...ed Off...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
And I am. "****ed off", I mean.
First, it was a problem concerning a roofing job that wasn't finished properly, but only noticed after the scaffolding came down.
Then it was some replacement seamless aluminium guttering that didn't get fitted, again post-scaffolding.
Then the mess resulting from the old rendering being taken off and new stuff banged on.
This morning, courtesy of the wind, this....
I don't know what you call it : L shaped "plastic", about 4" by 3", maybe 1/4" thick. It ran along the roof slates edge, presumably to stop water getting "behind" the new render?
But look how it's been fastened on! See the occasional glob of "adhesive"?! Not even a bead of the stuff running down the length!

roof thing.jpg

An attempt (bodge) at a Dry Verge.

Ah.
Thanks for that.
Just googled it, and yes, I think you're spot on. At least I know what to complain about now!
Just shows you - these three jobs, roofing, guttering, render removal and then the new stuff - involved 4 different companies, all "well respected" and known.
Just back in the house after making sure that the "dry verge" hadn't ****ed anything else on its way down - it might only be plastic, but there's a fair weight to it considering the length.

hate to say it but there's very few tradesmen I trust anymore, hope you get it sorted out.

Were you not suspicous when they turned up on horseback !

Ha!
If the jobs had been done by Bert and his mates from the Frog and Gibbet for £50, I could maybe believe it.
However it looks as though Bert and his mates from the Frog and Gibbet have got themselves proper employment, got web sites with testimonials, signwritten vans and have watched the odd YouTube video on how to "do stuff"!

It is sad to say the general quality of work today is pretty poor. I had a roof leak fixed and gutters replaced on our rental place. The builder has replaced our gutters but failed to realise next doors gutter was sagging so our water had nowhere to go. I had to pay for new scaffolding and to get the neighbours gutter replaced. Would have been nice not to have paid for scaffolding twice at least. My daughter has just had her bathroom refitted. They are on leak number two now…. To say nothing of me having to climb through their roof space to tack some poly sheet inside to stop the water running through the ceiling from the roof leak that was ‘supposedly’ fixed just after the bought the house. The square of felt used to cover the ‘hole’ wasn’t even fixed and didn’t address the actual problem which is flashing between the two roof pitches.
There does seem to be a lack of pride in doing a good job.

It is sad to say the general quality of work today is pretty poor.
A lot of this must just come down to the need to make money and more money, you do notice that there is a lack of pride in almost any area you look be it builders or people in general as demonstrated by the huge volumes of junk thrown out of cars. No one seems to care about anything anymore, do they actually believe the future is so bad that nothing is worth worrying about anymore. Have we actually made life so fast paced that we don't have time for the detail, it is a throw away culture where people try and only deliver the bare minimum rather than delivering an outstanding service but how have we got into such a mess when even the simple things like a roof leak becomes a difficult task. A lot of the issues must come down to training and the sort of industries we once had where quality was just black and white, right or wrong with no that will do attitude. Thinking back to lacing looms for GEC, the inspector would use calipers to ensure all the lacing knots were evenly spaced and if he was not pleased then you had to redo the lacing, this sort of thinking sets you up for life so what you deliver is the same quality whether you can see it or not and you don't look for the easy fix it quick solution but something that is long term.

.... A lot of the issues must come down to training and the sort of industries we once had where quality was just black and white, right or wrong with no that will do attitude.....

Great post.
Nail on the head, methinks.

There are some tradesmen who are good & they will charge accordingly. I know a carpenter like this, but he now employs a couple of guys, He has rakes of work, Likewise a plasterer, of the three i asked for a quote for our extension, One turned up & looked like he had been dipped in the stuff. he was marginally the cheapest on price. Second guy was a prima donna who gave an astronomical quote. Third guy turned up on time to look at the job & wasnt himself covered in plaster. Likewise his van was clean & tidy. Not the cheapest but he got the job.
At 7:45am he & a lad turned up, ten minutes later the lad was mixing plaster at 8:00am they started plastering. ten minutes at lunch time for a drink of water & a roll & on again to finish at three. Fast clean & efficient & a fabulous job.
Its finding blokes like this that is the hard bit!

There are some tradesmen who are good & they will charge accordingly. I know a carpenter like this, but he now employs a couple of guys, He has rakes of work, Likewise a plasterer, of the three i asked for a quote for our extension, One turned up & looked like he had been dipped in the stuff. he was marginally the cheapest on price. Second guy was a prima donna who gave an astronomical quote. Third guy turned up on time to look at the job & wasnt himself covered in plaster. Likewise his van was clean & tidy. Not the cheapest but he got the job.
At 7:45am he & a lad turned up, ten minutes later the lad was mixing plaster at 8:00am they started plastering. ten minutes at lunch time for a drink of water & a roll & on again to finish at three. Fast clean & efficient & a fabulous job.
Its finding blokes like this that is the hard bit!
Regretably not necesarily proof that the next time you need to call them you'll get the same :cry:

About 2 months ago I noticed a problem with my CH/DHW Boiler - the Hot water was 'intermittant' - sometime OK then not. It also meant that my digital shower couldn't reach the set temperature (Brrrrr....) Checking the display on the boiler I noticed an 'E50' was occationally displayed. Reading the manual it has only a general description "E50 indicates faulty components".

The last time I needed a Gas engineer was to service the boiler 18 months ago so I called the company that did that who I've known for some time and is a regular friend & supplier to my next door neighbour - seems likely to be reliable. After 3 weeks he still hadn't called me back so after a reminder call he apologised and booked me in for 10 days hence !! - He did eventually turn up some two hours late and spent all of 5 minutes looking at the display and making a note of the Bar-Code but saying that he would have to order a 'seal' which would take 3 days so booked me in for 5 days later.

I'm sure you'll appreciate that that date came & went even though I made a reminder call to be told that the 'seal' hadn't arrived.

A further two weeks passed and no further contact so I sort an alternative engineer. Left messages & e-mails at to companies. Ten days later got a call from one of them (still not heard from either of the first two!) who booked me in for the end of the following week.

He did arrive and at least took the main case front off and did some investigation but as the 'fault' was intermittant couldn't be sure of the reason - he did at least leave me with a working system and the shower usable - but suggested that I text him if the problem returned. Of course it did the following day!

He said that he'd order a component and see me in 2-3 days. True to his word he confirmed that he had the 'part' and would come again on 'Friday'. He did turn up saying "I'll try this cheap solution in hope" - He also discovered a gas leak from an isolating valve - I couldn't smell gas but his nose is obviously more acutely attuned. He cut out a length of pipe with the valve in it (there is a separate Isolating Valve on the boiler itself so that valve wasn't needed anyway :dunno: )

An hour later he was done & I had a safe, fully working, boiler again. He's now in my phone as a good contact but when I next need him - which may not be for some time - I have no idea whether he will be reliable. - It seems all 'tradesmen' are only as good as they need to be.

I have been a joiner for 30+ years now so know quite a few tradesmen, people ask me for recommendations for other trades all the time and are surprised when I often can't give them any. Many of the good people I know have retired, the other ones are too busy with their regular customers to take on any new ones.

I recently felt a bit let down by the roofer I use, never had a problem with him before and generally recommend him to people. I had to get him to come and look at some work his lads had done for me as I wasn't happy with it, he said "You're not wrong" and sent them back to put it right.

I know a good plasterer but a bit put off by the fact he will give you two prices, the first to just plaster the room and the second to plaster it and make a good job :(

I needed a new water line from the street to my house so decided to dig it in myself and just get a plumber to make the connection to the street main. Not really a good idea for an old man as the trench was 55 m long, but since I hadn't done anything like this before, went online to check on the rules and regulations. The plumber arrived just as I was ready to back fill the trench so he had a look at my handiwork. 'Why did you go so deep?' He asked. 'Its 60cm deep.' I replied, 'that's the regulation depth.'
'Is it? I didn't know that...'
Use a tradesman, they say. Get a proper job done.

A lot of this must just come down to the need to make money and more money, you do notice that there is a lack of pride in almost any area you look be it builders or people in general as demonstrated by the huge volumes of junk thrown out of cars. No one seems to care about anything anymore, do they actually believe the future is so bad that nothing is worth worrying about anymore. Have we actually made life so fast paced that we don't have time for the detail, it is a throw away culture where people try and only deliver the bare minimum rather than delivering an outstanding service but how have we got into such a mess when even the simple things like a roof leak becomes a difficult task. A lot of the issues must come down to training and the sort of industries we once had where quality was just black and white, right or wrong with no that will do attitude. Thinking back to lacing looms for GEC, the inspector would use calipers to ensure all the lacing knots were evenly spaced and if he was not pleased then you had to redo the lacing, this sort of thinking sets you up for life so what you deliver is the same quality whether you can see it or not and you don't look for the easy fix it quick solution but something that is long term.
You have hit the nail on the head but also punched it in...........something else they wouldn't necessarily do these days.

Back