
That's probably the main reason I never took up smoking. I just couldn't get over the stink of it. Never made sense to me. But then I don't have an addictive nature.

Believe it or not Tom, I never had any idea it smelled that bad. It must be because I got used to it over the years. If I had smelled what I did the other day I would have given it up years ago.

Cheers

Mike

makes me feel sick when someone gets next to me on the train and they stink of it.

Mike.C":3pdie8ne said:
wizer":3pdie8ne said:

Believe it or not Tom, I never had any idea it smelled that bad. It must be because I got used to it over the years. If I had smelled what I did the other day I would have given it up years ago.

Cheers

Mike

When I gave up I was also embarrassed about how I smelled...
But when you have recently given up you become hypersensitive to the smell - I could smell the driver in the car in front smoking!

I once had a kid at school accuse me of being a smoker 'because I smelled so bad' - in fact I had spent a few minutes in the smokers' staff room.

I never started and can honestly say that I've never, ever touched a cigarette packet. However my daughter is a smoker (though not in the house regardless of the weather outside, which is where she smokes) and I've noticed from time to time that there's this nasty, all pervading whiff when she's had a couple which is very, very unpleasant.
All I will say though Mike is to keep at it, even though I have no idea what you're going through - Rob

Mike.C":mbnr2q73 said:
Has anyone given up or is trying to give up the dreaded weed? :evil:

Does it get any easier ](*,) :?:

I had my last smoke just under 3 weeks ago, but the craving seems to be as bad as ever.

Due to health problems the doctors thought I had given it up ages ago, but even though I tried time and time again (or thats what I told myself) I just could not stop for more then 4 or 5 days. Then 3 weeks ago I caught the LOML crying and lets just say that I have been putting her through hell with the worry.

Anyway I promised her there and then that I would give it up, and after dozens of packets of Chewits and Starbursts (last time I had them they were called Opal Fruits :roll: ) and almost 21 days of pulling my hair out, here I am still wanting a smoke.
Theres no way in this world that I am going to let her (or myself) down by smoking again, but I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to make it go easier?

I have seen adverts for NHS patches, chewing gum, and some wonder pill that claims you give up a "Cigarette at a time", and even phone numbers where you can chat to people, but does any of it make things easier, and does the day come when you can smell a fag or a nice cigar and simply do not want one, or will I always be tempted?

Cheers

Mike

Giving up cigs - took a fair few goes. With Patches - the heavy ones - I was smoking on top! Then got the magic pill - Zyban. 1st 2 times fell back off the wagon. 3rd time - been good for almost 8 yrs. Never had the craving like in the old sense. If I get a shot of smoke, wakes up the brain cells, but they don't react like they used to, to it. Wretching is normally the 1st inclination.

I quit many years ago but I still sometimes dream I am smoking. The craving does go away but I found the notion that I was a non smoker took much longer. I linked not smoking to buying something I really wanted (a boat) and that made my resolve much stronger. If there is something you have denied yourself or yourself and your wife, go for it but make it a condition of not smoking. It really will help.

That does work.
We also worked out what we were robbing our children of by spending a couple of grand a year on cigarettes. Then they were about £1.90 a pack.

Now:

£5.85 a pack. We were on 40 a day = £11.70x2x365. That's eight and a half grand a year...

Smudger":3smryfvy said:
You can tell the homes of smokers when marking their kid's homework...

I've also noticed quite a few items in eBay, such as computers, that make a feature of never having being used in a smoke filled environment.

Good luck with it, Mike.

The monetary side of smoking is one of the reasons we gave up but
we was surprised how much we did save not smoking..that was when
we gave up the sweets and gum we bought to keep us of the weed.

Try avoiding people who smoke for the next few day if poss especially
if you are struggling a bit.found it use to make my craving worse..

Who else found it harder after a meal...lol
What sence did that make..lovely meal and then a foul tasting Fag... :lol:

jaymar":2bokcfen said:
I quit many years ago but I still sometimes dream I am smoking. The craving does go away but I found the notion that I was a non smoker took much longer. I linked not smoking to buying something I really wanted (a boat) and that made my resolve much stronger. If there is something you have denied yourself or yourself and your wife, go for it but make it a condition of not smoking. It really will help.

Don't get me wrong SWMBO is over the moon that I have given up smoking, but boy you want to see her eyes light up when she read Jaymar's post :D It's a great idea though, and you can be sure that we will be talking about it in the days to come. \:D/

Many thanks to each and everyone of you for your support.

Cheers

Mike

Back