Cnc router machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauljhaigh58

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all thinking of getting a Cnc machine to make parts for wood models.I have no idea where to start any suggestions please it is for hobby projects

You could do worse than looking here: Classified Ads, Buy, Sell & Swap

Without wanting to put you off the idea,lots of the machines that come up for sale do so because their owners find the business of getting to grips with CAD a bit too much of a leap.You then need to find a way to translate the essential elements of the job to Gcode and there are several ways to do this at all sorts of price points.If you intend to get into 3D objects,the challenge is a bit greater.An evening of watching youtube can be time well spent but be a bit cautious about advice offered by people promoting either a machine or software and try to find neutral advice.

The super cheap and low powered tabletop machines from the usual sales sites will teach you the basics,but they don't have the power to do much more than tickle some fine shavings off the workpiece.

The CNC sub forum here can be a source of advice too.

They come in all sorts of sizes and qualities and a wide prices. Have you got a budget in mind?
Brian

This is the sort of thing i like to do

Attachments

• IMG_7630.png
    IMG_7630.png
    940.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7629.png
    IMG_7629.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Is that the size it will cut ? Sorry I’ve know idea what size I would need and will it cut hardwood ie oak etc

Sorry I don’t think I will need a big Cnc set up do I only intend to make models like pic above

It will cut all woods and non ferrous metals
Engrave cut laser engrave cut thin stuff by laser
All within an envelope of 420x297x150
Vacuum beds vices computer software

Sorry I don’t think I will need a big Cnc set up do I only intend to make models like pic above
These m/c's are defined by the area of the table, eg, a 3020 will cut 30cm long (x-axis) and 20cm deep (y-axis). You have to delve into the spec to get the max z-axis capacity, but I dont think you'll find problem there for your items.
I would recommend going for a s/h machine where the seller can show you the ropes.
Your 3D items will need more knowledge of cutting bits than simple end mills which most of us use for 2D work
It looks as though your Morgan 3D CAD drawings are a purchased set. Do they include the g-code cutting routines?
Brian

Hi all thinking of getting a Cnc machine to make parts for wood models.I have no idea where to start any suggestions please it is for hobby projects
Hi Paul,

Without meaning to put you off, the hardest part of using a CNC is learning how to define the path (toolpath) the cutter will follow to create your model. As I’m sure others will say, the actual carving etc is the easy part as you just stand back and let the machine do the work.

Defining the toolpath generally means using a CAD package to create your design which then has to be converted to gcode which the CNC uses to carve it.

There are also software packages that do both the design and creation of gcode (for a price).

Be aware that while it is relatively easy to carve 2D patterns, 3D is a completely different ballgame!

i would also comment that if you decide to go ahead you should consider buying a machine that will fit in the space you have available because once people realise the capabilities of a CNC they wish they had bought a bigger one.

Tony

Hi Brian the drawings I have are pdf they don’t include gcode they are bought drawings ,not sure but I think they asked if I wanted svg files

Do they include the g-code cutting routines?
Brian

I'd be very surprised if you could purchase files for cutting any 3D object.There are several reasons,but mostly it boils down to machine power and size and the choice of cutter.It would be all too easy to specify a feed rate that kills a tiny machine and then you have the challenge of not producing a toolpath that causes the collet nut to rub.

Just caught the latest post and neither of those file formats work for 3D.The best you can expect will be engraving the outlines on a flat panel.As has been posted,3D is an order of magnitude more demanding than cutting out parts from a flat sheet.Not impossible,but be aware that the software can cost more than the machine if you need to create 3D toolpaths.

You can sidestep the expense if you endure the learning process for Freecad as it will create the 3d models and then the toolpaths.It isn't easy or intuitive though.

Hi tony I use a very basic drawing package for work
I think cutting parts out 2d would be ok then shaping to suit wouldn’t be a problem
The Morgan is from duchy patterns they are great drawings not sure if they do files for Cnc

You can create toolpaths form .svg files if you explore the capabilities of Inkscape.The other near universal file format to look for is .dxf.The important thing to note is that they are vector files and attempting to use raster file formats won't work.As I posted a little earlier,you are unlikely to find any actual cutting files for sale.They require the user to specify tool diameter and feed rate,not to mention cutting depth and you will always need to establish a part datum in three dimensions.

Is it worth looking into a course to learn the basics
Think 3d is out happy with 2d to cut out basic shapes
So what machines should I be looking at? Cost /which software sorry for dragging this out

Latest posts

Back