Giving up the dreaded Weed!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
studders":2ns2b8v4 said:
BradNaylor":2ns2b8v4 said:
As an ex-smoker you will laugh inwardly whenever a smoker tells you that they 'enjoy' smoking. The self delusion is amazing.

You have already got your senses of taste and smell back. You will learn shortly that you don't get really bad hangovers any more - no matter how much you drink!

Brad
Well as a smoker I've kept out of this until now, don't think my views would be all that popular but....

The above is total rubbish IMO, it's also rather contradictory. Alcohol and Nicotine are both drugs, both are addictive and both are unnecessary for our survival, as are many things, cars being one notable example. To say those who claim to enjoy smoking, as I do, are deluded is an insult to my intelligence. I know the risks, I know the effects of doing so, I'm not an silly person nor am I deluded. I also try to be fair in my habit; if I have guests I go outside for a smoke.
I'd also point out that I personally know of six people who have died from cancer, including my mum. Of those only one smoked and only one other , that being my mum, lived with someone who smoked.
There are many things that deface and pollute this planet and the air that we breathe, most of them probably unnecessary. So a little less hypocrisy would be appreciated.

This is a worthwhile read. As an ex smoker (14-42yrs old) I know how annoying all of us spoilsports can be. Have a read and tell us your views.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Eas ... 0140277633

Enjoy a cigarette or 20 while reading it I did :lol:

bugbear":32ogv41p said:
Looked like it to me.

The old "they say it causes cancer but a guy in my village smoked all his life and lived to be 107" style of logic.

BugBear

That's your interpretation of what I said. I'm not actually that stupid.

Tom K":2bxaopv1 said:
This is a worthwhile read. As an ex smoker (14-42yrs old) I know how annoying all of us spoilsports can be. Have a read and tell us your views.

I got as far as the bit where stated he didn't beleive in fairies, for me he lost all credibility after that. :wink:

studders":3kf4gww0 said:
bugbear":3kf4gww0 said:
Looked like it to me.

The old "they say it causes cancer but a guy in my village smoked all his life and lived to be 107" style of logic.

BugBear

I'm glad to hear it. You might want to express yourself more clearly in the future to avoid people thinking you're that stupid.

BugBear

bugbear":16llmf73 said:
studders":16llmf73 said:
bugbear":16llmf73 said:
Looked like it to me.

BugBear

I'm glad to hear it. You might want to express yourself more clearly in the future to avoid people thinking you're that stupid.

BugBear

You might want to read more carefully and make fewer assumptions that make you look like a point scoring troll.

End of conversation with you BTW, I've seen your 'style' before and it's rather boring. Ta Ta.

studders":tt0wh90d said:
Tom K":tt0wh90d said:
You only need to turn on the TV to know fairys exist.
Not even that, I've seen them in my Garden. One of them had a fag in his mouth. :shock:

I'll bet he was gasping for a cig afterwards :lol:

Tom K":1lnsjd2o said:
studders":1lnsjd2o said:
Tom K":1lnsjd2o said:
Not even that, I've seen them in my Garden. One of them had a fag in his mouth. :shock:

:lol:

Apologies to Mike for taking the thread off course. I wish you all the best in your attempt to give up.

studders":27uk6mdp said:
Tom K":27uk6mdp said:
studders":27uk6mdp said:
Tom K":27uk6mdp said:

:lol:

Apologies to Mike for taking the thread off course. I wish you all the best in your attempt to give up.

No problem mate everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as they are entitled to smoke if they want too.

I must admit I did think twice about starting this thread, but I really felt myself slipping and so I needed advice from other ex smokers, and I have to admit the support I have received has really helped a lot (that and the sweets :D )

Thanks Brad, and you Agree (well done to both you and your wife on giving up). My wife has never smoked and it has only been in the last couple of weeks that I have read how much damage my second hand smoke could be damaging her :oops:

Again sorry if this thread has offended any smokers, it certainly is not meant to.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":7msb0gad said:
My wife has never smoked and it has only been in the last couple of weeks that I have read how much damage my second hand smoke could be damaging her :oops:Mike
I've thought similar with regards to my mum. I can't help wondering if I was the cause of her illness and I can't help feeling guilty about it.
Mike.C":7msb0gad said:
Again sorry if this thread has offended any smokers, it certainly is not meant to.

Cheers

Mike

No offence taken with you at all Mike. You need all the help and support you can muster, hell, even I'll support you where I can. Good luck.

When the first major scare about smoking causing lung cancer hit the media I recall a heavy smoking friend of mine commenting that it frightened him so much that he had to have a fag to calm his nerves!

Roy.

hi mike

I gave it up some thirty yrs ago , I used to smoke thirty a day, I have never missed it at all from that day onwards , All you need is self determination that you can live without them , every time you think you need a smoke , just think what life would be like for the LOYL without you, don't forget your the LOHL, I am really sorry mike if that blunt . hc

keep smiling mike, for you tomorrow is as yet unspoilt, just don't give in .

head clansman":tdgo5t1a said:
hi mike

I gave it up some thirty yrs ago , I used to smoke thirty a day, I have never missed it at all from that day onwards , All you need is self determination that you can live without them , every time you think you need a smoke , just think what life would be like for the LOYL without you, don't forget your the LOHL, I am really sorry mike if that blunt . hc

keep smiling mike, for you tomorrow is as yet unspoilt, just don't give in .

Hi Martin,

Be as blunt as you want, because its the truth, and we have been together so long neither my wife nor myself would know what to do without each other.
After all this time if I go back to smoking now and then end up on my death bed with lung cancer, isn't that a form of suicide? Don't I then deserve all I get because I am almost/or am over the addiction?

I am not saying that those that smoke are doing this because you are addicted and 99% of us when we started smoking did not know that it was addictive or the damage it could do to our bodies.

Cheers

Mike

hi mike

Be as blunt as you want, because its the truth, and we have been together so long neither my wife nor myself would know what to do without each other.

like wise mike .

After all this time if I go back to smoking now and then end up on my death bed with lung cancer, isn't that a form of suicide? Don't I then deserve all I get

who says it will be you(on your death bed) and not your wife from passive smoking, what would you feel like then (no garantee it came from you though , but the first thing you would do is blame yourself). sorry mike, i am very anti smoking cant stand the smell of it , i certainly don't want to breath something that has been expelled from someone elses lungs whos lungs can't cope with the smoke , and i don' t want my wife to breath it in either, she feel the same as i do. hc

head clansman":3tfis81q said:
hi mike

like wise mike .

After all this time if I go back to smoking now and then end up on my death bed with lung cancer, isn't that a form of suicide? Don't I then deserve all I get

who says it will be you(on your death bed) and not your wife from passive smoking, what would you feel like then (no guarantee it came from you though , but the first thing you would do is blame yourself). sorry mike, i am very anti smoking cant stand the smell of it , i certainly don't want to breath something that has been expelled from someone elses lungs whos lungs can't cope with the smoke , and i don' t want my wife to breath it in either, she feel the same as i do. hc

I wouldn't say that I am anti smoking, but thats only because I know how hard it has been for me to give it up, and I wouldn't wish the climbing up the walls on anyone. But maybe thats my fault doing it without trying the patches etc.
I do know how I would feel if my passive smoke gave someone cancer :cry:

Cheers

Mike

Firstly, yes I am a smoker. Which is one of the reasons why I've stayed out of this thread.

Smoking DOES NOT cause cancer. Smoking makes you more susceptible to some forms of cancer. There is a 'VERY' high correlation between smoking and lung cancer, but to say that smoking causes cancer isn't actually true. Science currently doesn't actually know 'what' causes cancer.
Lots of things make you more susceptible to cancer (smoking perhaps more than anything else) but they don't currently know what actually causes the damn stuff.

Smoking is certainly bad for you and I dare say that there's a very good arguement for making it illegal - I believe it's a heck of a lot more dangerous than cannabis for example.

Smoking causes the NHS approx £2.7bn a year (as of 2008) and brings in approx 10bn in tax revenues. Hmmm, I wonder why it's not made illegal.
Yes, the govenment spend some money on discouraging smoking, but that money is tiny in comparison to the amount they collect.
How much smoking costs the economy as a whole is another matter.

For anyone who has actually got off the stuff, well done - I have no doubt at all that you'll feel a lot more healthy (both physically and in the wallet).

jlawrence":hfd35ptm said:
Firstly, yes I am a smoker. Which is one of the reasons why I've stayed out of this thread.

Smoking DOES NOT cause cancer. Smoking makes you more susceptible to some forms of cancer. There is a 'VERY' high correlation between smoking and lung cancer, but to say that smoking causes cancer isn't actually true. Science currently doesn't actually know 'what' causes cancer.
Lots of things make you more susceptible to cancer (smoking perhaps more than anything else) but they don't currently know what actually causes the damn stuff.

Smoking is certainly bad for you and I dare say that there's a very good arguement for making it illegal - I believe it's a heck of a lot more dangerous than cannabis for example.

Smoking causes the NHS approx £2.7bn a year (as of 2008) and brings in approx 10bn in tax revenues. Hmmm, I wonder why it's not made illegal.
Yes, the govenment spend some money on discouraging smoking, but that money is tiny in comparison to the amount they collect.
How much smoking costs the economy as a whole is another matter.

For anyone who has actually got off the stuff, well done - I have no doubt at all that you'll feel a lot more healthy (both physically and in the wallet).

Hi Mate thanks for your input. I have often wondered what the government would do if we all gave up smoking and driving? Not likley to happen but how would they cope with the loss of billions in income?

Cheers

Mike

Mike - I know I'm late on this thread but I thought it was worth adding something which may help you further and is certainly worth including for future reference in case anyone finds this thread in a search.

Firstly, nicotine is pretty much the most addictive drug known to man (if it's not the top slot, it's close) and more addictive in and of itself than heroin so well done battling a tough one.

The main point though is this.
From the moment you smoke your "last" cigarette starts to wear off you will get a very real craving for the things. That's the drug. Your body is dependent on it and things will be tough while you get over that dependency. So what's the silver lining?

The silver lining is that as addictive as it is, the craving for the nicotine will end in a week or two. When you started this thread - you were already over the nicotine addiction.

So why is it so difficult?

It's difficult because most people who quit are trying to break a habit - and that's where they go wrong, they are trying to quit TWO habits. One habit is the nicotine dependency as already discussed - the other is the habit of smoking. The act itself.

When do you usually smoke?
After a meal?
On a break from work?
After an argument?
When you're half way through your first pint down the local?
When anyone else lights up?
After the more "intimate" moments with your other half? (Don't worry I'm not asking for an answer to these - they are just suggestions)

Each of those situations is a trigger for you to go through a routine you've been doing sever times a day for many years.

If someone starts smoking at 16 and quits at 26 averaging just 10 per day they'll have opened the box, selected a cigarette, tapped it on the box/knuckle/lighter, cupped their hands, lit the lighter and taken the first drag 36,500 times.

If you've been on 20 a day for more like 30 years that's 219,000 times.

The point is, the actual routine of smoking and its association with a good meal, a pint, a coffee, sex, stress release and so on - repeated tens or hundreds of thousands of times - becomes almost as much a part of your life as breathing.

So what does it all mean?

Firstly, once you're over the 1 to 2 week hump - you're not addicted to nicotine any more. From that point on the only thing you are fighting is your own routine and your own habit. It's all you.

Anyone who's given up a non-drug habit can attest to how difficult that can be (lock checkers, light switchers, weird movements and ticks, all that kind of stuff) but it is entirely possible.

Just remember, you're over the nicotine, now you're getting over yourself. Because it's just you there's nothing to stop you being successful.

The other advice given about positive mentality, tying smoking to something desirable and so on all seems great - but I thought I'd wade in with a bit of and explanation of the situation which helps many people stop.

All the best!

Back